Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 102 of 233: Posts 2021 - 2040 of 4652
prev
1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... 233
next

Happy New year !! 2009/12/31 09:36
I know I am a day early but I want to wish all of my friends at JP Guide a very Happy New Year. A prosperous and healthy new year to you-all. !! [ the ya-all is for Wally-san.] We in New Hampshire are celebrating in the traditional way. We are standing close to the fireplace and slowly turning around and around. Alternately, I could fly to New Zealand and have a tall cool drink on some beach with palm trees...decisions are tough eh? Pack my bag !!
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Happy New Year! 2010/1/1 07:18
Happy New Year . . . hiccup!

Scuse me.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2010/1/1 10:17
AFTER EVERYONE SOBERS UP - HERE'S AN INTERESTING STORY TO START THE NEW YEAR'S WITH - BEST REGARDS - STEFFI

After 2-plus decades, Navy destroyer breaks record

By DAVID SHARP, Associated Press Writer David Sharp, Associated Press Writer
Thu Dec 31, 3:06 pm ET

BATH, Maine – Cruising through the darkness in rough seas, the USS Ross encountered a rogue wave that smashed into the destroyer's bow, sending a shudder along the entire ship that knocked sleeping crew out of their bunks and damaged the sonar housing.

As alarms sounded, sleepy sailors scrambled to shore up the leak.

"We cracked the hull and kept on going like it was nothing," retired sailor Jonathan Staeblein, of Hagerstown, Md., recalled. In fact, the 510-foot destroyer was never out of service for repairs during any deployment in the three years he served aboard as an electronic warfare technician.

Arleigh Burke-class destroyers such as the USS Ross and USS Cole, which survived a terrorist suicide bombing in Yemen, have proven to be durable workhorses in the U.S. Navy.

Over the 22 years since construction of the first one began at Bath Iron Works, the ship has steamed into the record book: The destroyer's production run has outlasted every other battleship, cruiser, destroyer and frigate in U.S. Navy history. The only warship in production for longer was the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, said Norman Polmar, a naval historian, author and analyst.

Thanks to a decision by Defense Secretary Robert Gates, Arleigh Burke destroyer production will continue for at least a few more years. The defense budget signed by President Barack Obama in December includes money for the first of at least three more ships. There's talk of many more being built.

At Bath Iron Works, along the banks of the Kennebec River, there are three of the ships in various stages of production.

"They're fast and they move. And they're a lot of fun to drive," said Lt. Cmdr. Robert J. Brooks, executive officer of USS Wayne E. Meyer, a Bath-built destroyer commissioned in October.

Retired Rear Adm. Michael K. Mahon, the Navy's former deputy director of surface warfare, said the ships run no risk of being outdated any time soon.

"It's the envy of the world," said Mahon. "Every surface warship officer in every navy in the world would love to command an Arleigh Burke."

The original warship was conceived during the Cold War, when Bath Iron Works was abuzz with shipbuilders pounding, grinding, welding, plumbing and wiring ships at a furious pace to meet President Ronald Reagan's audacious goal of a 600-ship Navy. Shipbuilders toiled long hours working elbow-to-elbow in a haze created by welders inside steel hull segments that were sweltering in the summer and cold in the winter.

The number of Bath shipbuilders peaked at 12,000 by the time the USS Arleigh Burke was commissioned on July 4, 1991.

Some Bath shipbuilders have spent virtually their entire careers doing nothing by making Arleigh Burke destroyers.

Gil Rines, a welder, joined Bath Iron Works as construction was beginning on the first ship. Since then, he has raised two children and become a grandfather. The shipyard changed hands and is now owned by General Dynamics. The number of shipbuilders has dropped to 5,500.

But one thing remained a constant: The shipyard kept churning out Arleigh Burke destroyers, more than 30 of them. The same ships are also built at Northrop Grumman's shipyard in Pascagoula, Miss., which has churned out more than 20.

"It's a great ship. That's why the Navy stuck with it," said Rines, a third-generation shipbuilder.

The 9,500-ton ships can easily top 30 knots while simultaneously waging war with enemy ships, submarines, missiles and aircraft. Their combat system, called Aegis, uses powerful computers and a phased-array radar to track more than 100 targets — the exact number is classified.

They're also the only surface warships in the Navy's arsenal that can be sealed off to withstand a biological, chemical and nuclear attack.

The latest improvements are software upgrades and SM-3 missiles that allow the Aegis system to be used for ballistic missile defense. An Aegis-equipped cruiser built by Bath Iron Works shot down a failed satellite in 2008. Several Aegis destroyers and cruisers are now equipped with the upgraded system.

The Navy originally envisioned building 29 of the ships, but has since extended the line to 62 ships through 2011. With the continued production, there will be at least three more, keeping shipbuilders in Maine and Mississippi busy while the Navy decides whether to build more Burkes, or to build something else.

The Navy's decision is partly budget-driven. Burkes are less costly to build than the next-generation stealth destroyer, which the Navy and defense contractors spent 10 years designing.

Burkes currently cost about $1.2 billion apiece; the stealthy, and much larger, DDG-1000 Zumwalt will cost more than double that. In the end, the Navy decided to truncate production to just three Zumwalts.

Loren Thompson, a defense analyst at the Lexington Institute, gives credit to the Navy for scaling back the costly Zumwalts and focusing on the tried-and-true Burkes.

The DDG-51 Arleigh Burke, he said, is now in a rare class of military systems that's so durable and versatile that it continues for generations, like the C-130 Hercules cargo transport, an airplane that first went into production in 1957.

"The fact that the Navy can't come up with something better than the DDG-51 isn't necessarily bad news," he said. "It may be commentary on how good the DDG-51 is."

___

by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

oshogatsu 2010/1/1 12:56
Happy New Year everyone! 2009 has been exciting and educational on this thread. I'm looking forward to continuing in 2010.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2064.html
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Oshogatsu 2010/1/1 16:32
I've just learned a new Japanese word. Thank you, Dave-san, for your apropos link:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2064.html.
And thanks to everyone for your interesting contributions to the forum. I continue to follow the discussions and look forward to participating in 2010 when I have something to add. Happy holidays and happy New Year to everyone!

by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

2010 2010/1/2 07:33
Dave-san thanks for the new word..perhaps we should have a word of the day? You said the thread was "exciting and educational"
Are you talking about us ?
Did anyone else see the Kyoto marching band at the Rose Parade..? more like the dancing-marching band.. just exceptional!
Wonder if Wally-san has come to yet? [bad verb form]
Ill start.. the word of the day is:
yopparatta.. intoxicated. How did I come up with that !

Re: 2010 2010/1/2 17:25
I love Peter's "word of the day" idea! "Yopparatta," indeed -- almost sounds like a Japanese version of "Joe Pa" (the affectionate nickname for Penn State Coach Joe Paterno) -- do you have a Japanese dictionary, Peter? Having lived in Japan longer than most of us, Eric, Steffi, and Dave-san (am I missing anybody?) must be walking dictionaries! Does anyone remember the daily language lessons (vocabulary & grammar) published in the Yokohama Stars and Stripes newspaper? I cut out, studied, and saved those that appeared from 1952-54, and they are now hibernating somewhere in my attic.

Peter, unfortunately I missed the Kyoto marching band in the Rose Parade but saw the smart-looking Ohio State marching band at the Rose Bowl football game.

Did anyone watch the Penn State/Louisiana game at the Capital One Bowl, aka Citrus Bowl, in Orlando, Florida? What a muddy, miserable cow field on which to play, but it was a nail-biting game with Penn State winning in the last minutes by a close score. Coach Joe Paterno turned 83 on Dec. 21 -- has been at Penn State for 60 years! Would that all of us should live that long and be equally good role models for the next generation!
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

2010 2010/1/2 22:27
The Stars and Stripes newspaper carried a cartoon feature called "Nipponoodle," which was a Japanese character morphed into face or a phrase. Sometimes the character would say what it was in English or reflect some reality of our temporary life on the island.
They were not offensive and even Masako found them funny...

I can't find the word you're looking for. maybe Kaoru-san can help.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Barbara 2010/1/2 23:11
Finally someone likes an idea of mine..I guess your in to football eh?
Ant yes, somewhere I have my old "jibiki"= which just happends to be our word of the day..dictionary.
I hope you would pull those flyers out of the attic and post them. I remember the "weekly housing bulletin" actually it was very handy to see all of the services they offered and tours.. does anyone remember the "friendship day".. hot dogs and yakitori and the old Japanese favorite. cotton candy..

Nipponoodles 2010/1/3 02:10
This was after my time in Japan as a dependant and before I was stationed there. You may be able to buy the book on line.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,867743,00.html

Wendy's 2010/1/3 18:22
Wendy's has closed all of its outlets in Japan. Does it include the bases, too? I'm so sad.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

1/3/06 2010/1/4 00:29
Today would have been my dad's 103rd birthday. He was born in Seattle, the third of four children of a working class family.

His father worked for the Otis Elevator company and when my dad was 17 or 18, he accompanied his father to China to install one of the first such people movers in that young country.

Those few months in Asia lit a life long interest that led to flying for China National Airline Company (owned by American Airlines) and later, flying the Hump in C-46 cargo planes. When an opportunity to put his mechanical engineering skills to work was offered by the US Army at Camp Zama, that's where we headed.

He got there in '49. Mom and I in '51. There were hundreds of old timers, WW II retreads and Korean War new-bees in Japan, working for the US government, all with one thing in common; they didn't want to go home.

Dad passed in 1966 at age 60. This is his day.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Eric 2010/1/4 01:51
Thanks for sharing your Dad's story. I'm sorry he died so young. He obviously has had a profound effect on you, judging by the interesting stories you have told us about him.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Eric 2010/1/4 04:35
It gets a little sobering when someone dies and they are younger than you.
Flying the "hump",man those were the days. Flying tigers and all that stuff.
I would have liked to have met your dad.
Keep those good memories.

Yokohama Navy Exchange 2010/1/4 12:09
The Yokohama Navy Exchange was located on the shipyard at the port of Yokohama. This was the port that I first visited Yokohama in 1950 aboard the USS Catfish SS339. In later years 1965-67 I was Officer in Charge of Navy Security Group Detachment which was located in one of the many caves on the base.
Wayne Milligan, LT(USN) Ret
by Wayne L. Milligan Lt(USN) Ret (guest) rate this post as useful

Welcome Wayne Milligan 2010/1/5 06:30
Finally a correct answer, " The Yokohama Navy Exchange was located on the shipyard at the port of Yokohama." The Yokohama Navy Exchange everyone keeps identifying was actually the Yokohama Army PX when I lived in Yokohama around 1954.
I hope you will tell us what Yokohama was like to visit on liberty in 1950 but I have to warn you that we have several Navy wives that read this thread.

Navy Exchange 2010/1/5 08:07
Welcome Wayne !!
There is an old photo of the "Navy Exchange"
in the 50's located downdown Yokohama. At some point they moved the exchange to Naka KU Ave D where I remember it in the 60's. Q. when did it move and where were the caves that Wayne mentiioned . There were caves in Yokosuka no ? And Wayne, Dave-sans advisory is well taken.. but I think they can handle it.

Caves 2010/1/5 14:53
I've read quite a bit of the history of the base (shipyard) at Yokosuka. I'm sure the caves Wayne wrote about are actually at Yokosuka. The Navy Security Group Detachment and other high-level security commands were located in one or more of the caves.
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Lori 2010/1/5 15:18
by More about the caves (guest) rate this post as useful

Downtown Yokohama Army PX 2010/1/5 17:21
http://www.yohidevils.net/kanto/px1.jpg
http://www.yohidevils.net/kanto/depart2.jpg
This was in addition to the Nasugbu Beach PX which later became the Yokohama Navy Exchange.

Page 102 of 233: Posts 2021 - 2040 of 4652
prev
1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... 233
next

reply to this thread