Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

SIM Card for Sprint Iphone 4S 2013/2/14 04:08
Hello,

I know SIM card questions have been asked to death, but I'm not totally getting it. Two questions:

1. Has anyone travelled to Tokyo with a US Sprint Iphone 4S? It has a SIM slot, so I'm assuming compatibility, but want to be sure.

2. Softbank comes up a lot in recommendations, but it looks prohibitively expensive for a 30 day trip ( that's $450 in data!).

Does anyone have personal experience with this: http://www.jcrcorp.com/mobile/mobile_rental_simcard.htm ?

It looks to be cheaper than anything else I've seen for a combined voice/text/data, and it has the added benefit of shipping to me in the US before I leave. Last thing I want to do at 11pm after a 13 hour flight is figure out phone plans at the airport!

Thanks in advance.
by going2tokyo (guest)  

Re: SIM Card for Sprint Iphone 4S 2013/2/14 10:50
1. Has anyone travelled to Tokyo with a US Sprint Iphone 4S? It has a SIM slot, so I'm assuming compatibility, but want to be sure.

It is compatible but you have to get it unlocked by sprint, which they will do for international travellers.

2. Softbank comes up a lot in recommendations, but it looks prohibitively expensive for a 30 day trip ( that's $450 in data!).

1500 yen per day is pretty standard for short term rentals. Have you looked into b-mobile? They offer data-only cards starting from about 3000 yen.

Does anyone have personal experience with this: http://www.jcrcorp.com/mobile/mobile_rental_simcard.htm ?

If you need voice then this will be one of the cheaper options.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: SIM Card for Sprint Iphone 4S 2013/2/15 07:43
Thank you very much! Yes, I would like to have voice and data together in one device.
by going2tokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: SIM Card for Sprint Iphone 4S 2013/2/25 01:25
Has anyone tried the voice/text/data option from here:

http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/simrent.html

They offer a separate data-only card for nearly the same price, so is the packaged version limited somehow in its data service? Anyone with personal experience with this plan? Thanks.
by going2tokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: SIM Card for Sprint Iphone 4S 2013/2/26 05:04
This still confuses me. Sorry for dumb questions.

I just told my iPhone 4S. I am looking to buy an iPhone 5 that will work in Japan. I live in the US and everyone says to go with AT&T and have them unlock it, but I read online Spring would be best especially since I am going to Japan.

I read the link you posted (GlobalAdvanced). I want my iPhone to have text and calling for work. Will GlobalAdvanced give me that?

I will be there for a year. It says for a month and more it is 16900 and then 700 for each day. Does that mean I pay the 16900 upfront and then 700 a day?

Sorry for dumb question. It just seems like much more complicated process than the last time I used a prepaid SIM.

If it is 700 a day so around 21000 a month, is that the cheapest I can expect to pay for iPhone 5 with text and call?
by Technono:( (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: SIM Card for Sprint Iphone 4S 2013/2/26 11:49
They offer a separate data-only card for nearly the same price, so is the packaged version limited somehow in its data service?

Can you post links to what you are referring to? I only see a voice/data option for the iphone 4.

I just told my iPhone 4S. I am looking to buy an iPhone 5 that will work in Japan. I live in the US and everyone says to go with AT&T and have them unlock it, but I read online Spring would be best especially since I am going to Japan.

Both AT&T and Sprint iphone 5s roam on the same networks in Japan. Alternatively, you could have either unlocked to use with a Japanese SIM (on the Docomo network via a sub operator).

I read the link you posted (GlobalAdvanced). I want my iPhone to have text and calling for work. Will GlobalAdvanced give me that?

Yes

I will be there for a year. It says for a month and more it is 16900 and then 700 for each day. Does that mean I pay the 16900 upfront and then 700 a day?

If you will be here a year you should look at prepaid sims instead. B-mobile has the best plans for your needs. Also, I would not purchase an ATT or Sprint iphone and instead consider straight unlocked phones. They may be cheaper overall.

If it is 700 a day so around 21000 a month, is that the cheapest I can expect to pay for iPhone 5 with text and call?

About 6300 yen per month exclusive of calling (and limited to 3g data speeds at the moment).

Re: SIM Card for Sprint Iphone 4S 2013/2/26 11:49
forgot the link to b-mobile:

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/lineup.html

Re: SIM Card for Sprint Iphone 4S 2013/2/26 14:14
Thank you so much! I thought I could go to AT&T or Sprint and ask to purchase an unlocked iPhone 5 w/o a plan and it would cost the full price of the phone then use it in Japan. Is this what you meant by buying straight unlocked iPhone?

I see B Mobile is better for a year if usage, but you say it does not include voice? No way to get that and texting? Internet is nice, but trying to get others too. I am ok with 3G.. It's all I have in my area:(
by Technono:( (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: SIM Card for Sprint Iphone 4S 2013/2/26 14:37
I thought I could go to AT&T or Sprint and ask to purchase an unlocked iPhone 5 w/o a plan and it would cost the full price of the phone then use it in Japan. Is this what you meant by buying straight unlocked iPhone?

Yes, but you don't have to pick it up from one of the carriers. You could get it from Apple or whoever is cheapest at the moment.

I see B Mobile is better for a year if usage, but you say it does not include voice?

They have voice/data plans, but the way calling works in Japan is that you pay for the voice minutes that you use. So the base price of 6300 yen per month that I mentioned doesn't include the costs for calling so your actual bill will be higher depending on how many calls you make.

Re: SIM Card for Sprint Iphone 4S 2013/3/7 17:05
Is there any other company than Softbank who can give you a sim card for iphone 4S from Narita airport?
I don't have time to preorder it from internet.
by TRi72 rate this post as useful

Re: SIM Card for Sprint Iphone 4S 2013/3/8 17:45

reply to this thread