Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Baby Food Brands 2010/3/21 06:14
Hi,

I'll be travelling to Japan in the next few weeks and i was just wondering if anyone could advise me of any good baby food brands. Essentially, they will be small snacks that i would be after but nothing too sugary!

What brands are the best? Do they sell anything organic?!

Hope you can help and really appreciate it!

Thanks!
by TishTash  

. 2010/3/25 00:03
Tish Tash,

"Best" is different on every person. As far as I know, none here are "bad." Organic baby food is available at organic food stores often found in department store basements. If you can tell us what part of which city you will be staying at, someone might be able to give you advise on specific stores.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

"Best!" 2010/3/25 00:06
Hi! Thanks for your response!

By best, i really mean the least sugary. Am conscious that i will not understand the real ingredients in the food and whilst we don't have any allergies to deal with, it is never a good idea to charge a toddler with sugar!!!

I've heard of Kewpie, is this good?!

Thanks, Tasha
by TishTash rate this post as useful

"Best" 2010/3/25 00:08
We will be staying in Marunouchi/Ginza in Tokyo and in Higashiyama Shichijo in Kyoto.

Hope that helps!

. 2010/3/25 17:06
Tish Tash,

Kewpie is a long-running popular food maker also well-known for its baby food products, so I suppose you can say that most people think it's "good."

But a quick check on their official website tells me that a lot of their baby food contains sugar, while I have noticed that some don't. For example, "hotate to yasai no kuriimu-ni (scallop and vegetable cream stew)" doesn't contain sugar.
http://www.kewpie.co.jp/babyfood/allergy/item.php?jan=49840223

In Ginza area, there is an organic food store called Natural House. They have a branch on the B1 floor of Itocia mall in front of Yurakucho Station. Again, they're supposed to have baby food with sugar and some without, many being vegetarian.
http://www.naturalhouse.jp/item/c83.html

Either way, show a product to the shopkeepers and ask "No sugar?" They should be able to understand.

But note that in Japan as well, people are aware that babies should avoid too much sugar or salt (or, in Japan, spicy foods like chili pepper). When I was raising my baby a long time ago, I was extra conscious about what he eats, but I never worried about baby food containing too much sugar.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2010/3/25 17:27
Thank you for your reply! Really appreciate it! x

reply to this thread