Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Drivers License Practice for the test 2010/11/3 14:24
Hello, I have searched the internet and this forum, etc, and I have found many posts online that say you can pay 5-8000 yen and practice for an hour on the driving course before you take the practical test, but I don't know how to sign up and do that. I have to get my license in Yamanashi and have finished all my interviews, paperwork, etc, and just need to come back and take the driving test. The worker said they do practice on Sat and Sun, but I wasn't exactly clear on how to go about that. I thought I could just show up on the weekend, pay the fee, and practice, but my husband said he thinks I have to bring a driving instructor in his car and pay anywhere from 30,000 to 50000 yen along with the 6500 for the practice course fees. That sounds a little ridiculous, but this whole process of changing my license has been more trouble than I ever thought, so I guess anything is possible. Does anyone know how I can find out the specifics for the Minami Alps driving test center? Anyone have experience doing the practice? I have to memorize 3 courses, I would really like to learn them in real-time. Thanks.
by yamayuri (guest)  

Practice test 2010/11/4 03:25
It is highly recommended to practice the driving test. I had a license in the U.S. since 16 years old and failed the first time I took the test in Japan. Japan's test is very technical. I went to a practice center and I said I had an American license and they charged me about 3000yen for 2 laps around the course. You don't need to bring your license since you are in a closed circuit course and aren't driving in the local streets.

by MikeTI rate this post as useful

Reservation 2010/11/4 13:32
Not sure of the Yamanashi centre, I got my drivers license from Kanagawa ken centre in Futamatamagawa, The drive lesson is given by same people (or retired ones) of the test centre, You need to make a reservation or maybe you can try showing up at the your centre near the test course on weekend.
You need to pay for car rentel and for the teacher total about 8000 yen for an hour.
They will take to on the course and also give you very important tips.
I would highly recomend you go for lesson at the test centre.
by Kamal (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2010/11/4 15:04
Thanks for the info, I am definitely going to try to sign up for the lesson. Was one hour enough to learn all the courses?
by yamayuri (guest) rate this post as useful

Some tips 2010/11/4 16:38
I went about two times and pretty much got a feel for the course. The most important tip I can give you is kakunin, which means you need to look at the rear view mirror and side mirror when making turns. The proctor has a mirror below the rear view mirror to check if you are really looking or just going through the motions. Another tip is don't do what I call the California roll, which is basically rolling through a stop sign, which is an automatic fail.

I only had the automatic license, but the standard test is even harder.
by MikeTI rate this post as useful

reply to this thread