Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Giving homemade choco on V-Day 2011/1/15 00:31
Can I give homemade chocolate to my boss/office mates on Valentine's day?

I'm really grateful to them so I don't want to just give store-bought chocolate.

I have an office mate who is the same age as me but other than him the age range is around 30-50 years old.

Will I offend them or something and should just stick with the 200-500 yen chocolate?

Thanks in advance!
by eiri (guest)  

... 2011/1/15 12:03
I don't think there's anything wrong with giving homemade choco but to avoid uncomfortable situations, you should consider giving the same thing to everyone (male and female) with whom you work or not at all.

Just my opinion.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

... 2011/1/15 13:44
I believe that ''apparently'' home-made chocolates may be interpreted as romantic interests, particularly if you give each of them a single-piece heart or something, meaning, something that cannot be shared in the office (if the recipients want to do so).

Oh, are you thinking of giving ''all'' of your office mates the same homemade ones? Then it should be fine. Then they will take it that to you chocolate gifts should be, by definition, homemade :)
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2011/1/15 16:13
eiri,

I agree with the others that if you are giving homemade or expensive chocolates on Valentine's Day, you should make it CLEAR that you're giving the same ones to everybody.

In Japan, Valentine's chocolates are not something to show how much you "appreciate" the receiver. They're something to show how much you "romantically love" the receiver. Your feelings are supposed to show stronger in the order of (1) inexpensive shop-made chocolates, (2) expensive chocolates and (3) homemade chocolates. So when you receive the latter ones, men usually would think, "Is it just me?"
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread