Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting a visa within Japan: 2010/4/26 14:29
Perhaps this has already been answered and it seems to say so on the "Immigration to Japan" page on this site, but I'm not so sure.

I have an Australian passport, I can stay in Japan for 90 days visa-free, but I am planning to stay there for 6 months. I am wondering if I can save the hassle of applying for a visa first, and instead go there on the 90 days free, and then when in Japan, obtain a proper visa.

Is this possible? Or how will it work with the return ticket and immigration if your return ticket date is 6 months later and you enter without a 6 month visa?
by Phil (guest)  

i don't think so... 2010/4/26 18:25
the 90 day tourist visa (or whatever it is called) is no problem but what 6 month visa do you think you are going to get? work visa? student visa?

i think you would have to leave japan at the end of 3 months. a quick trip to seoul is pleasant and then come back and get a new 3 month visa.

your return ticket might be a problem. i had an "open" ticket so when i arrived in japan it looked as though i was going to go home in 3 months but i just changed the date later.
by rick (guest) rate this post as useful

why not WHV? 2010/4/26 19:49
What 6 month visa are you thinking of? To stay longer than 90 days consecutively, you must apply for (and also qualify for) a longer-term visa like a working visa, student visa etc, and these are usually given in one year or three year versions.

Otherwise you will have to try your luck with the visa run to Seoul as mentioned above, but be aware that there is no guarantee you will get back in as Japan Immigration is being increasingly strict with people who do this kind of visa run.

If you are under 31 then the best option would be a working holiday visa, which will let you stay 6 months at first, then you can extend for a total of 18 months.

If you do not have the working holiday visa and buy a flight which has a return date of more than 90 days into the future, it is very possible that you will not allowed to board the plane in Australia without first changing the date.

If you do decide to try the visa run then it is better to buy a ticket you can change, book the for 90 days in the future at first, then change it later.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Do this 2010/4/27 16:39
Come to Japan, you will get a 90 tourist visa, then before the 90 days are up go to S. Korea for the weekend and then come back to Japan and get another 90 day tourist visa, worked for me.

by mmm (guest) rate this post as useful

Not for everyone 2010/4/28 10:00
The point is, it is not guaranteed to work. Most times it does, but you shouldn't expect to be able to do it again in the same year.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread