Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Filipina Wife and Japanese Child = Questions? 2011/11/24 02:55
Greetings everyone!

Hello there! I'm a 23 year old guy who have lived in Japan for 3-4 consecutive years now. I left Japan(in 2009) and went to the Philippines and stayed there for 2 years(2009-2011). I was born from a filipina mother and a japanese father. I just renewed my passport 2 years ago and removed my dual citizenship to become a full-fledged japanese citizen. I'm sorry if this post may not be in the proper forum but I just wanna get right down to my question real quick. It has been bothering me for weeks now and I could really use some professional advice.

I have a filipina girlfriend that I've been dating for 6 years now. We got married this year on July 12, 2011. She was pregnant at the time with our baby and gave me a wonderful son last September 11, 2011. After the baby got out, I went back to Japan on October to resume my work to support my family. Been sending her money ever since I got here. I recently had a talk with a friend of mine and asked if there was a way I could bring my family over here? He told me that with proper guidance and the right procedures, we could get it done in no time.

So far, here's what we've done in the past couple of weeks.

- Registered my wife and son's name on my Koseki Tohon.
- Changed my Koseki Tohon(I used to get one at Tochigi. Now I can get one at the city I live at currently)
- Passed a translated copy of my child's birth certificate, my wife's birth certificate and our marriage certificate to my local city hall. (They told me they will release my new Koseki Tohon a week after)

After all that, my friend told me that we've done about 70% of the work that needs to be done to get my family here but I don't know why I still feel bothered that we're still missing something, which is the purpose of my visit on this website.

Here are my questions:

- What does my wife require to get a passport and a proper visa to get here? (Sorry, we're absolutely new to this stuff)

- What does my child require to get a passport and the proper visa to get here?

- Are there any requirements I still need to fulfill on my end? Do I need to have anything else on my end to ensure their safe and smooth arrival here in Japan?

- I'm told that since my child has been registered as a dual citizen, my child can stay indefinitely here in Japan. Although my wife got landed on a different situation. What kind of visa could my wife applied for once she gets here?

- Our marriage certificate is undergoing correction trials at the moment in the Philippines (They made a tiny error on my wife's name. One part of her name is missing one letter. Her Anne ended up as Ann. Although if you write that in japanese, it barely makes any difference) and will take till January for the proper courts of the Philippines to correct it. However, my friend told me that since I've already registered my wife and child's name on my Koseki Tohon and passed a translated copy in my city hall, it doesn't really matter since it already has been translated to Japanese. Is this true?

- Since I've just arrived in Japan, I've barely worked long enough to pay some of my taxes which is why we are planning to make my mother as our guarantor(Hoshounin). Is this alright?

Please and thank you. :)
by Keiichigo  

Re: Filipina Wife and Japanese Child = Questions? 2011/11/24 14:21
Your son = Japanese + Philippines passport
Your wife = Philippines passport + Spouse of Japanese visa

Check the Japanese Embassy's website for details.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Filipina Wife and Japanese Child = Questions? 2011/11/25 01:44
My son needs to get 2 passports? I see other dual nationality that walks around with only a japanese passport. I don't think 2 is required.

Anymore details regarding my situation? I'd like to know more.
by Keiichigo rate this post as useful

Re: Filipina Wife and Japanese Child = Questions? 2011/11/25 15:31
My son needs to get 2 passports? I see other dual nationality that walks around with only a japanese passport. I don't think 2 is required.

It depends on the law of the Philippines. Did you have to show your Philippines passport the first time you left there? If not, then your son shouldn't need it.

by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Filipina Wife and Japanese Child = Questions? 2011/11/29 00:05
Although I am of dual citizenship just last year, I was holding a japanese passport and a few documents as proof that I'm a dual citizen. No extra passports here.
by Keiichigo rate this post as useful

Re: Filipina Wife and Japanese Child = Questions? 2011/11/29 07:16
You don't have to have two passports for your son, it's just that the possibility is there. A lot of people want to have both passports for their child since they see it as an advantage, but it's by no means compulsory in most cases.
by Liesje (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Filipina Wife and Japanese Child = Questions? 2011/12/1 11:09
What does my wife require to get a passport and a proper visa to get here? (Sorry, we're absolutely new to this stuff)

She needs to first obtain a Filipino passport (check with her local passport office for the procedures and application) and then apply for a spouse visa at the Japanese consulate.

What does my child require to get a passport and the proper visa to get here?

He needs a Japanese passport, which can be obtained at the consulate. Check their website for the procedure and necessary documents. He will not need a visa.

Although my wife got landed on a different situation. What kind of visa could my wife applied for once she gets here?

Most likely, she will apply for a spouse visa in the Philippines which means she will enter Japan on a spouse visa.

However, my friend told me that since I've already registered my wife and child's name on my Koseki Tohon and passed a translated copy in my city hall, it doesn't really matter since it already has been translated to Japanese. Is this true?

I think it depends on the consulate in the Philippines. They are the ones who will process your wife's visa application. You should check with them.

Since I've just arrived in Japan, I've barely worked long enough to pay some of my taxes which is why we are planning to make my mother as our guarantor(Hoshounin). Is this alright?

It should be ok provided she makes a sufficient income to support an extended family.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Filipina Wife and Japanese Child = Questions? 2011/12/1 23:51
You guys are just absolutely awesome.

Thank you very much for your help. I'll ask more questions in the future just in case we encounter anything else.
by Keiichigo (guest) rate this post as useful

a word to the wise 2011/12/3 15:07
I would recommend getting your child a passport ONLY from the nation you all plan to reside in. You see, two passports means no questions are going to be asked when you pass through customs.. I know it, because my ex-wife took my kids to Japan using Japanese passports with out my consent.

Just carry proof of Philippine citizenship (birth cert), be careful not to overstay because your kid is going to get a tourist visa. Customs shouldn't give you any problems though. Since then, my children only have American passports, and use the family register as proof of Japanese citizenship.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread