Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to greet penpal? 2011/6/2 19:07
This summer I'll be meeting my Japanese penpal, as she'll be coming to stay a few days in my country. She's the same age as me (21) and we've been exchanging letters for almost seven years now.

My question may be a silly one, but how should I greet her when I pick her up at the airport? Here it's customary to greet one's friends or acquaintances with a kiss on each cheek (the exception is when both intervenients are male), but I understand some people might feel uncomfortable with that. What are my other options? A handshake (feels too formal for me, but might be adequate)? A small bow?

Thanks in advance.
by Pirilampo  

hope this can help you a bit.. 2011/6/4 01:13
Well, I think you could give her a small hug or a flower, maybe?
As you guessed, kissing on cheeks isnt something we do in Japan.
And your friend might be surprised a bit :)
But a nice friendly hug doesnt harm anybody, I guess.

Since you know her for a good long time, you worry too much :)

Hope you both have a great time together.
by sokolixa rate this post as useful

. 2011/6/4 07:17
Since she is visiting your country, I think it is best to greet her the way you usually do. She might be a bit surprised, but it is the fun part of visiting foreign countries and knowing people who live there.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

I agree with Ikuyo... 2011/6/4 07:50
As it is in your country, do what is custom there. I once was greeted by someone from another country and their custom was to give a kiss and I was first shocked but it seemed so nice and I felt so welcomed! I enjoy travel and visiting new places to experience the customs and traditions there. I hope she has a very nice time visiting!
by hirosumi (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2011/6/4 21:13
Thank you for your replies, they were quite helpful. I still have some time to think about it, but I guess the 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do' approach is a good one. And I just remembered there's a chance she may see other people doing it at the airport, so maybe then it won't be as much of a shock.
by Pirilampo rate this post as useful

Do it! 2011/6/4 22:27
Pirilampo,

If she's 21, she definitely knows that there are many countries where greeting is done with kisses. If she's greeted by kisses, she'll just think, "Oh my god! This is what they've been talking about on TV!" and if you bow, she might think, "Hey, I didn't know that greeting in this country is done with bows."

But being Japanese, I find it quite common for non-Japanese people to aproach a Japanese friend by saying, "I'm going to greet you in my country's way, okay?" and the person would usually do the hugging or kissing gently (although there was a man who crushed me and lifted me up!)

If you're worried, you can even give her a notice now. Anyway, it will be easier to do it in the beginning, rather than to start doing it a few days later.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread