Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I.D. for bars/clubs in Tokyo 2011/10/13 16:57
Hi guys, i just landed in Tokyo and was looking to go out for a few beers. Do you know if i need to take my Passport? Or can you just use your driving licence?
by Hugh from Scotland  

Re: I.D. for bars/clubs in Tokyo 2011/10/14 20:56
Hugh,

Basically, you are supposed to carry your official ID at all times, and this is usally the same in any country. Unless your license is an international one, it wouldn't be considered official here.

That said, are you 18 years old or older? If so, drinking is tolerated unless you get in trouble from drinking.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I.D. for bars/clubs in Tokyo 2011/10/14 21:48
Echoing Uco.

Any foreign person in Japan can be stopped by the police at any time (for no reason in particular) and asked for their passport (and if on a visa, an Alien registration card).

If you don't have it about your person, you'll have to go to the police station and spend a few hours explaining why (and writing why) you don't.

Source (it's a US page but this is for all non Japanese citizens): http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1148.html and several people I know that have gone through this personally.
by edincoat (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I.D. for bars/clubs in Tokyo 2011/10/15 00:15
Any foreign person in Japan can be stopped by the police at any time (for no reason in particular) and asked for their passport (and if on a visa, an Alien registration card).

To be precise, this can and does happen to Japanese nationals as well (except that the official ID doesn't have to be a passport).

But again, a lot of people go out leaving IDs at home.

Re: I.D. for bars/clubs in Tokyo 2011/10/16 02:29
Uco, what happens if you're Japanese and don't have an ID with you?
by edincoat (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: I.D. for bars/clubs in Tokyo 2011/10/16 14:58
edincoat,

Uco, what happens if you're Japanese and don't have an ID with you?

If you're not causing trouble, not a minor and you have an ID at home but failed to bring it along when the police asked for it on the street? I don't know. I don't even know if there is a penalty. You can ask that question at a koban police booth.

reply to this thread