Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 32

1 2
next

Is there a black manga artist in Japan? 2004/8/18 05:06
I am a black dude that love mangas and animes. I love to draw manga sytle. One day I like to be a manga artist. But the one thing I want to ask is there a black manga artist??? In some animes you might see a black guy. I just want to know. Can someone tell me, thank you.
by Jai  

. 2004/8/18 23:17
Non-Japanese manga artists are very few in Japan.
I've never heard of a black manga artist.

Be the first black manga artist :-)
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

I know how you feel jai. 2004/10/8 10:41
I'm a girl-black- and I draw anime style. I love manga. I'm in high school and I draw a lot of stuff on my notebooks and crap and people are like "You drew that? No way!" My best friend and I wanna do some video game animation when we get outta school and stuff with more 'browner characters' if you catch my drift. lol
by theakikage rate this post as useful

Why do Dbz draw ugly black characters? 2004/10/10 11:30
I am a black girl who loves anime and i would like to know why do you say that you do not draw blacks when in Dragonball they make them have big ugly mouths and are very stupid like.explain.I want to know!!!!
by Annonymous rate this post as useful

I thought 2005/6/18 06:40
the author of one piece is black i think isnt he?
by Mika rate this post as useful

. 2005/6/18 07:24
I am a black girl who loves anime and i would like to know why do
you say that you do not draw blacks when in Dragonball they make them
have big ugly mouths and are very stupid like.explain.I want to
know!!!!

Unfortunately it is very common that peoples that the author doesn't
know very well are drawn ugly and stereotyped. For example Japanese
people are drawn as ugly and nasty yellow monkeys in so many American
cartoons and movies.

the author of one piece is black i think isnt he?

Why do you think so? He is from Kumamoto and doesn't look like a black at all.

http://pnish.cside2.jp/photo/sya33-03.jpg
He is the second person from the right.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

you stereotyped 2005/6/18 07:51
am a black girl who loves anime and i would like to know why do
know!!!!

i do not think it is true.
no black characters appear in Dragonball.
have you read DBZ? really?
by -- rate this post as useful

No... 2005/6/20 05:02
In DBZ there is only 1 character who appears for a short period of time, called "Killa" - I dont know his nickname, and then all he says is, you're up. and hats it. Popo is an alien, or magical creature, I think you may have mistaken them
by Nasu rate this post as useful

Popo 2005/6/25 12:54
Popo can be whatever they say he is, but he looks just like little sambo to me. It does look racial.
by bunni rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2005/6/26 00:24
I`m black.

I draw manga.

I`m in Japan.

So that makes me a black manga artist!!! Except I haven`t tried to published anything yet. ^^;

But seriously, as it was previously mentioned there are very few (published) manga artists in Japan.

If you`re serious about becoming a manga artist, start in your own country. If you are American, it`s not too hard to get published. Companies like Seven Seas and Tokyopop are taking chances on amateur manga artists. So just work hard and send in a submission. I think the artist of the series Tokyopop @Large is black.

As for Mr. Popo, there are some things to remember:

DBZ is an old series. And the book about Sambo (sorry I forgot the complete name for it) was still being published in Japan (apparently it was years before the book was deemed "racists" and banned...but now it may hit Japanese bookstores again). If I remember correctly, Sambo was actually Indian (as in from India, not Native American). Looking at the way Mr. Popo is dressed, I`d say he "represents" a South Asian person, not necessarily an African one.
by Banna rate this post as useful

Yeah but still... 2005/7/1 23:38
...The way he looks is rather disturbing, IMO.
by Janee rate this post as useful

History 2005/7/31 01:26
am a black girl who loves anime and i would like to know why do
know!!!!

That´s because in the 20´s when plays were being preformed by white men, but had a black character, one of the white men had to use face paint. This was called "brownfacing". Since the white men did not apply this arouns thier mouthes, the impression of the ugly mouth you speak of was projected.

Also, Black people are still a novelty in Japan. In my 20 day visit, i´ve only seen 3. All gathered around the Harajuku 7-11 peddeling designer goods. This is because most Japanese have never seen a black person and are more willing to strike up a conversation--and to be polite, buy something.

One last thing. I´m sure there are loads of Black manga artists. Maybe not the head-honchos, but assistants and editors surely.

Okay, I lied. One last thing. Ecciro Oida (creator of Onepeice) is not black. He drew a picture OF a black man with a pandabear. This is what they have at the credits page of the Japanese Shonen Jump to have a little icon of sorts next to the title of the manga. I´ve seen fish and candy there too. I´m sure that the artists arn´t candy or fish!
by Oni rate this post as useful

you got your answer!!! 2006/3/13 02:45
jai you got your answer!!!! Banna is Black and a manga artis,so there!
by chibi beff rate this post as useful

Uub is black, isnt he? 2007/2/24 12:02
and there are a growing number of blacks in the bleach manga that Im starting to wonder if the author is actually japanese, so chin up, mate. Its only a matter of time.
by Sola rate this post as useful

high pay?! 2007/2/25 08:56
I too want to become a serious fool time manga-ka.I'm black also.Its good to know that there are some black people who serious about manga.there's just one problem.How much do manga artist get payed?!!!!
by kurisuchian rate this post as useful

also 2007/2/25 08:59
I also want to, if your a manga artist will your pay check be good enough to support a family?!!
by kurisuchian rate this post as useful

DBZ craziness.... 2007/3/13 13:20
Hello,

Can someone tell me how can i contact DBZ author, Akira Toriyama? Can I have his email address or his personal website? I would like to know more about him.

Thanks & regards
by shimigami rate this post as useful

bad speaker 2007/3/14 19:27
hi,im japanese.
ive never heard of black manga artists.
but you shouldnt be worried about that.
because there are also quite afew people who can be manga artists in japan.
if youre expected to be a manga artist in japan, i think theres alot of ploblem.
because you need many abilities, for example making story,knowledge about historical background, and ,of course drawing.
and there are so many people who wanna be manga artists in japan as well.
in japan, a few college have the section to learn manga.

and i cant find akira toriyamas official homepage.
i think its too difficult to contact with him.
because akira toriyama is very famous in japan too.
x shimigami-- o shinigami
(if you meant reaper)
by shota rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2007/4/3 13:30
u know the cartoon Boondocks? the artist draws the characters manga style... but i don't know if that counts...
by J.J. rate this post as useful

To Oni 2007/4/4 02:20
Well i must disagree with you, since i am living in osaka i saw alot more ''black'' people around tghe city than i have seen actual white gaijins. I have seen way more african (meybe american) people than i have euro standard white gaijins....just so u know
by Koylo rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 32

1 2
next

reply to this thread