Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 159 of 233: Posts 3161 - 3180 of 4652
prev
1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... 233
next

Honmukujin-san 2012/1/6 11:18
I have searched for images of Clam Diggers off Honmuku and can't find any. Even the dot org site. Any suggestions ? I would love to see this.

As a kid I dug clams in Ipswich Mass. it was backbreaking work and cut your hands to peices and became infected ect..
One year I dug about a hundred quarts of clams that I processed and froze for winter chowder. Then came hurricane Carol and we lost power for weeks and all were lost. it was days before we discovered the clams. Wheeew..and the freezer coundn't be saved either.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Hokusai prints 2012/1/7 07:55
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Honmuku 2012/1/7 12:36
Try as I might I can't find this Houkusai print. Yes I went to the site and about a dozen others, Have tried varients in case Honmukujin was off, which I doubt as he seems very certain.
This one has me stumped.
Its " Clam Diggers off Honmuku " right ?
If it shows Sanotani I think Eric might be interested too.
OK people, help me out here...

Peter 2012/1/7 13:23
Honmoku not Honmuku.
Spelling can make a difference.
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokusai prints 2012/1/7 15:09
Thank you, Steffi, for posting the link to these wonderful prints (http://www.art.com/gallery/id--a50263/katsushika-hokusai-posters.htm?u) - really beautiful, though I haven't looked at all of them. This forum is such a treasure trove of information. I have some lovely Paul Jocoulet woodblock prints that my parents purchased in Japan in the fifties - have never thought much about their monetary value because their value to me is the memories they carry, and I wouldn't part with them. For insurance purposes, maybe I should go on an internet hunt, though I fear that the search may be one of those endless journeys down a rabbit hole.

by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokusai prints and Jacoulet 2012/1/8 04:18

As Lori said, "Spelling can make a difference." I misspelled Paul Jacoulet in my previous post.
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

Pics of Honmoku and Yokosuka base friendship day 2012/1/8 22:04
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Operation Tomodachi 2012/1/9 12:19
We never forget the rescue operations by U.S. Forces. Arigatou,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JZnENSe2W4&feature=fvwrel&hd=1

Tomodachi 2012/1/9 13:45
Kaoru-san

Tonight I have been watching the vidios of the tsunami. It is hard to believe the destruction and death.

We do not forget.

I hope and pray that the recovery is comming along. In only a few months the Japanese have made wonderful progress incleaning up the debris.

What a great tribute to the work of the Japanese people ! You guys are fantastic. The world could learn much about how to get things done. I know the recovery is not perfect, and that Fukushima will be horrable for a long time. But Japan will survive !

I think of the people in Sendai and all of the coast, now that winter is here. Stay warm my friends. Tomodachi itsumo.

Thank You Kaoru-san 2012/1/11 16:42
The pictures and videos are wonderful. I googled and translated and came up with this site that I've seen before in somewhat different format.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www5.ocn.ne...

http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~matida/gallery2.htm
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Great pix 2012/1/12 05:01
Thanks Kaoru san and Dave san for the trip down memory lane. The Bill Chickering (named for a Time-Life war correspondent) looks much as it did when I spent my Saturday mornings there.
by Eric Davis (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/1/12 07:28
Dave-san
I loved the pictures !! And the Japanese translation. Is priceless. Especially the Zebra Club is said to be an American Cultural Center.!! I never knew that ?? Wally ? Comments ?
Yokohama Station looks exactly as I remember it, complete with the Yokohama smog. Motomachi too. Big contrast there compaired with now.
It was sad to see the housing area looking abandon. Hopefully its better now.
I have been thinking..[dangerious prospect]
IF the tsunami had hit Yokohama the way it did on the coast, I wonder what the damage would have been.
Again great photos ! Thanks..

Abandoned housing 2012/1/12 14:11
The housing that looks abandoned in the pictures has been torn down and the land given back to the Japanese government. It was called Area 2 and was located on the same side of Honmoku-dori (D Ave.) as the PX, Theater, etc. This happened in about 1982.
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Honmoku 2012/1/12 15:25
If you'd like to see some contemporary pictures of Honmoku, here they are - -

http://jaydeejapan.wordpress.com/2009/10/06/exploring-japan-honmoku-yo...

Arigatou 2012/1/14 15:54
Steffi-san

Thank you for the very interesting link,
I saw this first time. I often went to Kamakura, Zushi and Hayama. Yokohama is little cold, but not snowfall now.

BTW, Are your great father buried in Yamate Foreigners Cemetery? The gate is opened these days. Would you tell me father's name, if you don't have any problemsH

Ogenkide,

Kaoru-san 2012/1/16 13:20
My father is buried in the Foreigners' Cemetery on the Bluff in Yokohama. His name was Karl Cohn. I very much appreciate your interest, and hope that you will find the time to visit his grave. Thank you so much!

It is now cold in NYC also - 17 degrees Fahrenheit. But it has been warm until now, so the grass outside is still bright green, and something was sending little shoots up from the ground.

Hope everyone's well and having a good New Year.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/1/21 15:34
Interesting blog here... I was born in the Navy Hospital(58) in Yokosuka and lived in Yokohama from the early 60's til 73. Now I return to Tokyo 3 or 4 times a month as an airline pilot. It's truly amazing how things completely disappear there. It took me a month to figure out where the OLD Sanno Hotel was, just to find out it was a block and a half from my usual hotel in Akasaka. Not a trace. My Boy Scout meetings were at Bayside Courts. Little League in Area 1 by the Seaside Club. Chickened out going down Fire Engine Hill on my bike in Area 2. Slotcar Racing at the Hobbyshop in the Negishi Grandstands. My mom worked as a Pharmacist at Bluff Hospital for awhile. My dad was at North Pier for MSTS / MSC. Thanks for the memories.
by Kent (guest) rate this post as useful

Remembering 1959-61 Yokohama 2012/1/24 07:46
Just came across this blog. It's incredible how many people are insearch of their past in Yokohama. It was an amazing childhood for many of us. My family lived in Area 2 next to playground #9 from 1959 to 1961. We left when I was midway through 4th grade. Born Filipino Japanese it sometimes felt like we were in America when I was at school (so many Americans). I remember the toy store across the street. American kids and I use to go to the snack shop near the entrance to the Area 2 where they would all gobble up sweet dried squid snacks. I ran into a family here in the states named the Radfords...their grandfather coached football and taught at Yohi.
by Santos (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/1/24 13:46
Kent,
My friends and I went down fire station hill on bicycles almost everyday during the summer. Really scary steep...fell a couple of times. There was a dog who lived at the top of the hill who always chased us. I looked at the 1949 map of area 2 and I don't recall so many houses above Crescent avenue...in 1959-61 it was all bamboo forest.
by Santos (guest) rate this post as useful

Hello Santos ! 2012/1/26 01:37
I remember the bamboo forest on the hillside in the back side of Area 2. It was a great place to play.
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 159 of 233: Posts 3161 - 3180 of 4652
prev
1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... 233
next

reply to this thread