Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

When visiting temples... 2012/4/15 05:30
Hello

When i visit temples or shrines, there are places to wash my hands with water. Also there could be a place where one is expected to pray or give money to.

What if i don't wash myself at all or do the other things, just enter the premises.

Will i be not allowed to enter? How will they react if i only want to enter the courtyard and see the temples, and not take part in any, i mean any religious related routines? Will they get angry?

Thanks for the answers.
by mauna (guest)  

Re: When visiting temples... 2012/4/15 19:29
They don't care whatever you do or not do at all. Just do not litter, which is common sense everywhere else.
by Jay Key (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When visiting temples... 2012/4/16 15:01
As most shrines and temples do not ask for an entry fee, I consider it really rude to not give a little donation into one of the wooden boxes to pay for the facility maintenance...or would you enjoy Japan as much if there would only be 5 big temples left that charge you an entrance fee?

Don't get me wrong, you do not need to pray or wash your hands if you dont want to. But in the end - though sometimes even Japanese people visit 'sacred places' for sightseeing reasons - there are still a lot of people who see more than a nice building or statue in these locations! Therefore respect is really important when visiting a sacred building (e.g. do not take pictures of people praying as this is plain wrong! Even if it would make a nice picture!)
by Diggy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When visiting temples... 2012/4/16 15:20
Its probably more correct to say:

But in the end - though even Japanese people mostly visit 'sacred places' for sightseeing reasons - there are still a lot of people who see more than a nice building or statue in these locations!
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When visiting temples... 2012/4/16 20:55
Subject for debate - but at least most of them pay their small donation...
by Diggy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When visiting temples... 2012/4/16 22:38
I tend to approach temples and shrines as places that have been respected and appreciated by many people, and maybe helped to give hope to many people, over the years - I'm not of a religious sort, though - so in that spirit, I pay my respect, too, by cleansing my hands, paying my small donation, and bowing my head.
by AK rate this post as useful

agree 2012/4/17 16:06
I agree 100% to AK's post above.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: When visiting temples... 2012/4/21 15:44
My Japanese husband doesn't follow any of the rituals & practices at temples and shrines - washing hands, cleansing the mouth, ringing bells, clapping hands, prayers, etc. Never. He generally considers them as meaningless superstitions. I just say each to their own. We visit for the history, architecture and scenery. So don't feel compelled to do what everyone else is doing.
by elle (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread