Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Job postings - Who can apply? 2010/6/15 00:02
I'm sorry if this is a silly question.

For job postings that state that you must currently reside in Japan, is that for the purposes of interviewing or visa status? I ask because if you are already in Japan on a work visa and change employers, you would obviously need a new sponsor, correct? Is changing the sponsor easier, thus the need for a potential employee to already be in Japan? Also, can a person just be in Japan for an extended stay (3 months or so) without the need for a visa and still apply for jobs?
by aurora (guest)  

. 2010/6/15 05:05
Some jobs do not even sponsor visas because there are also many people (foreigners) who live in Japan that are legally allowed to work, but do not require work visas.

Other jobs look for people with work visas to cut down on the process.

Usually the job adverts looking for people currently residing/living in Japan are looking for people with visas other then "temporary visitor". If in doubt, contact the employer and ask what they are looking for in terms of status of residency.

by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/6/15 11:49
I ask because if you are already in Japan on a work visa and change employers, you would obviously need a new sponsor, correct?

Not necessarily. If you have an "Engineer" status visa sponsored by Company A, and change to Company B with the same type of job responsibility (meaning if you do engineering work with the new employer too), then Company B doesn't have to sponsor you anew, and you only need to report the employment change with Alien Registration city hall). Of course, when the visa status is going to expire, Company B needs to help you with the visa renewal process.

Also, can a person just be in Japan for an extended stay (3 months or so) without the need for a visa and still apply for jobs?

If you come to Japan on Temporary Visitor Status (say 90 days), you *could* apply for a job during that time - but if the potential employer advertises that they want people who are "residing in Japan," that means they are not *quite* interested in having to sponsor people for visas, so unless you have extraordinary skills that the potential employer finds very very interesting, the likelihood you get the job (or even reach an interview) would be slim.
by AK rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2010/6/15 22:53
Thanks you all for the clarification. It puts things into perspective for me.
by aurora (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread