Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What to get for present? 2012/12/19 01:47
Hey guys

I am looking for a present for my boyfriend's family in Japan. I am currently in my country. I have never met the family but its including mum, brother and sister with 2 kids.

I have a tight budget at this moment so I was thinking to buy them one big present instead of buying individual presents. I am in Finland at this moment so I was thinking to buy them Finnish chocolate but I want something else, something more meaningful.

So my question is, what does Japanese people like and appreciate? Also, should I write them a simple card?

I can't ask my boyfriend because he is pretty useless with this problem.

P.S My boyfriend will be going to Japan after Christmas without me so he will be delivering the present for them.

Thanx
by Just me (guest)  

Re: What to get for present? 2012/12/19 20:05
I probably shouldn't be answering as I live in Australia...

But my teacher once brought chocolate back from Finland and it was delicious! It's pretty cool having something from another country... get something unique that they won't experience in Japan, something you can only get from Finland.
by Lewis96 rate this post as useful

Re: What to get for present? 2012/12/20 00:16
Hey

Thank you for your answer. I live currently in Australia as well and was thinking to get something from there at first but I believe my boyfriend gets something for them so I wanted to bring something different.

I believe it is easier to get a present for them from Australia...But i was thinking what does older persons usually like? I think maybe candies are more for the kids?
by Just me (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What to get for present? 2012/12/20 06:02
I personally thinkit's most important that a present is from your heart, as cheesy as that may sound :)

My best guess is to get something small but not insignificant for the parents. Something that they might remember you by. Something that is not Japanese. For the kids, I think candy will do just fine :)

Sorry I can't recommend on anything specific, as I don't know the people and I'm not Australian. Plus it has to be a gift from YOU (or from you & your family, why not) ;)
by thany rate this post as useful

Re: What to get for present? 2012/12/20 07:27
Please guys, can you suggest anything because nothing comes to my mind:) I will definitely bring chocolate for the kids.
by Just me (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What to get for present? 2012/12/20 19:24
From Australia, things I've brought back as souvenirs (not necessarily family gifts, though) have been:
chocolates, Manuka Honey (I know it's NZ's but it was good), and a bottle of good Australian wine :)

If you "live" in Australia, maybe a photo book about the nature of the area you live in?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What to get for present? 2012/12/20 20:04
What about soaps? It should be something consummable, that way they're not stuck with having to store it somewhere in their home for the foreseeable future.
by Justin (guest) rate this post as useful

Must be Santa 2012/12/21 03:02
Santa lives near you. You gotta give the kids some Finnish Santa goodies.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread