Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rental of MIFI in Japan 2012/12/11 22:34
I will be heading to Osaka and vicinity for holiday in January 2013.

I'm planning to connect my iPhone & iPad by renting the MIFI n navigating with it.

What would be the best option available? I will be Japan for 8 days.

If possible I would like to collect it when I land in Kansai airport(KIX)
by DesC  

... 2012/12/12 08:32
http://globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html
http://www.pupuru.com/en/service/emobile/index3.html
http://www.exseli.com/rental/cat/20/entry/1872
http://www.rentafonejapan.com/Mobile-Internet.html

Not sure who has pickup at Kansai, I usually just get them to ship it to my first hotel and it is waiting for me there when I arrive.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Rental of MIFI in Japan 2012/12/12 08:33
www.rentafonejapan.com

www.globaladvancedcomm.com

Either one is okay. I've tried the second option and it worked for me. The top one may be a bit cheaper. They both deliver to post offices at airports.

by John B digs Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rental of MIFI in Japan 2012/12/12 10:25
If possible I would like to collect it when I land in Kansai airport(KIX)

MIFI are available for rent at Kansai airport. A list of providers is published here:

http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/service/rental/rental_list.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Rental of MIFI in Japan 2012/12/14 21:45
Thanks for all the reply, will go through and analyse a little from here
by DesC rate this post as useful

Re: Rental of MIFI in Japan 2012/12/16 11:56
I have tried a few and they have been good , some very expensive others with average coverage.The one I like most is Japan Wireless, check out their site for pricing I am using them this January for around 50 days and believe it to be the best price available.
by llewellyn rate this post as useful

Re: Rental of MIFI in Japan 2012/12/16 12:57
Would you mind posting the URL, as all I can find is the Japanese language site. Thanks!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Rental of MIFI in Japan 2013/1/3 03:37
Hi guys

Thanks so much for all the feedback, I have made up my mind and going with global advance comm's package.

I will be renting the model gp02, looking at the battery capacity at 1500amh I don't think it will last for a day.

So most likely I'm going to bring my external battery along, the question is can anyone confirm what will be the charging input connecter?

Is it USB, micro USB or any other type?

Can't find any specifiication in their website.

Thanks again

Re: Rental of MIFI in Japan 2013/1/3 03:49
If I recall correctly, it's a micro USB connection. I, too, have an external battery which I will use on my next visit as it's true that the battery life isn't the best. I only turned it on when I needed to use it and charged it up on the shinkansen or the hotel. In other places, I'd ask for permission to charge, since the electricity isn't free for you to use as you see fit.

Re: Rental of MIFI in Japan 2013/1/3 05:48
I don't think it will last for a day
We only turned the mifi on when we needed to use it: we hired an extra battery, but rarely used it (2 x in 15 days)
Good luck!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Rental of MIFI in Japan 2013/1/3 21:26
Cant thank you enough for the swift reply John B and fmj.

I'm kinda heavy user so might need to charge it on the go frequently.

Anyway I will be arriving in Japan on Jan 7 2013, till today i have yet to receive any mail for the tracking number and etc for the rental.....

What was your experience previously?

Re: Rental of MIFI in Japan 2013/1/3 23:13
I asked for it to be delivered to the Narita post office. I didn't hav any tracking information beforehand. I just went to the PO, showed my passport and receive the package. In the package was all I needed to use it (instructions, cable, etc.) and the return mailer. The last day I used it was my departure date. I used it at Narita just before clearing security. I then closed the envelope and took it to the same post office I originally picked it up at and gave it to them. Funny anecdote was that I did track the package since they gave me a tracking number at Narita. My flight was due to leave in two hours and it was an 11 hour flight. By the time I got home, 15 hours after giving them the package, it had already been delivered.

Re: Rental of MIFI in Japan 2013/8/26 06:09

DesC - did everything work out as planned? I am going to Tokyo for a week and have decided to rent from globaladvanced. Checking in to see if you had any insights to add. Thanks.
by ramuku rate this post as useful

Re: Rental of MIFI in Japan 2013/8/26 08:12
My experience with GlobalAdvancedComm was great.

reply to this thread