Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Marriage question 2010/4/20 12:21
I know this may sound like a strange question but here goes

Is there a minim education requirement
for getting a marriage visa for example lets say I do not have a ged or high school diploma how would that be treated if I meet a girl in japan and wanted to get married and stay there ?
by Mister Annon (guest)  

Hmm... 2010/4/20 13:19
You know you need a degree to get a work visa to get to Japan in the first place right?
by LB (guest) rate this post as useful

spouse visa 2010/4/20 13:26
Mister Annon,

There aren't any educational requirements to obtain a spouse visa. More info on immigration can be found here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2221.html

LB,

Not everyone meets their Japanese partner in Japan, not to mention that there are other visa types that would allow the OP to live or work short term in Japan.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Do it 2010/4/20 17:57
No need for education to get married.

Are you a native English Speaker?
Then you can get a job as an English Teacher

Education come on, even non native people are teaching English in Japan

You can do, just do it

by SSS (guest) rate this post as useful

edited for clarity 2010/4/20 18:06
No need for education to get married.

Are you a native English Speaker?
Then you can get a job as an English Teacher
with a spouse visa

Education come on, even non native people are teaching English in Japan

You can do, just do it
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

re 2010/4/20 22:54
Iam American with a 8th grade education getting close to middle age who is sick of the American life from all the research I have done teaching English requires a college degree I did not know how someone with my low requirements would be treated even under a marriage visa hence the reason I asked.
by MIster Annon (guest) rate this post as useful

degree 2010/4/21 09:55
from all the research I have done teaching English requires a college degree

Teaching itself doesn't require a degree, rather it is an immigration requirement to obtain a work visa. If you were to obtain a different visa that allows work (i.e. spouse visa, working holiday visa, dependent visa, etc.) or have significant experience teaching already on your resume, then you would be able to teach in Japan without a degree provided you could find someone to hire you. However, unless you already in a relationship with a Japanese national, then I would advise looking into routes other than a spouse visa if you want to live and work in Japan long term.

re 2010/4/21 11:04
Thank you for the info that gives a little hope is a spouse visa the only one that will allow a person to look for work with educational requirements ?
by Mister Annon (guest) rate this post as useful

moving to japan 2010/4/21 11:24
Of the visas that apply to you, the work visa is the only one with an educational requirement, and even that may be bypassed if you have significant work experience in a specific field and an employer in that field interested in hiring you. This is probably your best option. The other visas that are theoretically available to you have other requirements besides education that you would probably not be able to fulfill as easily.

The first step though would be to travel to Japan as a tourist and see if it is a place that you would like to live. Living here comes with its own problems and difficulties that may not provide the relief that you are seeking.

re 2010/4/21 11:55
Understood thank you very much for the sound advice :)
by Mister Annon (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread