Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

A few Nikko sightseeing questions 2011/10/8 05:31
I'm trying to plan one day of sightseeing in Nikko, but since directions on Japan Guide to each destination start from the Nikko station, I'm a little unsure if I'm planning correctly. I could use any feedback from anyone who's familiar with the area. Also a few questions about the sightseeing cruise and ropeway.

We're more interested in the waterfalls and such rather than the temples/shrines so we're planning the trip somewhat backwards... starting at the furthest point of interest and working our way back to spend any time left at the shrines/temples

From JR or Tobu Nikko Station, take a Tobu bus bound for Yumoto Onsen and get off at the Ryuzu No Taki bus stop (approx 1 hour)

**From here we would like to take the Nikko pleasure boat from Shobugahama Pier to Chuzenji Temple, but I can't quite figure out if this is possible, or if all the boats just return to their original point, can anyone clarify?

Otherwise... Tobu bus to Chuzenjiko Onsen for the Kegon Waterfall – few minutes walk from bus stop
*530 yen

**from here we're thinking the Akechidaira Plateau & Ropeway but there doesn't seem to be much information on how to actually get to it...
*710 yen

.. Then back to Central Nikko Temples & Shrines – Tobu bus to Shinkyo or Nishisando stops (approx 40 minutes)

and possibly to Kanmangafuchi Abyss – Tobu bus to Tomozawa stop, 10-15 minute walk through residential area OR 30 minute walk from Toshogu Shrine

Tobu bus back to Tobu Nikko Station (approx 10 minutes)

Also, does anyone know if all these trains/buses are covered by the All Nikko Pass as that's what we're planning to purchase?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!
by PChee1  

Re: A few Nikko sightseeing questions 2011/10/8 10:47
From here we would like to take the Nikko pleasure boat from Shobugahama Pier to Chuzenji Temple, but I can't quite figure out if this is possible, or if all the boats just return to their original point, can anyone clarify?

This is a map of the lines:
http://www.tobu.co.jp/kogyo/chuzenji/course/MAP.jpg

And here is the timetable:
http://www.tobu.co.jp/kogyo/chuzenji/time/index.html

The D Course will get you from Shobugahama directly to the temple. It operates through November. Departure times are:
09:50
10:50
11:50
12:50
13:50
14:50
15:50

**from here we're thinking the Akechidaira Plateau & Ropeway but there doesn't seem to be much information on how to actually get to it...

The Akechidaira Plateau is served only from buses that are coming from the town of Nikko to the lake. Not in the opposite direction. You should visit it as the first place in the morning.

Also, does anyone know if all these trains/buses are covered by the All Nikko Pass as that's what we're planning to purchase?

The Tobu buses and trains are covered. But the sightseeing bus and Akechidaira ropeway are not.
by Uji rate this post as useful

9:50 boat after 11/4? 2011/10/8 11:20
I have a question about the D course boat as well. I will be in Nikko the third week of November - does the symbol ※ next to 9:50 mean that trip stops after 11/4? Thanks!
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: A few Nikko sightseeing questions 2011/10/8 11:38
The ※ symbol means that the boat only operates until November 4.

And the last boat of the day always terminates at the Chuzenjiko Pier.

It took me quite a while to try to interpret the wording, but I am quite confident that I got it correctly. It is confusing because they combine two separate facts (operation period and the last ship's stop) into a single symbol.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread