Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 29

1 2
next

Any travel restriction in early May 2020/4/7 21:25
Can I know where can I check for all travel conditions in early May? I am scheduled to arrive by Air Asia but I don't think they will allow me to postpone the trip.
Thank you.
by Solo60  

Re: Any travel restriction in early May? 2020/4/8 11:01
Nobody knows. Not even those in charge in Japan.
by T.K. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any travel restriction in early May? 2020/4/8 11:05
Well Japan just scheduled a 1 month state of emergency for 5 prefectures. So I doubt that you will be flying.

Also note that Airasia has a function on it's website that gives you credits. I'd do this closer to the date so you know it's not a cancelled flight but it is meant to be slow
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Any travel restriction in early May? 2020/4/8 12:34
Since today in Japan emergency measures are in place in Osaka, Hyogo, in and around Tokyo and Fukuoka prefectures. They are planned to be in place until 7/May, but it will obviously depend on the evolution of Covid-19.

Also currently Japan is essentially closed to many foreigners and no visas will be provided. So unless you are Japanese or from some not banned country, you cannot enter Japan. (You can be here, if you entered before the travel ban, and actually extension of visa has become now very easy).
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any travel restriction in early May? 2020/4/8 14:03
Where's home for you?

1. Many countries are applying strict quarantine rules to returning nationals, and not allowing non-nationals to return.

2. I understood that Japan had a 14 day quarantine requirement for people entering from various countries, so you might find yourself at a hotel of the Japanese government's choice (not sure at whose expense) for that period.
by Who? (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any travel restriction in early May? 2020/4/8 20:15
Thank you for all your replies but I can I see the official conditions in English?
I can consider going in from an unbanned country if my home country is not allowed.
Thank you.
by Solo60 rate this post as useful

Re: Any travel restriction in early May? 2020/4/9 02:15
Judging how the coronavirus is developing in Japan and the world, unless you are Japanese citizen you should look to cancel that flight. Even if your country is not banned now, it may very well be by May.
by f (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any travel restriction in early May? 2020/4/9 07:05
Current info can be found on the Covid-19 page listed on:
https://www.mofa.go.jp/p_pd/ipr/page7e_900126.html

Previously entry are prohibited til the end of April. Now it is indefinitely. You can check back from time to time, but I would not be getting your hopes up for any travel to Japan in the next few months.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any travel restriction in early May? 2020/4/9 10:30
Please also remember that this is not a situation you should be trying to find ways around, e.g. by flying in from other countries. The world is in the midst of a serious pandemic and most of the virus spread has been caused by travellers. For example, one quarter of the cases in my home city can be traced to a single cruise ship.

Don't try to find ways around this. If you can cancel, I would advise doing so as your trip won't be as enjoyable in the current climate.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any travel restriction in early May? 2020/4/9 11:18
O.P. is from Malaysia. That country is among those subject to the entry ban:

https://www.japan.travel/en/coronavirus/

It really really baffles to hear that some people are preparing to travel in the middle of this nightmare, there are countries that have THOUSAND of dead every single day and Japan is watching cases of infecting jumping every day. Yet, we have people asking :Hey there! can I travel to Japan in May/June?

Are you watching news ? Seriously, people?
by T.K. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any travel restriction in early May? 2020/4/9 13:02
T. K.
Do you think I don't wish to cancel the trip if I can get back my money?
I paid RM499 to Air Asia for a travel pass and another RM300 for the tickets, and they don't give refund for cancellation. The option given is to postpone to a date for travel not later than end October or have the RM300(not RM800) credited to my account and must be used up within one year. I won't be free to travel from June to October. Whichever choice, the RM499 will be not be refundable.
Will you comment or scold Air Asia for selling such a ticket in early March last month ?

Re: Any travel restriction in early May? 2020/4/9 14:21
Will you comment or scold Air Asia for selling such a ticket in early March last month ?

Good airlines will provide free refunds during such times even if the original purchase conditions did not specify free refunds. So much for my opinion about Air Asia. Cheap fares usually go hand in hand with strict refund conditions. However, it is also the responsibility of the customers to be aware of the conditions that come with the products they are purchasing and to accept these conditions.

Looking at the current situation and your travel availability, I am afraid it looks like you will be losing your RM499 unless Air Asia changes its policy.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Any travel restriction in early May? 2020/4/9 15:36
If you have the choice to delay until October, I certainly wouldnft be thinking about travelling NEXT MONTH. You need to consider how valuable that money is to you. Is it worth you getting sick? Is it worth you spreading the virus to others? Is it worth somebodyfs life?

Delay you trip for now. Consider travelling later this year.

Re: Any travel restriction in early May? 2020/4/9 16:33
I can consider going in from an unbanned country if my home country is not allowed.
If you spend 14 days in that "un-banned" country, then you might get away with that kind of plan. However, unlikely.
You still face the possibility that your transit country will appear on a banned list while travelling.
Get onto your airline and kick-up a fuss - like all their other customers.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Any travel restriction in early May? 2020/4/9 17:20
I'm not even sure spending 14 days in an unbanned country prior to travel would work, since I believe Japan now requires a visa to enter as the visa waiver program was temporarily suspended.

Everyone currently entering Japan also needs to quarantine for 14 days and get to their quarantine location without using public transit. I suspect the cost of your 14 day quarantine and transport to said location is going to be a lot more than 499 RM.

I think you are going to need to argue with your airline or just accept your loss.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Any travel restriction in early May 2020/4/9 19:41
T. K.
Do you think I don't wish to cancel the trip if I can get back my money?
I paid RM499 to Air Asia for a travel pass and another RM300 for the tickets, and they don't give refund for cancellation. The option given is to postpone to a date for travel not later than end October or have the RM300(not RM800) credited to my account and must be used up within one year. I won't be free to travel from June to October. Whichever choice, the RM499 will be not be refundable.

At risk of assuming too much, the fact that you are willing to change your travel plans by going to Japan via a third country not subject to travel restrictions (which I assume will cost a not insignificant sum) tells me that you are not only thinking of money; you are trying to go to extreme lengths in order to make your trip to Japan go ahead. Someone already said it, but please don't do this. If you lose some money then you lose some money. Big deal. You will have money again.

I cancelled my June trip and I am GUTTED about it. I travel regularly to Japan and it's what I spend all of my money on. It is no exaggeration to say that thinking about my next trip to Japan is what motivates me to get out of bed in the mornings. It really sucks, and I'm sad about it, but there are seriously more important things going on in the world, so I've pencilled in a trip for November instead and hoping things calm down a little by then. Please consider doing the same.
by J (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any travel restriction in early May 2020/4/12 15:03
A lot of places have announced they are not opening until May 6, many until May 11 or "undetermined dates". That is those under national emergency and those prefectures that declared their own state of emergency (Aichi, Gifu, Kyoto), but many sites outside of these areas have also closed. Even if you are able to take your flight, you will surely not be able to tour around like you want. You may feel that it is unwarranted but you still have to deal it, because it's the reality.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Any travel restriction in early May 2020/4/12 16:02
Whatever it is, I have to accept some loss as I won't have time to travel after June, until next year spring, but Air Asia is really unscrupulous to launch such a promotion during such a time. This pass was launched near end March and considering that they have already sold flight tickets until next year but those whose flights are cancelled can only change their flights till end October, where is their logic? Also no money refunds allowed for both the tickets as well as the pass bought. The credit for one year use also means that we are forced to spend it with a higher airfare or lose the money later. If this is not cheating, I don't know what to call it.

Re: Any travel restriction in early May 2020/4/12 22:04
OP, you also bought into their promotions at a time when YOU shouldn't entertain any travel plans, seeing as the outbreaks were already worldwide by March. They can sell, but you don't have to buy.
I have a trip in early May which I have planned since last year, and which I'm unfortunately having to cancel. Lost money is better than lost lives. Not just yours, but everyone involved during your journey such as taxi drivers, airport workers, hotel staff.
Look up the laws in your country. I'm only familiar with US laws, and they dictate that airlines have to fully refund the airfare of a cancelled flight. And if the Japanese government forbids entry by the time your trip starts, you can be sure your flight will also be cancelled. If your country has no such laws, then just suck it up. Your decision shouldn't be
based on sunk costs anyway.
by Anon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any travel restriction in early May 2020/4/13 08:22
As Anon has already said, this isn't just AirAsia's fault. You had the opportunity to read the news and see the direction the world, and particularly Japan, was heading in before you booked the fare. You won't be able to prove that AirAsia knowingly sold you a fare they knew you wouldn't be able to use so they could make money.

Your best bet is to check with your country's consumer affairs groups; you might get lucky and may be covered by consumer protection laws in your country.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 29

1 2
next

reply to this thread