Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Would I survive in Japan's pop world? 2010/6/18 11:17
I am a recent graduate, who has picked up songwriting as a hobby, but the problem is... I don't play an instrument. I can sing out the melodies, but I can't put it to music!

I wrote this song about a month ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2EVda-6IAE

Do you think just singing is enough to make it in Japan?
by tasida  

. 2010/6/18 11:39
I don't want to hurt anyone's feeling but do you want an honest answer?
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

Of course. 2010/6/18 11:58
Of course.
by tasida rate this post as useful

what was the point? 2010/6/20 10:43
do you think that song would be a hit in english? so you sang a song in japanese - big deal.

by the way, most japanese singers have no talent (you tube tomomi kahala for a tone deaf number one singer from quite a few years ago)
by rick (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/20 10:51
I think you have potential. I like your voice.

but to be honest, I have no idea what it takes to get a contract in japan. I think it's rather tough.
by littleblackcloud rate this post as useful

Thanks for responding! 2010/6/20 12:45
Rick --) I guess the point would be singing is fun, and I'd just like to hear other opinions out there. ^_^ I actually think the song would be a total flop in English. Really. My brother did a parody of it by putting it into Google Translator and it sounds ridiculous! ... I had never heard of the artist Tomomi Kahala, but I can see why you think Japanese artists are lacking talent, if what you've heard is based on that. There are a lot of talented artists out there, but you have to sift through a lot of bad to find them.

littleblackcloud --) Thank you for the compliment! I'm not really for sure what it takes either, but I'm sure it requires living in Japan, I would guess. My degree isn't actually in music, so I wouldn't be heartbroken to not have a music career especially since I agree that it's really tough to get a contract.
by tasida rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/21 08:15
Sorry for the delay, but honestly, no I don't think something like that sample would make it. Japanese singers are also entertainers, music, singing, fashion the whole works. You'll need to build up a lot more talent then the example to stand a chance.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

singing? 2010/7/7 00:59
all I say is: just search for ''beckii cruel'', then you will understand what ''big in japan'' means
by nekochaan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread