Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rice sold in Europe and a rice cooker? 2010/4/9 16:50
Can rice sold in Europe (parboiled, basmati, brown rice etc.) be cooked well in a rice cooker made in Japan? What does this taste like?
I'm going back home soon, and there is no chance to buy real Japanese rice there.
I'm planning to buy a rice cooker/overseas model. Is this a good idea?
Appreciate your help.
by Francesca05  

Yes 2010/4/11 20:17
Hello Francesca,

yes, they will work well, too. You might have to adjust the correct amount of water slightly, but that'll be easy enough to find out. As for the brown rice, there should even be a special menu setting or button, Œº•Ä.

However, how sure are you that there won't be any Japanese rice available? You didn't write where you're from, but in general, it is available from Asia stores - normally marked as "sushi rice" (don't know why).
If all else fails, rice used for rice pudding will also do the trick, as well as risotto rice.

Kai
by umi2jp rate this post as useful

Where 2010/4/11 23:12
Which country do you live in? Europe is kinda big...Anyway I brought my parents a rice cooker (theyre in the UK) and they havent looked back since. They use it for plain american longgrain and basmati and it turns out beautifully. We bought the rice cooker in the UK. In fact ive just made onigiri with sushi rice that I bought in Sainsburys, they were quite good :)
by Lil (guest) rate this post as useful

rice cooker 2010/4/11 23:27
I use my rice cooker for all sorts of grains , like barley, millet etc. and to cook vegetables or even cook boneless chicken I place on uncooked rice..You just got to experiment!
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

If you are Italian .... 2010/4/12 00:56
Hello Francesca,
In Vercelli area (Northern Italy) akitakomachi rice is cultivated. Also Italian Arborio and Baldo rice varieties should be similar to Japanese ones.
by italian (guest) rate this post as useful

Japan centre 2010/4/20 17:39
If you ever do want to buy Japanese rice and live in England or Europe, then try buying it from Japan Centre. (www.japancentre.com)

Like someone else said, Akita Komachi is grown in Italy and in Spain. The kind I have is the Spanish kind, but I guess I prefer the Italian kind.
by MN (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread