Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese lucky charm 2013/1/15 07:22
Hello!
This maybe a bit silly question but I bought a Japanese lucky charm during my trip but I don't know if I should open it. There seems to be some kind of plate inside it but it looks so beautiful I don't want to try opening it. It looks something like this.
http://www.japannewbie.com/images/journal/omamori_gakugyou/omamori_gak...

ps. it says 健康長寿 in it, am I right if I say it stands for healthy and long life?

Thanks!
by ojimak (guest)  

Re: Japanese lucky charm 2013/1/15 14:47
I dont know where you bought it, but usually, the lucky charms they sell in temple have sutras in them (written on some folded paper). I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to open it.
by hoshi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese lucky charm 2013/1/15 15:32
Yes, 健康長寿(kenko choju) is just for healthy and long life.
You don't want to open and search into it.
There are no materials of value in it.(^_^;

BTW, the picture 大宰府天満宮(Dazaifu TenmanGu) is very famous and popular as shrine of learning.
The god is the soul of 藤原道真(Fujiwara Michizane; 845-903) who is a real person in history.

See also: Omamori disposal?
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+96325
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese lucky charm 2013/1/15 16:55
Both the paper wrapping and the charm itself says Dazaifu Tenmangu, name of the famous shrine for learning. If the charm on the other side says 健康長寿, yes, that particular one is for good health and long life.

You are not supposed to open that charm :) You carry it as it is with you, be it in your bag or hanging from your bag, or in your desk drawer, etc., but never open it.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese lucky charm 2013/1/15 18:36
Thank you!

And yes, I bought it from a temple, Todai-ji.
by ojimak (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread