Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is milk pasteurized? 2004/9/30 05:17
I'll be travelling to Japan with a small child and need to ensure the milk I give her is pasteurized. Is the milk that is normally sold/served pasteurized or should I be careful to look and ask for this?
by mdavis  

baby! 2004/9/30 12:02
I'm glad you're planning to come to Japan with your baby!
I'm sure your can get pasteurized milk at anywhere very easily. I think all milk which sold in stores are pasteurized.so dont warry about it! have a nice trip!!
by mhmh rate this post as useful

to be precise 2004/9/30 13:32
In Japan, ordinary milk sold/served are sterilized with JUHT (Japanese Ultra High Temperature) method, 120-130 degree C for 2-3 seconds, requiring less quality of raw milk and thus less costly for dairy industry. Of course, they are fully safe.
If you mean low temperature (72 degree C for 15 seconds or longer) by "pasteurized", you have to be careful and look for "teion sakkin gyunyu" (ቷEۋ). It costs about 240-300 JPY for 1 liter.
by Ryu rate this post as useful

milk and safe food 2004/9/30 16:03
Yes, pasteurized milk is usually available at supermarkets. Sometimes they're sold out, and small stores might not have them, but if you look around in the day time, it's quite easy to find them, at least in the cities.

Also, there are quite a few natural food stores (shizen-shokuhin-ten), where you can get anything organic and safe. Ask at your hotel for the nearest one.
by Uco rate this post as useful

I bought a quart of milk today 2006/8/21 07:32
and it was pasteurized.

߯ж 130 C 2

was the line that told me it was pasteurized.

I bought this milk at a Lawson's, which is an ubiquitous convenience store chain comparable to Circle K or Seven Eleven in the US (they're within walking distance of almost everywhere.)

I sincerely hope I can find unpasteurized milk easily, but only just now learned what the phrase was.
by Ganalef rate this post as useful

Trying again; unpasteurized. 2006/8/21 07:51
Okay, it didn't paste right.

In Ryu's post, the "teion sakkin gyunyu" (ቷEۋ) (may not come out right when I paste it) literally translates to (one character at a time) "Low Temperature Kill Germ Cow Milk"

On the milk I bought a few hours ago at Lawson's (A ubiquitous convenience store there's one every square mile) the meaning "Pasteurize" was abbreviated to just the "Kill Germ" characters, then the 130 degrees Celcius, 2 seconds (seconds in Kanji as well.)

So if you see the middle two characters and a temperature, you've got pasteurized milk.

E (may not paste right; try Babelfishing "unpasteurized" if it looks like anything but three Kanji,) should translate to "not kill germ", and I don't know if they use it in food labels. I'll keep looking; unpasteurized milk, if clean, is possibly better and healthier.
by Ganalef rate this post as useful

Yappa gyuunyuu desho 2006/8/21 08:45
Ganalef,

As explained earlier in this thread (which is actually 2 years old), "sakkin gyuunyuu" is sterilized milk, which tastes slightly different from pasteurized milk (teion sakkin gyuunyuu).
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

.. 2006/8/21 13:39
And not only is it pasteurised, it is usually processed into something that doesn't much resemble the relatively fresh pasteurised milk we get in NZ. Much of it is first powdered and then reconstituted, or ultra-heat treated, which is why it lasts so long compared to NZ milk which you can keep for a few days at the most, often only 2 days in summer before it starts to go bad.
by HW rate this post as useful

Milk... 2006/8/21 14:02
HW,

Much of it is first powdered and then reconstituted, or ultra-heat treated, which is why it lasts so long

I thought the reason it tasted different and lasted so long was because it was sterilized (not UHT though) rather than being pasteurized.
Can you name some of the brands that are reconstituted powdered milk so I can avoid them next time I'm in the supermarket?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Snow Brand and expiry dates 2006/8/21 16:35
Did the expiry date laws in Japan get improved as a result of the Snow Brand relabeling/food poisening scandal, 5 or 6 years ago? The laws at that time were a bit vague and there was talk of improving the laws at the time: "The extension of expiry dates is not illegal nor is it problematic from the standpoint of safety," the Mainichi Shimbun daily quoted a Hokkaido prefecture official as saying.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Milk 2006/8/26 12:26
Milk sold in Japan is fresh cow"s milk pausterised by law at 72oC for 15 minutes. It is usually found in Super markets and convenient stores all over in 1ltr tetrapacks and has a self life of two weeks aprox. If full fat milk is required, then look for the calory contain that should be over 136kc. Semi skimmed milk and fat free, have less calories. The other staff is sterilized and known as long life milk.
by Thana rate this post as useful

Reply to Dave in Saitama 2006/9/2 21:38
I haven't of course checked out every available milk brand, but the one (manufacturer is "Haruna") we sometimes get from our next door mini supermarket is designated H and is apparently made up of 50% with the rest being EZk, E (powdered skim milk) and cream. Not exactly in a straight from the cow condition. Many are like this if you check the ingredients. I have even seen one in the usual milk carton but designated - milk beverage?! I try to buy brands that say 100% @on the front but can't always find them.
by HW rate this post as useful

Not an answer! 2007/9/2 11:37
Hey can anyone tell me what the pasteurized milk in Japan looks like?
by Knight04 rate this post as useful

To Knight04 2007/9/2 13:01
Does Ryu's message as of Sept 4th, 2004 not answer your question?
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread