Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to identify ofuda? 2012/7/12 03:17
I was given two sets of four ofuda: two are for luck in business, two are for general happiness, two are for peace and two are against accidental kitchen fires. How could I tell which one is which? I am keeping a set for myself and giving one to a friend, but I want to make sure I place mine correctly. I am not Shinto, but I do believe in the power of faith and I welcome these kind blessings in my home. :) Thanks to anyone who can assist me.
by squibbydo  

Re: How to identify ofuda? 2012/7/12 11:18
can you post some pictures?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How to identify ofuda? 2012/7/13 01:41
I'm sorry; I have a picture but I don't know how to post it on this forum without the use of HTML.
by squibbydo rate this post as useful

Re: How to identify ofuda? 2012/7/13 01:50
squibbydo, just upload your picture to an image hosting site like Tinypic or Imageshack, copy the direct link and post it in a reply here. No HTML or BB code needed.
by Pirilampo rate this post as useful

Re: How to identify ofuda? 2012/7/13 03:06
Okay, thanks! Here it is:

http://s1160.photobucket.com/albums/q483/vpz3sgirl/?action=view¤t=120712_265.jpg
by squibbydo rate this post as useful

Re: How to identify ofuda? 2012/7/14 22:16
Hi squibbydo,

I've just watched your pic and I can tell you which are.
(I'm a Japanese)
From left, for your health, for peaceful, for avoid trouble, and for business.

There are many kind of Ofuda in Japan.
If you are interested in Ofuda, you can find many Ofuda pics at Google image serech.
Try to type "おふだ".
by tac4taco rate this post as useful

Re: How to identify ofuda? 2012/7/15 02:56
好和, 和諧, 免受罪悪...
I think those strange Japanese looks like Chinese.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: How to identify ofuda? 2012/7/16 07:37
I'm with ajapaneseboy. They sure don't look like genuine Japanese Ofuda to me--they look made in China :-( I'm also a native Japanese.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to identify ofuda? 2013/3/25 20:04
Ofuda must be written in Chinese Characters. Only Chinese Characters can be used in Eastern Talismans ( Chinese, Japan, Korea). Modern Languages cannot be used in Talismans, which will not bring any spiritual power. Japanese and Koreans Spiritual Masters know this as well.

Using Chinese Characters does not mean they might made in China, but because it is needed to be used in Talisman Writing.

Ofuda in Japan has it's roots in China Taoist Talismans.
by Super Kumantong rate this post as useful

Re: How to identify ofuda? 2013/3/26 13:00
@Super Kumantong

While it is true kanji is used for ofuda and omamori, I've never seen the words such as 好和, 和諧, 免受罪悪 on Japanese ones.
Normally it is something like 家内安全、交通安全、学業成就、厄除 for omamori, and in case of ofuda, usually the name of the shrine or god.

Omamori
http://www.geocities.jp/shinjyo_in/sji-gyoji-setu.html
Ofuda
http://tinyurl.com/bwayesn
by magonote (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread