Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 51

1 2 3
next

Japan Passport procedure for baby in USA 2010/5/21 04:02
Feel free to answer any of the following questions if you have an answer...

Yesterday my husband and I went to register our marriage and the birth of our daughter to his koseki at the Japan counsulate in NYC.

About how long does it take before that information is processed in Japan?

And to get a Japanese passport, we read that we need the ORIGINAL baby's koseki, not a copy? So his family can go to the registration place in Japan and send us the original? The government dont mind giving us the original? lol

Also we need something like Birth certificate AND proof of existance of the baby? (something like baby registration...) I forget the real terminalogy that was said, but would that be her Immunization record from the hospital or something?

Later, me and the baby will be going to Japan to stay a while. I will go on a Spouse visa and she will go on the Japanese passport, my husband will stay in America.

I should register at the same place to get my ''Gaijin resident card'' and the baby's ''juuminhyou''??

Since I am a spouse of a Japanese,can I register for my own bank account as well? What about health insurance and any benefits for the baby since she is a citizen?
by Reina Jess  

. 2010/5/21 10:17
And to get a Japanese passport, we read that we need the ORIGINAL baby's koseki, not a copy? So his family can go to the registration place in Japan and send us the original? The government dont mind giving us the original? lol

They just mean the copy that the ward office gives you--not a photocopy of that copy. Anybody listed on his koseki can get a copy of it but he can also get it himself through the mail. Instructions are on his city's homepage.

Later, me and the baby will be going to Japan to stay a while. I will go on a Spouse visa and she will go on the Japanese passport, my husband will stay in America.

Did the embassy say you can do this? My guess is that you won't get a spouse visa if your husband stays behind in NY.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Going to Japan without him 2010/5/21 12:28
Um, as long as he's not some green card holder/permanent resident of the US, I think it's allowed.

and I dont thinks a big deal. His family has to get the certificate of eligibility and send it to the U.S. I get my visa and leave. How are they gonna know that he's not coming, or he's not already in Japan when I arrive. Not like they gonna call him up and make sure he's there.

Otherwise what visa I'm getting when I go with the baby, "Mom of Japanese citizen"? lol
by Reina Jess rate this post as useful

. 2010/5/21 13:56
You're probably right. If they don't know about it then you should be able to the the spouse visa.

There will be a new law requiring spouse visa holders to live with their spouses. I don't think it'll take effect for a couple of years so you should be fine.

BTW, there is a "mom of a Japanese child" visa. It has a different name but it exists.

spouse visa possible? 2010/5/21 14:11
I also wonder if Reina Jess has confirmed with the consulate that it will be possible for her to get a spouse visa. It is my understanding that a spouse visa is for the purpose of allowing a non-Japanese person to live with their Japanese spouse, in Japan.

As above, it will soon become law that the spouses must live together to qualify fir a visa, and I believe it is already something that the ministry of Justice considers to be necessary. If they can produce documentation to make it look like her husband currently lives in Japan then it may be possible, but I wonder, because my husband had to show his tax certificates and proof of employment when we got my spouse visa.

If the in-laws or other people living in Japan are named as the financial supporters in the application then this may not be necessary, but then that always raises the question as to why the spouse is not the financial supporter if he is supposedly living in Japan.

Also, any misrepresentation in visa applications can lead to that person being refused entry to Japan in the future, even spouses, so I have to ask if it would be a risk worth taking.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

spouse visa 2010/5/21 14:42
A spouse visa may not actually apply to your situation, but I'm not positive how they work when you are arriving to Japan on one without your spouse. You had better check with your local Japanese Consulate just to be sure.

Otherwise what visa I'm getting when I go with the baby, ''Mom of Japanese citizen''? lol

As an American you can enter on a temporary 90 day visa without applying. How long do you plan to stay in Japan?

I should register at the same place to get my ''Gaijin resident card'' and the baby's ''juuminhyou''??

Yes, the local city hall where your husbands family register (koseki) is held. I'm assuming your daughter has already been added to your husband's koseki, correct?

Since I am a spouse of a Japanese,can I register for my own bank account as well?

Yes, you just need to show your ARC. It takes about 2 weeks for some places to issue an ARC so make sure you get the paper equivalent (I forget the name of the certificate) if you plan to make a bank account before you get the actual ARC.

What about health insurance and any benefits for the baby since she is a citizen?

You should register at city hall for social insurance, and you will both be covered by national health care while you are in Japan regardless of your citizenship.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

They do call 2010/5/21 14:48
Reina Jess,I noticed that you commented that it's "not like they're gonna call him up and ask", but this shows that you are not familiar with how Immigration departments work.

If there is any doubt whether someone is eligible for a visa, that is exactly what Immigration will do- and not only your husband but other people if necessary (you will need to provide the name of a financial supporter in Japan, along with proof of where they work as above, so Immigration will have contact information).

As above, I really don't recommend lying to Japan Immigration.

Hmm, 2010/5/21 20:02
Well my husband doesnt work, he's a grad student.

And his family supports us, pays for our rent in NYC and send us money.His father is a professor at Tokyo U, and a city developer, so they are well-off financially.

And he lives with his family when he's in Japan

If he's going to stay in NYC then I guess I'm eligible for a "Long-term resident visa." My daughter can't petition it for me, she's only a baby, so will his family have to do it?

They can be my gurantors while I live separately, no need to live with family or my husband?

The baby and I are staying more than 90 days. And My husband will come a few months later. I suppose he could always come and I come, and set up everything and put things in his name, then go back to the U.S....

Hmm found this 2010/5/21 20:09
Examples of frequently received requests of application for Long Term Residence Visa:

1.@Want to obtain the visa because he/she divorced the spouse or the spouse deceased.

2.@Want to call his/her children in the mother country to Japan and live together.

3.@Want to call his/her parents in the mother country to Japan and live together.

But like I said, she's only a baby so she can't do anything.But since I'm a "daughter in law" can his parents do it? I suppose I could live with them too, cuz they want the baby living with them or nearby.

long term residents visa 2010/5/21 20:23
I'm not sure the LTR visa applies either as I was under the impression that it is a special circumstances visa for people already established and living in Japan. You should definitely call up the NYC consulate. They'll be able to tell you with certainty what visas apply to you and what you need to do to get one. You can call anonymously if that concerns you. All their contact info can be found here:

http://www.ny.us.emb-japan.go.jp/en/a/01.html

um 2010/5/21 21:06
Numbers 2 and 3 say you can call somebody over from another country.

I know a permanent resident who called over his mom from America, to come stay with him.So it's not just for people already there... .

Other wise, who can take care of your parents while you're in another country. They just have to be on their death bed without you or something?

LTR status is valid for 6 months, 1 year, and 3 years and have to be renewed or whatever..

I guess it's the closest thing I qualify for if I'm not allowed the spouse visa while my husband stays in America.The only other thing I could get is "Parent of Japanese National"? I think I made that up... but um, yeah. LOL

I sent a email to the counsulate explaining the situation, so I'll update everyone later about their reply :)

good luck 2010/5/21 22:47
I think you guys will be fine. Just gotta figure out which is the correct visa for you. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Oh no.... 2010/5/23 01:48
NYC people didn't know. lol

They said.... :

Hello,

We recommend that you ask your parents-in-law to consult with their local immigration office about your circumstances, and file an application for your Certificate of Eligibility (Ý—¯Ž‘Ši”F’èØ–¾‘) in Japan. If immigration finds that you are not eligible for gspouse of Japanese nationalh or glong-term residenth, you might have to apply for some other category of visa, such as a gstudenth or gworkh visa. You first step is to have your in-laws in Japan contact immigration and ask them about getting you a certificate.

Sincerely,

Visa Dept.
Consulate General of Japan in New York
Tel: (212) 371-8222

--------------------

I dont want a student visa. No one wants to hire people on student visas. One of my good friends has been a student at Bunka Fashion College in Shinjuku for years on her student visa and she can't get a job. She can't live on savings forever, and only her dad, a single parent is supporting her and he needs to support her siblings and himself in New York too. They always tell her they want some one on a work visa. She was recently evicted from her apartment like 2 or 3 weeks ago, if that says anything. Luckily she has a little... friend with benefits on the side, and now she's staying with him.

And, I wanted to study on the side informally, while working full time. I don't want to be deported or something for doing bad in school. Studying and Taking care of a baby full time is hard work. It was hard work while I was pregnant, I had to drop a class, due to morning sickness, severe anemia, tired all the time. lol

Dunno. Might have to just make a husband come for a few months and set us up then. And then he's "traveling all the time."

I guess he can travel every few months to Japan if immigration come knocking and want to make sure we're maintaining our marriage or something.

Student visas 2010/5/23 08:09
Well, I have friends on student visas who have had no trouble getting jobs. I don't know why your friend can't find a job, but Tokyo is full of people on student visas working part time, so in your friend's case, I doubt it's the visa that's the issue.

Having said that, I think your best option is to have your husband come to Japan for a while so that you can get a spouse visa somewhat legitimately.

. 2010/5/23 09:25
I still think you should go for the spouse visa. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any application forms will ask whether the spouse is actually going to move to Japan at the same time. If the immigration office calls the in-laws then they should tell the truth and say their son is moving to Japan a few months after their daughter-in-law arrives. No one has to lie about it. I initially thought they were going to live apart for an extended period of time (years) and thus had doubts about the spouse visa.

student visa 2010/5/24 01:40
-Well the places she apply, they dont want student visa. Personal preferences I guess. Where are your friends working so I can give my friend a referral.

Or maybe they are just scared of my friend because she's black. I guess they gonna be afraid of me too then.

lol.

Anyway,

Yeah, I think I will go with the spouse visa thing then.... Or try long term resident. Either of those are better for me than student.

visas 2010/5/26 11:24
NYC people didn't know. lol

They said.... :

Hello,

We recommend that you ask your parents-in-law to consult with their local immigration office about your circumstances, and file an application for your Certificate of Eligibility (Ý—¯Ž‘Ši”F’èØ–¾‘) in Japan. If immigration finds that you are not eligible for gspouse of Japanese nationalh or glong-term residenth, you might have to apply for some other category of visa, such as a gstudenth or gworkh visa. You first step is to have your in-laws in Japan contact immigration and ask them about getting you a certificate.

Sincerely,

Visa Dept.
Consulate General of Japan in New York
Tel: (212) 371-8222

--------------------

Hmm, that's not good. The consulate is supposed to be able to provide this kind of information, but it looks like they're passing the responsibility to Japanese Immigration. You or your inlaws can call the local immigration office and inquire about your particular situation. Phone numbers are listed here:

Japanese:
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/info/index.html

English:
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/info/index.html

There's also an email address that you can enquire with.

If you are unable to get a definite answer from either of those routes then you may want to consult an immigration lawyer. Otherwise you risk having your application denied which will end up being very time consuming.

I dont want a student visa....
...And, I wanted to study on the side informally, while working full time.

A student visa doesn't seem to fit your situation anyway. You would need to have sufficient funds or a financial backer to qualify, plus you would need to study full time and are limited in how much you can work, that is assuming you would be able to even find time to work.

No one wants to hire people on student visas. One of my good friends has been a student at Bunka Fashion College in Shinjuku for years on her student visa and she can't get a job.

I agree with Sira. Finding a job on a student visa shouldn't be that difficult. I suspect it most likely comes down to either insufficient Japanese ability, or she is too picky on what she is applying for.

:) 2010/5/26 15:45
Thanks so much yllw. Yeah I dont understand, the counsulate should know these things too, or is my situation THAT unique? I'm sure people have come to Japan without their spouse before...

I need the email of the immigration people then, cuz it will be easier to get everything out "on paper" than talking and trying to remember everything to say.

As for my friend, like I said... she goes to Bunka fashion college. All classes and books are in Japanese. She's been in Japan like 5 years. Attending the Japanese language school at first, so she's rather fluent.

I guess she should widen the search then, of places to work. I think she's tutoring english to people here and there for a little cash to get by on food... And her dad pays the rent and her tuition. It's really stressful.

email 2010/5/26 15:54
I need the email of the immigration people then, cuz it will be easier to get everything out "on paper" than talking and trying to remember everything to say.

No problem, the email address is listed in the links I posted above.

OK... 2010/5/27 05:22
We decided to do this:

I will travel on the 90-day tourist visa, and the baby will come with her Japanese passport.

My husband will travel with me and stay a week or 2, to get us set up,then come back later when he finish class. How easy is it to change to spouse visa while already in Japan?

What's the procedure? Do I need to leave the country and come back?

I go to immigration office with my passport, his koseki, 2 photos, and apply with him the same day, getting certificate of eligibility?

They will see that we've been married a while, and I am on his koseki for months already, before I changed my status. That I didn't come to Japan and got married that same week or whateverjust for spouse visa.

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 51

1 2 3
next

reply to this thread