Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Info on earthquake and transport 2012/12/10 23:57
I will be traveling in a group of 6 from 18 dec to 21 dec.
1. Is it safe to travel to Tokyo during the period above after 7.3 mag earthquake off coast of miyagi?

2. What will be the cheapest and most convenient way to shinjuku from narita airport?

3. I am planning a day trip to mt fuji. How do I get there by bullet train? What can I do at mt fuji?

Thanks.
by Tokyo traveller (guest)  

Re: Info on earthquake and transport 2012/12/11 08:29
The earthquake caused no damage anywhere.

2. What will be the cheapest and most convenient way to shinjuku from narita airport?

Cheapest by Keisei limited express and Yamanote Line via Nippori.

Most convenient are the direct Narita Express trains and limousine buses.

The best combination is using a Suica&NEX package on a direct Narita Express.

It is also explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2027.html?aFROM=2027_3011

I am planning a day trip to mt fuji. How do I get there by bullet train?

You can get to the southern base by Tokaido Shinkansen in about 45 minutes. But it stops in the center of an industrial city. If you want to see Mount Fuji, I rather recommend to go the Fuji Five Lake area, which is accessible by bus or regular train:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html

What can I do at mt fuji?

It is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2172.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Info on earthquake and transport 2012/12/11 11:07
Adding some additional details to Uji-san's already perfect answer.

If your first destination from Shinjuku happens to be Yamanakako or Oshino, take the bus.

If you are first going to Kawaguchiko or Fujiyoshida, take the train. Normally, a JR Azusa or Kaiji express train (these are not as fast as the bullet train but very nice trains) will take you to Otsuki where you will change to the Fujikyu railway. (about 70minutes)

From Otsuki, a local Fujikyu train will take about an hour to Fujisan or Kawaguchiko station, and the Fujisan Express train about 45 minutes. If you take the Fujisan Express, make sure you pay the 100 yen additional charge (in addition to the 900 yen express fee) to get on the salon car. It's much nicer and usually not crowded. Several times during the winter, even on a Saturday, I had the whole car to myself. The train is a former JR special express train so it is old but a nicely built train with comfortable seating, and very uniquely designed with Mt. Fuji cartoons drawn all over the train. (On the verge of being weird, in fact).

If you opt for the normal train, Fujikyu has a couple of interesting trains that run on normal schedule. One is the Fuji Tozan Densha which is a new train with a modern retro design that has a very nice salon-like interior, a library, and a female attendant who not only sells goods on the train but will take your photographs and other service in general. They charge you 200 yen extra seating fee as they only sell as many tickets as the number of seats available on the train.

The other train is the Thomas Land train which will entertain kids if you have kids in your group as the whole train is decorated with Thomas the Tank Engine characters inside and out, and there is a special kid's driver seat with real instruments and levers set at both ends of the train that kids can take turns "driving" the train. No special charges on this train.

Both trains run only about two times a day each way and I don't think Fujukyu has an English website so check with your travel agent for the timetable.

Also, a couple of new attractions on Yamanakako are the Kaba bus (amphibious bus) that will drive right into the lake, or the venerable swan boat which was given a new (and nice) interior. Designed by the same designer who did the Fuji Tozan Densha, the boat has a kid's section with small seats, a couple of them with steering wheels for them to keep busy.

My other personal recommendations in the Fuji area are the Mt. Tenjo ropeway in Kawaguchiko (provided that the weather is clear) where you get the most spectacular view of the whole Mt. Fuji and its surroundings. Oshino Hakkai, which is hard to describe other than several very clean springs with some old style houses in the vicinity, which does not really sound appealing but it is a nice place and I personally like it. If you like to look at old shrines, etc., Sengen Jinja shrine in Fujiyoshida city which is very solemn and quiet and a different experience where you walk through the long path in the pine woods to the shrine, cross a small river into the shrine area which is built behind two diefied trees. Nothing fancy but its very Japanese. You can be of any religion to visit.
by Harry Takeuchi rate this post as useful

Re: Info on earthquake and transport 2012/12/11 11:18
Oh and don't forget. The temperature in the five lakes area is on average close to 10 degrees centigrade lower than Tokyo so dress warmly.

Re: Info on earthquake and transport 2012/12/11 23:11
Hi Uji, Thank you very much for the info.

Thank you Harry for the interesting travel tips to Mt Fuji... and the reminder to dress more warmly at the five lakes area. Much appreciated :)
I think I will go by the normal train and return by bullet train in order to experience both modes of transport.
by Marina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Info on earthquake and transport 2012/12/11 23:26
Just to let you know, if you visit the Fujigoko area (Kawaguchiko, etc.), this area is north of Mt. Fuji, whereas the Tokaido Shinkansen operates south of Mt. Fuji. It may be too much trouble to go all the way around just to experience the bullet train.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Info on earthquake and transport 2012/12/12 07:37
Hi Uji, Thank you very much for the info.

Thank you Harry for the interesting travel tips to Mt Fuji... and the reminder to dress more warmly at the five lakes area. Much appreciated :)
I think I will go by the normal train and return by bullet train in order to experience both modes of transport.

Re: Info on earthquake and transport 2012/12/12 07:47
Thanks for that info John. Not a good idea to try 2 modes of transport as planned. What if I just take the 1-day trip by viator that is going for us169.95? Would this be a better option for a first time traveller to Japan? Is it reasonably priced?

Re: Info on earthquake and transport 2012/12/12 11:17
I think it is a good tour. If you try to travel by bus to Fuji, then to Mishima, and then a bullet train back, you will be spending over USD 100 on transportation alone. And then you will be spending 30-40 dollars on cab rides and local bus passes. Mt. Fuji area is not the most convenient place to get around on just public transportation.

Unless you are particularly interested in Fuji or wish to spend a few days in nature (which you can do elsewhere too) , a day trip should be fine.

reply to this thread