Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 105 of 233: Posts 2081 - 2100 of 4650
prev
1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 233
next

Dave-san 2010/1/11 05:33
Well, maybe the bars weren’t off limits in 1964-65, but when I got there in January 67, the FSGT told us that the Big Kahuna at Sasebo had put all of the Japanese bars off limits and if there were no English words on the front of the buildings don’t patronize them. There weren’t any “off limits” signs posted anywhere. The Admiral also put the VFW Hall in Yokohama off limits, because they were allegedly buying booze in the PX and reselling it by the drink which was illegal because the VFW is not a governmental organization. There was a notice in the Stars and Stripes, but there was no “Off Limits” sign on the VFW building, I know, because I patronized the place anyway. My boss read the S&S and told me that the Admiral put the VFW off limits and she didn’t want to catch me there; and I remember telling her, “Okay, Colonel, if you don’t go there you won’t catch me.” She just looked at me and laughed. The Cow Bell wasn’t there when you were there, I believe it opened in 67.

Man, the Zebra Club was more than a snack bar it was big and brassy, with white tablecloths, great food and cheap drinks, an indoor Japanese garden, a slot machine room, and several party rooms--it was as nice as any club in Las Vegas at the time, and it had some great Philippino bands and musical groups from the States, and we lined up and did the Funky Broadway! You probably don’t know this, but it was Peter-san who introduced the Funky Broadway to the Zebra Club. He was always yelling at people to watch where they were stepping as his wife lost her contact lens, and everyone was walking around lifting their legs high in the air and pointing at the floor, and the band started playing as they thought we were dancing and it became a tradition. Dave-san, maybe the Zebra was remodeled after you were there due to the big military buildup.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Funky Broadway 2010/1/11 13:29
One of my minor accomplishments.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

School 2010/1/12 10:29
I know US naval man's boys and girls were learning with Yokohama‐Hi‐school. Where were the grade-schooler and the junior high school student learning? When my dad worked for the Yamate police station, I learnt in Ootori‐elementary school. The juvenile sang "Sparrow's school" without fail by learning music. Most Japanese children sing this song. Please listen to this song. And, recall Yokohama in a good age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsHkEZ1hbwk
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Chee chee pa pa... 2010/1/12 11:08
In the 5rd or 6th grade at Nasugbu Beach, our class visited a nearby Japanese Elementary school and the kids sang this song for us.
I remember being with the same children playing baseball and going to the festivals near our Sannotani home, looked after by our maid, Masako.
The youngsters wore black uniforms and had hard black leather backpacks for their books. The looked militaristic to me.
There was a public bath near our house and I remember seeing the same kids walking by our place in the winter nights with their folks, steam radiating out from their kimonos, getas scraping along in sing-song. Dad and I visited the bath a couple of times but mom wasn't interested.

by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Public bath 2010/1/12 13:10
Eric-san

Did you and your father go to the public bath? It was brave. I thought that most foreigners disliked public bath. There was still a public bath when I went to Sannotani about three years ago. The number of public baths has decreased at last few years. Then, I also took a bath at kid. Yakuza that there is a tattoo on the back "Gangster" arrogant in the bathtub there. I think that the public bath of Sannotani has already closed.

Baths 2010/1/12 15:38
I remember going to a public bath in Karuizawa, I think. The place was large, with lots of people, beautifully tiled, and I remember liking it because the bathing area was big enough for a small kid like me to swim. The water was steamy and I loved it.

I also remember bathing in a Japanese home - I don't know where. I think the bathing basically happened outdoors, while standing upright in kind of a bambooed-in protected area, and it consisted of being doused with small buckets of hot water before and after getting soaped up. A kind of showerless shower.

I also remember that people were maybe a lot less methodical about issues of privacy, and separation of sexes - but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Toilets - now there were varieties of those, and some gave me childhood nightmares of falling into a large tank - I'll spare you the details. My first experience with a western style toilet was in Berrick Hall, when we moved there after the war.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Konbanwa! 2010/1/12 17:43
Steffisan & Petersan;

Good evening!

It's half past 11 here in California and about 12 hours behind the Japanese standard time. I've been living in Pebble Beach for the past 23 years. Though I was born and raised in Yokohama, I call this place my home and a paradise. Beautiful clear sky, blue sea, very mild weather, good resturants with fresh vegetables from Salinas Valley, lot of good wine from here and there, local fresh sea food from Monterey Bay and beyond. Also, there are beautiful golf courses in the Monterey Peninsula. And this area is rich in a variety of culture (theaters, concerts, museums and galleries, etc.) How can I ask for anything more?

On Sunday, I and my friend couple went to see that most talked-about recently releasd movie "Avatar" which was awesome! At the same time, I thought that James Cameron, the director, must have been greatly influenced by the late Osamu Tezuka, great sci-fi caroon writer or by Anime* as well as the Japanese movies.

*Anime (an abbreviation of Animation) is a typical Japanese comics which is not only very popular among young Japanese generation but also young generation ovrseas.

No hurricane or tornado, either. Just last week, there were two earthquakes whose epicenters were very far from here that I didn't feel any tremor at all. My very thoughtful and sweet step granddaughter in Colorado was concerned about me upon hearing the news and emailed me asking if I was OK. I responded "Thank you for your concern but I didn't feel any quake. There are St. Andreas Fault or Hayward Fault here in California but it's not my fault or yours, either."

I have a lot of Japanese friend with whom I chat in Japanese from time to time that I don't feel homesick. Also, I have many things to keep myself busy including volunteer work (Ikebana for hospice and museum, or teaching a simple ikebana to kids at loca public as well as pivate schools. Giving tea ceremony demonstration atlocal schools. Weekly helping of church thrift shop or serving and enjoyng dinner with homeless men at church every month, etc.).

I have brothers and a sister, relatives and many friends in Yokohama where I go back every other year. If I go there every year, they might be bored with me. They might as well say "Mata kitano?" (Did you come back again?)

Well, it's late now.

Oyasuminasai.

by Kozue (guest) rate this post as useful

Public Bath 2010/1/13 12:40
I had inquired as to what my dad or anyone else knew about the public bathhouse in Sannotani. It was a curious place for me because of the steam and charcoal and the idea that bathing might be done in a group setting.
My mother completely rejected the idea of visiting the place, using her Iowa logic that we had a perfectly good bath in our house and if people wanted to come over for a soak, she might consider it but wouldn't participate.
Dad had never been inside but knew where it was. Masako, our maid, bathed at the dormitory near the fire station in Area 2. We went and Dad was sure we'd be OK because I think we were a known family, having lived there for several years.
We had neighbors stop by with presentos when word slipped out about my birthday. And there were apologies from several people nearby when the Zengakuran Students tagged our Packard.
The bath house was steamy hot, almost the complete opposite of a Judo house where I took lessons.
At about the time I was to test for the first belt, America called and we went home.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

navy exchange 2010/1/13 13:29
I lived at the bottom of the hill(area 2) between 75-78.
there were schools,a movie theater,bowling alley and more... I saw Jaws for the first time there..

by jrjjrjjr rate this post as useful

lived by fire engine hill 77-79 2010/1/13 14:05
I remember Ms. Block, I totally forgot about her til i read your message!!! I was a cheerleader for the packers!! I lived there between 75 and 78.. I remember the boys that came down the hill and hit the bus.. I had forgot about alot of this..when I was going to kinnick middle school we actually had a contest to name a school mascot that i won.. We were the cougars..
by jrjjrjjr rate this post as useful

Pix of Yokohama 2010/1/15 00:12
These pictures were 1950s to 1970s Honmoku, Yamashita-chou, Motomachi, and Negishi aria.
You might already have seen this link.

http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~matida/gallery2a.htm

Pix 2010/1/15 04:56
Kaoru Thanks for the link and pictures, I saw my old Milk Plant and, Bayside Courts, man, it looked pretty sad.
Hope you are well, Hi to everyone! Haven't been too chatty lately.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Yokohama Pix & Captions 2010/1/16 12:38
Kaoru-san, thank you for the link to the pictures. I had seen them earlier but I have since learned how to translate the captions so they are now much more meaningful to me. For instance, when I originally looked at Peter-san's milk plant I saw 神奈川区新町にあった米軍ミルクプラント which I didn't understand. Translated, it says "The us military milk plant which is in Kanagawa Ku new town."
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Translation 2010/1/16 13:11
Dave-san

Yes, your translation is correct. "Kanagawa-Ku, Shin Machi" is a name of a place.

Thank you.

Dave san 2010/1/17 09:04
My explanation was insufficient. "神奈川区" is Kanagawa Ku. "新町" is Shinmachi.
新町 is a meaning of an originally new town.

I say the Chinese character of the name of a place of Yokohama a little. Perhaps, I think that you know these.

横浜: Yokohama
本牧: Honmoku
元町: Motomachi
山下町: Yamasita-chou
三之谷:Sannotani
山手:Yamate

Japanese characters, milk plant picture 2010/1/17 11:49
Thank you Dave-san and Kaoru. Though I don't know how to read Japanese characters, I love the artistry of them and appreciate the information. I'm not sure why but love to collect new ideas. Dave-san, can you read the Japanese characters or do you have translation software? Either way, most impressive!
Since there's been so much discussion about the milk plant, can anyone identify which particular picture on Kaoru's link shows the milk plant for those of us who can't identify it?
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

Milk plant 2010/1/17 13:26
Barbara-san

The picture to which this Japanese is written is a milk plant.

http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~matida/gallery3.htm
神奈川区新町にあった米軍ミルクプラント

There are another towns near Yokohama Naval base. Please you do these Japanese name of a place and retrieve it with Google. The link of towns that you want to learn though it is Japanese will be able to be seen. I think that the link of old pix of Yokohama is few.

麦田;Mugita
根岸;Negisi
磯子;Isogo
小港;Kominato

Milk plant picture 2010/1/17 16:54
Thank you, Kaoru. This was fun -- I was able to match your Japanese characters to the one's under the correct picture -- success! Thank you, too, for posting the earlier pictures. I had seen them before, but it's always poignant to return to a well-loved place, even though some of the pictures show only sad remnants of the place, and it is now much changed -- a bit like the way a child likes to have a favorite story read to him again and again.
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

Translation Magic 2010/1/17 17:00
Kaoru-san, thank you for your help and suggestions. I translated the milk plant caption with software but I will learn the characters for the place names you suggested. I did recognize 山手 (Yamate). I must have learned it when I lived there.
Barbara-san, you too can translate Japanese with just a little bit of practice.
http://www.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.h...
Select Japanese to English - Block, copy, paste the Japanese characters into Original (Japanese), press Translate and it should come out in English. Try 山手 and the other place names above then try the captions at http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~matida/gallery3.htm.
Try this too 私達はスクールバスに一緒に乗った.
This makes Japanese web sites a lot more interesting. Have fun.
This is another site that is good for vocabulary.
http://www.trussel.com/f_nih.htm
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Barbara and Dave san 2010/1/18 03:59
You're more than welcome. I am glad of your good memories of Yokohama.

Arigatou.

Page 105 of 233: Posts 2081 - 2100 of 4650
prev
1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 233
next

reply to this thread