Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are those budget estimates accurate 2012/12/18 03:46
I was looking at the budgets that are posted on Japan Guide 15k yen a day seems very low to me. Our hotel is taken care of our flights are paid for as well. The only thing we will have to pay for is sightseeing, food and transportation. Is 15k a day realistic?

Thanks
by dplunn  

Re: Are those budget estimates accurate 2012/12/18 10:28
Do you mean the budgets posted on this page?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2410.html

The estimates look good to me. Note that 15000 yen is roughly $180 USD, which is actually quite a high budget especially if you already have your lodging paid for.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2012/12/18 12:23
15,000 yen per day for a couple is plenty if you are only paying for food, sightseeing and a small amount of transport within a city. How many of you are travelling? Is your 15,000 yen per day a total for you both?

Feel free to post your itinerary in detail including exact dates and which airports you arrive and depart from if you want any further suggestions/advice.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Are those budget estimates accurate 2012/12/18 14:20
Hi. I believe It's a fair budget assuming you are a free traveller like most on this forum and will do your research and find your own way around, you will not book tours or tour guides in that cost. Japan was much less expensive to eat and explore than I had expected on our first trip.
by Toni (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Are those budget estimates accurate 2012/12/19 01:38
We are still building our itinerary.

There is two of us but we have separate budgets a friend and I are going.

It'll be for 6 nights 5 days, in Tokyo. Lodging is paid for and flights are paid for.

now we are just considering a JR Pass. Which would be determined by if we were going to Kyoto or not.

Good to hear that 15k yen is a high budget for one person. Might have some money to shop with possibly :)

by dplunn rate this post as useful

Re: Are those budget estimates accurate 2012/12/19 02:46
I could provide you with a spreadsheet from my last visit. My trip was four weeks and I had a three week JR pass. Not including accommodation or the JR pass I spent 5260 yen a day, I did everything I wanted to and wasnt trying to save money at any time. I did however eat breakfast at the hotels where available. I realise that I do not spend much and think 8000 to 10,000 would be more usual.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Are those budget estimates accurate 2012/12/19 02:51
thanks for the reply stan. I would love to see the spreadsheet.

how often does the JR pass help you for just getting around Tokyo.. or is it more worth it if we decide to go to Kyoto and not so much if we decide to stay completely in Japan.

I am not a big breakfast person, although traveling tends to leave you hungrier than normal. Still 8-10k yen is less then I expected.

Re: Are those budget estimates accurate 2012/12/19 04:58
The actual spreadsheet probably wouldnt mean much to you. I have done one on each of my 5 trips and normally spend between 6000 & 8000 a day. The last trip included cycling days when I spent virtually nothing. The Jr pass only works out if you are traveling a long distance on the shinkansen. I did spend more on my first visit but that included some fairly heavy shopping including buying an 80gb iPod classic :)

Re: Are those budget estimates accurate 2012/12/19 05:05
i might buy some clothes or something but not doing to much shopping, mostly there to eat good food, sight see and party. Definitely wanna check out womb.

is dress code strict at bars and nightclubs and stuff?

do you have any nice restaurants to suggest? I love shoyu ramen, and I really want to have some nigiri sushi and go to a steak house.

Thanks again for your info

Re: Are those budget estimates accurate 2012/12/19 05:08
Ah, that will push your budget up. Partying is not why I go to Japan, others will know far more than me :)

Re: Are those budget estimates accurate 2012/12/22 06:44
I went with my girlfriend and on average we spent 190 bucks a day per person including hotel and 7 day Jr pass. We went to Disney sea and Disneyland. Bought a lot of souvenirs and ate everything we saw. We use public transportation the whole time. We were in Japan for 13 days. We stayed at toyoko inn and loved it. Small rooms but very clean unlike weekly mansion.
by Mibu Kyoshiro rate this post as useful

Re: Are those budget estimates accurate 2012/12/22 13:15
dplunn,

If you are staying only in/around Tokyo, do NOT buy any nationwide JR Pass. A 7-day JR Pass pays off only if you make at least a Tokyo - Kyoto/Osaka return trip within a 7-day period.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread