Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

usual greeting 2011/1/17 04:10
Hi, iLm going to Japan and also meet there my japanese friend (just friend). He visited me two years ago and our friendship is i would say formal, few emails per year. So my question is, how the greeting should look like? And when i will meet his friends, what iLm supposed to do during greeting? In my country is usual shaking hand and two kisses to cheeks (left and right) but I dont want to look weird or silly. What is usual greeting between young japanese people (25-30 years old)? Thank you for advice :)
by evamiko  

sodesune...no kisses on cheeks 2011/1/17 16:14
No kisses or body contact (no touching other than hand shake).
In general, his friends will probably extend their hand out for hand shake and some may not. Japanese usually bow slightly (like nodding) even among by younger generations. Flow with their way is about all you want to do.
If one extend his hand out to shake your hand than you do that.
by umiumi (guest) rate this post as useful

Don't worry 2011/1/18 01:42
hi evamiko

I'm Japanese.

If you don't bow, we don't think you are rude. Just say "Konnichiwa" or "Doumo" or just "Hi" with smiling.
by Akira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread