Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Laptop left in the hotel 2012/1/10 03:54
I arrived dec 22nd 2011 in tokyo and was enjoying travel around in japan for 15 days, and that was my 3rd time in the last 2 years. My laptop was left in one hotel in tokyo and they will send back to indonesia for free by japan post, but it has to be by seafreight with 2-3 month delivery due to a lithium batery in the laptop is not allowed shipped by airfreight.
Is there any other way for a quicker delivery? The best way is handcarry, but I dont know anybody. Please advice. Thanks
by Brandon (guest)  

Re: Laptop left in the hotel 2012/1/10 08:12
Long shot but...
Can they back up your data on a disk, remove the battery then ship it ?[with the disk]. What do computer companys do ? they must run into this all the time. There might be another type of shipping, Air-freight ?
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Laptop left in the hotel 2012/1/10 09:37
Thanks for your advise peter, its an apple macbook air where the battery is built in. No cd/dvd rom attached. Weight is only 1 kg.
I am looking for a courier that can do an airfreight with this condition.
by Brandon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Laptop left in the hotel 2012/1/10 09:59
OK...so
Perhaps your embassy can help you.
A courier ? Ok maybe the airline can make some special arrangements, like they might do for a pet ?

In the US and I expect almost everywhere that the TSA or airline security people will
be very suspicious of someone else carrying
anothers "package" for them. So go through channels.

Also, the hotel is willing to "help". Perhaps there conciarge desk .
FED EX ?
There has got to be a better way than by the "Slow boat to China".

In the US we have a "priority mail" box.
There must be a similar way from Japan.

Is there a company, or person that ships EBay items. Like laptops ? Ask them.

This can't be that tough..

Be ready to have it Xray'd.

by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Laptop left in the hotel 2012/1/10 10:11
Peter, thanks a lot for your briliant ideas. Let me contact them and find out the result. I will inform you the result.
by brandon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Laptop left in the hotel 2012/1/10 14:44
Try a courier service like DHL/Fedex/TNT/OCS/UPS.
It looks like there IS a way to have it transported by air but there is a lot of legal/technical paperwork involved, and these companies should be able to handle them on your behalf.

Still, it seems you have to get a ''Safty Material Data Sheet'' from the manufacturer and send it to the courier so that they can submit it to the airline authorities. Best to check with the courier company to find out what is required.
by Tico (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Laptop left in the hotel 2012/1/12 09:37
My laptop was left in one hotel in tokyo and they will send back to indonesia for free by japan post, but it has to be by seafreight with 2-3 month delivery due to a lithium batery in the laptop is not allowed shipped by airfreight.

Japan Post prohibits shipping lithium batteries by EMS and will only transport them by land/sea based methods.

Is there any other way for a quicker delivery?

Private cargo services such as DHL or FEDEX will ship laptops with lithium batteries by air, which will be considerably faster but also quite a bit more expensive than sea freight.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread