Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

coffee quality 2004/9/27 06:58
I have heard that you can only get instant Nescafe type coffee in the hotels in Japan. I really like two cups of good fresh brewed coffee each morning. I don't want to have to leave my hotel to search for a good shop like Starbucks (I need the coffe to get dressed and goign). Is this true about hotels? If so, I may consider bringing my small Cup at a Time coffee brewer w/a power converter to use.
by Eileen  

... 2004/9/27 08:45
I have heard that you can only get instant Nescafe type coffee in the hotels in Japan.

It is amazing how much misinformation is spread about Japan.

Whether you can get high or low quality coffee at hotels in Japan (or whether you you can get cofee, at all) completely depends on the hotel!

You won't get any high quality coffee at business hotels and most other cheap hotels. I also doubt that you get good or any coffee at inexpensive ryokan.

On the other hand, you are likely to get high quality coffee at high quality Western style hotels.

It completely depends on the hotel.
by Uji rate this post as useful

I agree 2004/9/27 09:08
When I travel within Japan and KNOW that I'll be staying at business hotels, Just to be sure I take a few pre-packed "coffee drip bags," because I don't want to drink the Nescafe, but I know that a tea kettle with hot plate will be available even in business hotel rooms too :) Those things you can buy in convenience stores or department stores once you are settled in.
by AK rate this post as useful

Coffee confusion 2004/9/27 14:55
Bring your own coffee!

If you are in a big city and happen upon a starbucks, good on ya, buy a cup. Most of the coffee in Japanese is fresh brewed but equivelant to Folgers. Not bad but buy no means not the stuff you`re brewin` at home. It`s amazing to me how much coffee this country drinks and how poor the quality is. I have actually gotten used to CANNED coffee. Time to go home, eh,
by Jevon rate this post as useful

Coffee is different in each country 2004/9/27 16:17
Coffee is different in each and every country.

Just compare coffee in Japan, coffee in Vietnam, coffee in Italy, and you'll know. It's not the quality, it's the preference. A lot of Japanese people think that coffee in America is too blunt.

But as mentioned, it's best to bring your own, or book a hotel from a chain you know well in your home country. Of course, if you email in advance, your hotel will tell you what kind of coffee will be available.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Coffee 2004/9/27 16:41
I have heard that you can only get instant Nescafe type coffee in the hotels in Japan.
I guess this misunderstanding stems from the instant green tea and coffee that you can find in most hotel rooms. The coffee served in the hotel's restaurant or coffee corner is just normal coffee.

If you like your coffee not so strong order "American", "Blended" is a little stronger. I usually skip the coffee in the hotel and pop out to a nearby coffee shop for an expresso. I prefer the Japanese coffee shops above the Starbucks and look-alikes.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

24 hour room service? 2004/9/27 16:55
I think Eileen needs a proper coffee BEFORE getting dressed to leaving her room in the morning. As in any country, not all hotels have 24 hour room service.
by Uco rate this post as useful

American coffee 2004/9/27 18:06
Yes, opinions always vary.

Usually in Japan "American coffee" has a watery taste. That is because it doesn`t represent the coffee from America but Cafe Americano. Cafe Americano is made by waterying down an espresso for American tourists in Italy so when in Japan, drink blended.
by Jevon rate this post as useful

Coffee in Japan 2007/7/29 08:01
While in Japan we had the best coffee that we have ever had at small coffee shops. each cup was brewed by itself, in heated cups. I would not go into a Starbucks or Tully's in the US, and never in Japan. Just look around for small coffee shops and you will enjoy the experience.
by DLC rate this post as useful

Canned after taste 2007/7/29 14:38
The after taste from canned coffee is somewhat similar to accidentally swallowing the water at the swimming pool but I'm slowly getting used to it :(

Starbucks is IMHO not so good, I go there far too often; but I prefer Italian style coffee to Japanese blend.

If the original poster wants a good cup before leaving the hotel then she's going to have to buy some drip type stuff at the convenience store or take her own.

by koan rate this post as useful

, 2007/7/29 17:49
Just a question that has to do with the subject.
How does one ask for an Americano (espresso and water) at Japanese cafes? Is it called Americano over there as well or something else?
by Vic rate this post as useful

American coffee 2007/7/29 18:22
Vic,

How does one ask for an Americano (espresso and water) at Japanese cafes? Is it called Americano over there as well or something else?

It's called "Amerikan ko-hi" or just "Amerikan". In most cases, it will just be weak filter coffee - not espresso.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

. 2007/7/29 19:16
Is Americano kind of similar to a long black by any chance?

Never heard of it in Aust but a lot of people order it in Japan. Haven't tried it myself however, just curious what exactly it is. So kind of like a weak black coffee?
by Blanc rate this post as useful

American coffee 2007/7/29 19:41
Blanc wrote:

So kind of like a weak black coffee?

Yes.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread