Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translating a sentence 2011/1/11 05:04
How would you translate this sentence?

抜けるような青空をバックに, ... 女のこが言った。

I don't really get the first part. From what I understand, it means that this person (the girl) had her back facing the sky like she had came out of it.

Is that right? It feels kinda "backwards"...
by ignis (guest)  

... 2011/1/11 10:25
Against a clear blue sky as the background... a/the girl said....

This "nukeruyouna" is a description of how clear the sky was.
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2011/1/11 13:52
Thank you for your answer, that was very clear (no pun intended...).
And I'm sorry for asking such basic questions, but there are a few things I can't yet quite understand...

If nukeruyouna describes how clear the sky is, does it mean you can use 'youna' with a verb?
For example, would 落ちるような mean that something seems like it's about to fall down?

Also, why doesn't the を particle have a verb? I thought that the verb する/して had been omitted (青空をバックにして,) but that's starting to sound kinda forced...
by 1GN15 rate this post as useful

... 2011/1/11 18:46
抜けるような青い空 is really a standing phrase meaning "clear/bright blue sky." "Nukeru" has the meaning of "go through," and this expression seems to come from the sense that "the blue continues beyond and beyond endlessly that it almost looks transparent."

If you want to say something looks like it's about to/going to fall, it would be:
落ちそうだ。
落ちそうです。

"...(ru) youna" would be used to modify a noun, as in (sorry I'm using the verb in a different meaning):
彼は 試験に 落ちるような 気がする。 (I have a feeling he might fail the test.)
I'll come back with better examples if I come up with some :(

青空をバックにして、 Having the blue sky has the background
青空をバックに立って、Standing in front of the blue sky as the background,
青空をバックに、With the blue sky as the background...
... (in this instance) would carry about the same meaning, "against the background of blue sky."

In this case, "...ni" is used as a preposition "with..." and you don't have to have a verb in this phrase.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread