Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Interview tips with Japanese 2004/7/20 22:34
I have an Interview (not for a job) with Japanese poeple which will be conducted in English. Should I say hallo and thank you in Japanese or avoid that? If so, how are they said and pronounced? I was told that : hello in japanese ''sounds'' like: con-itch-ee-wa and thank you sounds like:
ar-i-gar-to domo. Is this correct?
Generally speaking, is japanese a language spoken ''through'' the nose? Should I shake hands? What is a woman expected to wear?
Thanks!
by El.  

Behave naturally 2004/7/21 13:09
You can behave as you are. If the interview is conducted in English you donft have to use any Japanese. Of course, saying ''Kon-ni-chi-wa'' instead of hello will make friendly atmosphere. Thank you is ''Do-mo ari-ga-to''.
Generally speaking, Japanese is not spoken through the nose. [Should I shake hands? What is a woman expected to wear? ] Whatever you feel natural in your own sense is OK.
by Shiro rate this post as useful

Thank you 2004/7/21 14:57
Dear Shiro,
I was really happy to find an answer so soon to my question - thank you! And just wanted say what a great sight this is - so multi-faceted and extensive. The more I get interested in Japan, its culture and its poeple, the more I am impressed. My next thought is to start learning Japanese... Thanks again!
by El rate this post as useful

Hmm..... 2004/7/21 16:16
A "konnichiwa" would be friendly indeed. But the thing is that (I don't know what kind of an interview you're facing but), job interviews start off more seriously. I don't think the term "konnichiwa" would be ever used. There are more complicated business greetings.

But a proper "arigatou-gozaimasu" sounds pretty safe to me whenever you want to say thank you. Don't forget the formal "-gozaimasu" part.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Well... 2004/7/21 16:35
...I took part in a writing contest about Japan and was invited for an Interview. And just when I was beginning to memorise Konnichiwa!
Thanks Uco!
by El. rate this post as useful

kenjyogo 2008/11/5 21:15
kenjyogo is the key you have to use it. like
your Name to moshimas. etc.
by alyssa rate this post as useful

.... 2008/11/5 22:41
If you really want the job, have business cards printed with your information in English on one side and Japanese on the other. I was chosen over 250 other applicants because of this.
by Beto rate this post as useful

Re: Interview tips with Japanese 2008/11/6 00:22
I took part in a writing contest about Japan and was invited for an Interview.
Can I assume that it is going to be some sort of journalistic interview where you will be asked about your submission to the contest? Nothing like a job interview or an interview where the outcome of the contest depends on that interview? If that is the case, it can be pretty informal and it could be fun to memorize the words suggested by Uco-san. However, I would play it save clothing-wize and wouldn't dress to informal.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/6 09:08
I think we can safely assume that El got the advice he needed and has had his interview already.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread