Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

teiru form of iku 2013/1/21 14:07
Would this sentence be correct?

奈良でおまつりはありますから、(ぼくは)でんしゃで奈良にいっています。

I always get confused with the teiru form of iku (to go). Would it be more appropriate to use のっています rather than 行っています, since I'm taking the train?

Kind regards,

Luke.

P.S. Is this sentence structure correct? I transposed it to (explanation) + kara, (situation).
by lukemca (guest)  

Re: teiru form of iku 2013/1/21 18:09
If you are taking the train now to join the today's festival in Nara, I would say:

今日は奈良でお祭りあるので、私は電車で奈良に向かっています。

or if you are not on the train now but will get the train, I would say:

今日は奈良でお祭りがあるので、私は電車で奈良に行くつもりです。
by frog1954 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: teiru form of iku 2013/1/21 18:17
Can you tell us exactly what you want to say?

I have the feeling that you want to say "I am going to go by train," (showing future intention) or "I am going by train" (showing immediate intention).

For the verb "iku/ikimasu," in Japanese, the "te-form + masu" does NOT indicate intention. To say that, you need to take the second sentence suggested by frog1954, "iku tsumori desu." This shows your intention.

I want to be sure, so please tell us exactly what you want to write :)
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: teiru form of iku 2013/1/22 12:47
Yeah, I was going to say "I am planning/I'd like to go by train..". Ugh, how silly of me D: I know how to use つもりだ I just forgot to, lol.

On another note, would this sentence be correct? I'm trying to say "Since it is raining/it is raining, therefore, I will not take a walk today"

雨が降っているから、今日は私はさんぽしません。
by lukemca (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread