Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/24 12:48
Will be going to Japan in December (Osaka, Nara, Kyoto and Hokkaido) with 2 young children, 2 and 3 years old. Our previous experience in Tokyo was that due to the small shop space, some restaurants might not have children amenities like high chairs.

So this time round we decided to do more homework and have a list of places we can go. Would really appreciate as many suggestions as possible.
by pinkitty  

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/24 13:55
As a general rule, restaurants in department stores tend to be the most child-friendly, followed by restaurants in international hotels.

And, obviously, family restaurants.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/24 14:08
As this is the first time we are traveling to these places, I am wondering if there are any family restaurants that worth trying out?
by pinkitty rate this post as useful

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/24 19:31
The only ones I know are national chains. Royal Host and Denny's are probably the best of the bunch in my opinion, and serve a good selection of Japanese as well as foreign dishes, many of them suited to children's palates.

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/24 20:59
or you can try the local family restaurant like

CoCo's (tied to Doraemon character)
http://menu.cocos-jpn.co.jp/index.html

or

Gusto (tied to Anpanman/Redbean Bun Man)
http://www.skylark.co.jp/gusto/menu/

ƒtƒ@ƒ~ƒŠ[ƒŒƒXƒgƒ‰ƒ“ or ƒtƒ@ƒ~ƒŒƒX
means Family Restaurant
by ƒtƒ@ƒ~ƒŒƒX (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/24 22:47
Thanks for the recommendations...

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/25 10:29
(20:59) are you posting that because you actually like Gusto, or for the cartoon connection? Because I always thought their food was awful.

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/25 11:13
Hi Umami Dearest,

would you have other recommendations?

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/25 11:29
Well Royal Host and Denny's are the only ones I really go to voluntarily, and I recommended them because they have Japanese dishes.

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/25 11:57
I am wondering if you have the addresses?

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/25 12:09
They're both big chains - just google "Royal Host Japan" and "Denny's Japan" and then use Google Translate and/or Google Maps....

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/25 13:01
okie okie .. thanks a lot!

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/25 14:04
Saizeriya should be ok.
by SSJ Jup81 rate this post as useful

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/25 14:08
Royal host in Namba,Osaka city

‚Q|‚P|‚Q Nanba, Osaka Chuo Ward, Osaka Prefecture 542-0076, Japan
+81 6-6214-7651

This one is along Midosuji which is the largest street/road and one way for cars in Osaka pref!! closest way out/exit of Namba station(subway/underground) would be No.25!!
by auldreekie rate this post as useful

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/25 14:09
Great! We are staying there

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/26 17:59
try following restaurant in Kyoto for lunch or dinner. Location is very convinient because of in Kyoto station. Many kids menu are available.

Italian & Spanish,Greek
Wansa-Kansa

http://r.gnavi.co.jp/k015430/lunch/

7F JR Kyoto Isetan Dept.
by Joji32 rate this post as useful

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/26 18:31
pinkitty,

The locals also typically look for what we call "ozashiki" which are tatami spaces where customers would sit on a cusion on a floor. These are typically Japanese cuisine, though.

You can ask for specific restaurants at tourist information centers and hotels. I found the Kyoto station tourist information center very helpful with lots of staff to answer your questions, although I'm Japanese.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/29 13:35
You do not have to stick to those family restaurants too much. There are many indepandent restaurants where you can feel comfortable with your kids.

My recommendation is, when you check in your hotel, you ask them if there is any good places to go with your kids.

You can't keep going to all those boring fami-res places along your trip.

I can't guess what kind of places you went last time, but usually, most of the places welcome you with small kids. You should avoid business districts where business persons get together, like izakaya places. Yet you should try chain izakaya places like watami, shoya, and so on.
by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/6/30 14:50
I've taken visiting small people to izakaya and they've enjoyed it. But I always go early before the crowds and smoke. Chain izakaya tend to have picture menus and a wide variety of food.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Children friendly restaurants in Japan 2013/7/1 11:41
My previous trip to Tokyo, I wanted to go to some of those niche JapANESE restuarants but they usually don't have high chairs.
by pinkitty (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread