Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

getting permanent visa? 2006/8/22 11:27
im here in japan for about 2 yrs with my spouse visa..and when i extend my visa ive got a 3 yrs extension..i have plans now to apply for a permanent visa,how can i apply for this do i change first my status of visa or apply directly for a permanent visa??when is the best possible time to apply for this
by seeking answers  

Permanent residence 2006/8/22 17:42
Seeking,

You just need to apply for a permanent residence visa at your local immigration office. The process can take at least 6 months, so you need to apply well before your existing (spouse) visa expires.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

visa 2006/8/23 00:55
You have only been here two years? In order to apply you must have lived in Japan for five 5 years if youre on a spouse visa, longer if not.

read
http://www.debito.org/permres.html
by aka rate this post as useful

... 2006/8/23 00:59
If you have been married for a long time, it could be possible to get the permanent residence after less than five years in Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

to dave (saitama) 2006/8/23 11:55
thanks for your answer..i really appreciate
by by seeking answer rate this post as useful

as little as one year in Japan 2006/8/26 21:10
Guidelines for Permanent Residence are listed here:

http://www.moj.go.jp/NYUKAN/nyukan50.html
(Japanese)

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/te...residence.html
(English)

The English translation is a bit unclear, but basically you would satisfy these guidelines if:

- you've been married to your Japanese spouse for three years, and

- have been living in Japan for the previous one year, and

- your "status of residence" is "Spouse or Child of Japanese National", with duration "3years", and

- you've paid your taxes, and haven't been in trouble with the law, etc.

So you could qualify for PR with as little as one year residence in Japan.
by anon rate this post as useful

... 2006/8/27 00:50
Sorry if this question has been answered, but if you are married to a Japanese and get a permanent visa but say a year or two later you both want a divorce, do you lose it (the permanent visa I mean)?
by mandi rate this post as useful

Permanent residence 2006/8/27 08:56
Mandi,

No, unlike the spouse visa, permanent resident visa status is not affected by changes in marital/financial/employment status.

Perminant Resident Visa 2006/8/27 17:35
With a PRV they can't deport you, only imprison you. But you still need a re-entry. Sorry kid, but you're just going to work your passage, like the rest of us. Remember them visa runs to Pusan?
by Andrew Milner rate this post as useful

taxes for permanent residence holders 2006/8/28 15:10
You will be investigated for 6 months to ascertain if your long term presence here will benefit Japanese interests and your financial standing is rock solid. Your neighbors may be interveiwed as well.

Also, your worldwide assets will be taxable INSIDE JAPAN - anything you own of value overseas, any income from overseas, inheritences, real estate, etc., etc. and must by law be declared on your annual Japanese tax filings! Failure to do so is punishable by law and could result in rescinding the PR and deportation.
by atlantic rate this post as useful

... 2006/8/29 00:24
Also, your worldwide assets will be taxable INSIDE JAPAN - anything you own of value overseas, any income from overseas, inheritences, real estate, etc., etc. and must by law be declared on your annual Japanese tax filings!

If you own real estate overseas, you will not have to pay property taxes for it in Japan. Not sure about inheritances and etc. etc.

However, it is true that permanent residents have to pay Japanese taxes on their worldwide income. BUT, the same is true for non-permanent residents who live in Japan for more than 5 years! Anyboy living in Japan for more than 5 years will have to pay Japanese taxes on their worldwide income, regardless whether they are permanent residents or not.
by Uji rate this post as useful

permanent visa: 2007/2/16 13:34
how long will it take to be granted? I've been waiting for 7 months now.
by karen rate this post as useful

Permanent residence visa 2007/2/16 17:45
Karen,

According to a poll carried out on the Yahoo "communityinjapan" group, out of 28 respondents, 17 got their PR visa within 6 months, while 11 had to wait between 6 months and one year. So, as you can see, 7 months is not particularly unusual. Hang in there!

myself 2007/2/17 00:32
Hi,
I have my PRV and it took me 11 months to get it.
I had been married 7 years and living in Japan 6 years.
I know I was slow in trying to get it but I never really worried about getting it. It wasn't that important to me.
Good luck.
by charles rate this post as useful

PRV 2007/4/11 21:35
How long can I be out of the country and still keep my permanent residence visa?
by Kathi rate this post as useful

PR visa 2007/4/11 21:53
Kathi,

How long can I be out of the country and still keep my permanent residence visa?

3 years with a re-entry permit.

PRV 2007/12/6 12:35
Once you have got your PRV, for God's sake don't infringe the re-entry visa conditions, or you will land on a snake's head. Not quite back to square one, but close.
You might want to try a regional Immigration office, but of course you'll have to be resident. Got my PRV from Nagano in under four months. Such nice counter staff; in fact more staff than punters.
by Andrew Milner rate this post as useful

permanent visa 2008/5/30 19:40
i have a working visa since last 9 years five month but i will complete 10 years this year 3rd of august last oct i was apply the permanent visa but they are refused i want again apply this but i dont understand when i apply again please tell me ? refused date nov 20 2007
by islam muhammad tafsir ul rate this post as useful

PR visa 2008/5/30 23:38
Islam muhammad tafsir ul,

Did Immigration give any reason why your last application was turned down?
As 10 years is the magic figure often quoted (although it actually seems to be very flexible), maybe you will have more luck if you try applying again this year after you have been a full 10 years in the country. Other than asking Immigration why your last application was refused and whether they think you have a better chance reapplying this year, that is all I can suggest.

Time out of the country 2008/5/31 04:27
If you manage to get a PRV for Japan, do you lose it if you leave the country for a set period of time (like the 2 year rule in the UK) or is it a permanent feature ?
by DigitalGhost rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

reply to this thread