Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yokosuka & Hakone area 2012/2/20 16:04
I'm planning on visiting Yokosuka around Apr 6 to 9 before moving on to Hakone / Fuji Lakes for 3 days. I have the following questions:

1. Is 1 day enough to visit most of the sites around Fuji 5 Lakes using a car?

2. How long does it take to travel from Hakone-Yumoto to Togendai using train & ropeway?

3. How long does it take to travel from Hakone-Yumoto to Hakone-Machi by bus?

4. Does Japan Post sell boxes and other supplies so I can mail stuff home?

I intend to visit the northern section of Hakone on Day-1. Day-2 I want to visit southern part. Pick up a rental car by end of Day-2 and go to Fuji 5 Lake very early to see if I can get some sunrise shots at one of the 5th Station on Day-3.

Any suggestions?
by WesternMoocow  

Re: Yokosuka & Hakone area 2012/2/20 17:03
Is 1 day enough to visit most of the sites around Fuji 5 Lakes using a car?

One day is enough to see quite a bit. But it depends on how much you want to see.

How long does it take to travel from Hakone-Yumoto to Togendai using train & ropeway?

90 minutes without stopping along the way (and without waiting times, which can sometimes occur on busy weekends):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5210.html

How long does it take to travel from Hakone-Yumoto to Hakone-Machi by bus?

40 minutes.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Yokosuka & Hakone area 2012/2/20 19:47
Thank you for the quick reply!

I noticed that the toll road up to Kawaguchiko 5th Station may be closed due to winter condition but I'm having problem finding any additional info. What can I expect in early April in terms of driving condition? Second, what is the operation hours of the toll road, as in how early can I go up?
by WesternMoocow rate this post as useful

Re: Yokosuka & Hakone area 2012/2/21 06:42
April 1-19: 9:00 to 18:00
April 20-30: 6:00 to 19:00

The toll is 2000 yen.

In early April it is still common for the road to be partially closed. It becomes gradually rarer towards the end of the month, but it is still possible.

Re: Yokosuka & Hakone area 2012/2/22 19:15
What about dinner in the area? Hakone Yumoto seem to have more restaurants than say Togendai. If my room booking doesn't include dinner, can I still order dinner at the hotel's restauarnt or am I stuck will bring my own cup noodle?

Re: Yokosuka & Hakone area 2012/2/23 08:35
What about dinner in the area?

You best have it at your ryokan or hotel. There are not many restaurants open after 6. There might be some in Hakone-Yumoto.

If my room booking doesn't include dinner, can I still order dinner at the hotel's restauarnt or am I stuck will bring my own cup noodle?

It depends on the hotel. In case of most Western style hotels you will be able to use the restaurant even if your plan does not include meals. But in case of ryokan it is less likely to be possible.

Re: Yokosuka & Hakone area 2012/2/29 18:31
Thanks for the answers Uji! I have a final question about the toll roads in general. Since I don't expect the rental car to come with an ETC card, do I just give the toll operator a 5000 Yen bill and hope I get change back? Also, I read some travel books that drivers and make turns on red lights? Can someone confirm that? Or even better direct me to a website for Japanese rules in English?

Re: Yokosuka & Hakone area 2012/2/29 19:11
Since I don't expect the rental car to come with an ETC card, do I just give the toll operator a 5000 Yen bill and hope I get change back?

Yes, they can give change easily.

Also, I read some travel books that drivers and make turns on red lights?

No, this is a serious violation of traffic laws in Japan. It is not allowed.

Re: Yokosuka & Hakone area 2012/3/7 18:08
I'm now heading to Hakone on March 19th. Is the Fujisubaru toll road open that early?

Re: Yokosuka & Hakone area 2012/3/7 18:29
Yes, it is open around the year. However, depending on the snow situation, a part of the road might be closed. In March this risk is still pretty high.

reply to this thread