Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

public displays of affection? 2012/9/29 06:55
I was wondering how Japanese people view PDA (public displays of affection).

I'm not talking about full on makeout sessions but like holding hands or kissing in public?
by A (guest)  

Re: public displays of affection? 2012/9/29 10:11
A,

Hasn't this all been covered here many times before? Holding hands is no big deal, and is quite common, but kissing in public is generally not considered polite behaviour.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: public displays of affection? 2012/10/2 13:23
I was thinking the same too (hands=good, kiss=bad) but my (Japanese) girlfriend said that kissing isn't out of the question nowadays (very brief kisses on cheeks and/or closed lips) and as a matter of fact we do all the time without getting any attention.
by Dan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: public displays of affection? 2012/10/2 22:51
As it has been mentioned many times, it depends on how and where you kiss. Kissing in front of your in-laws is not common at all while lightly kissing in the middle of Shibuya attracts no attention.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: public displays of affection? 2012/10/5 17:32
Depends on the individual as well. My girlfriend doesn't like to hold hands in area's close to home where she could run into friends or parents. Elsewhere she will hold my hand and sometimes kiss in public.
by Dutchman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: public displays of affection? 2012/10/9 16:14
My experience is the same as Dutchman's: No hand holding or kissing in her home town, fine everywhere else. I understood and didn't take exception to this.
by Jamie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread