Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 161 of 233: Posts 3201 - 3220 of 4653
prev
1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 ... 233
next

Tsunami Pictures & Present Pictures 2012/2/29 03:25
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Pictures - thank you Dave-san 2012/3/1 15:24

Dave-san - haven't seen you post for a while - glad you're back. Hope all is well.

Those are amazing pictures - and a testiment to the hard-working Japanese. Do we clean up disasters as quickly here in the US? Just wondering?

Unfortunately, we do here that much was kept from the Japanese people about the danger they were in. Also - they have now discovered signs of radiation 400 miles out in the oceon - not sure how.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

"Japan Zoo Hunts for Escaped Penguin" 2012/3/6 00:50
The hunt was on Monday for a penguin that scaled a sheer rock face to escape from a Tokyo zoo, and was last seen swimming in a river in the Japanese capital.

The one-year-old Humboldt penguin was snapped bathing in the mouth of the Old Edogawa river, which runs into Tokyo Bay, after fleeing its home in the east of the city in an echo of the hit animated film Madagascar.
Takashi Sugino, an official at Tokyo Sea Life Park, said the 60-centimetre (24-inch) bird appeared to have got itself over a rock wall twice its size and made a run for it.

"We first noticed the penguin might have fled when the director of a neighbouring zoo e-mailed us Sunday, with a photo," said Sugino.
A second picture provided by a visitor allowed keepers to identify the errant bird as one that hatched last January.

Sugino said it was not entirely clear how the creature had managed to get out of the enclosure it shares with 134 other Humboldt penguins.

"Of course it can't fly, but sometimes wildlife have an 'explosive' power when frightened by something. Maybe it ran up the rock after being surprised," he said.
In the 2005 computer animated film Madagascar, penguins are among a group of animals that mount an escape as they are being transported.

Zoo officials were Monday scouring the area where the Tokyo penguin was last spotted in the hope of recapturing it.

"It's a bit of a struggle to catch it when it is swimming, because it swims at a tremendous speed," Sugino said. "We are hoping to catch it when it climbs up on land to sleep."

by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/3/6 06:49
I'm rooting for the penguin !!
5 bucks anyone ??
Live free or Die !!
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Escaped Penguin 2012/3/7 06:26
I'm with Peter. Let the penguin enjoy the river.

Kennewick Man 2012/3/11 00:24
Confession. I was just yanking Twilliger's chain. I haven't done any research on Kennewick Man, I plagerized my "thesis" from an anthropological website. So, sue me.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Tsunami 2012/3/11 03:06
On the first anniversery of the Japan Earthquake and tsunami, I would like to extend my thoughts and prayers to all Japanese effected by this horrable event, especially those who have lost loved ones, and most especially those who lost loved ones that remain missing.

Peace be with you..

Happy St. Patrick's Day 2012/3/17 22:57
Éirinn go brách, Ireland forever!

Happy St. Patrick's Day 2012/3/17 23:01
Oops! My earlier post didn't come out quite right. It should be Erin go Bragh!

St Pats day 2012/3/17 23:24
And also to you Wally and everybody.
"May the road rise to meet you"
My Wife Janet [ McGee] says that this is her
high "holy" day. This means she does black and tans, and I do the cooking. And listen to Riverdance..again.

St. Patrick's Day Parade Motomachi Yokohama 2012 2012/3/18 03:47
I sure wish we could be there for this. Happy St. Patrick's Day!
http://www.welcome.city.yokohama.jp/eng/travel/events/upcoming_events/...

Motomachi St. Patrick's Day Parade 2012/3/18 11:27
I don't know what we missed today. These are from 2008. I love the pipe & drum band.
http://vimeo.com/790237
http://vimeo.com/790244

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/3/21 23:38
Area One
by johnson (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/3/26 09:37
Wow...I stumbled on this thread. I lived at 350 or 305 Bayview, up the hill from Kinnick school, from 1964-68. Walked to school every day. I remember the exchange, and the Bill Chickering Theatre, where we went to see Patti Page and Kay Starr! Apparently The Monkees showed up the year after we shipped out to New Jersey. I also remember catching the Special Services bus on Saturdays to go all over - to Kamakura, Sanken Gardens... wow. My Dad was stationed at Yokosuka Naval Hosp. I remember going to Isezaki-cho and Motomachi street. There was a cake I was addicted to - it was called a "tree cake" because if you sliced it horizontally, there were tiny rings, spaced out like a tree.
by Kelly (Anderson) Creason (guest) rate this post as useful

More then/now tsunami pics, other news 2012/3/26 20:16
A 150-foot (45-meter) fishing boat is nearing the Canadian coast. It is upright. This newspaper article contains several other links, such as to last year & this year photographs of the tsunami-affected area, and Japan's request for the return of tsunami material as it arrives in North America. (California, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia are attempting to coordinate efforts to honor this request.) http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/24/japanese-fishing-boat-lost-in-...
by wata geiru rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/3/27 03:02
I can'tbelieve that this ship would have made it all this way without sinking.
Question. When [not if] this vessel is recovered, who then "ownes" the ship ?
Any maritime lawyers out there ? If the original owners claim it do they have to come and get it ? Has the insurance been paid off, what then ? Is it salvage ? Finders keepers ? It would be wonderful to see what happends to it. Do the original owners know its been found ? Whats it worth?

Tree Cake 2012/3/27 13:33
I never ate this but it looks yummy. There was a German bakery on Motomachi that probably had this.
http://o-tabemono.blogspot.com/2012/02/unboxing-baumkumchen-japanese-t...

A 150-foot (45-meter) fishing boat 2012/3/27 14:08
Wata Geiru, thank you for the interesting links.
Peter-san, I am not a maritime lawyer but I assume the original owners of everything from the tsunami drifting toward North America are still the legal owners and also have liability. The boat owners of the fishing boat have been identified and contacted and will most likely be responsible for salvage and disposal. Insurance claims will be interesting. I know nothing about Japanese insurance but American insurance often excludes damage resulting from natural disasters unless you pay extra for coverage. I assume the same is true everywhere. There will be a lot of interesting stories about tsunami debris.

Flotsam 2012/3/28 08:44
Dave-san
Somehow I am just intrigued by this boat business. I wonder how they would have liability on something that is out of their control. I can understand a claim on their property, but not liability. [ Mary Celeste]

If i were on that coast and had the means I would run right out and secure that boat. Maybe later fix it up for them and take it back. From the pictures its not the only one. Anyway the designers and builder have a great ad campaign, This boat is a winner ! Please anyone..don't scrap it.

Drifting Boat Liability 2012/3/29 12:44
Peter-san - you have owned a boat and know if it was to break loose from its moorings you would be liable for any resulting expenses even though the boat was not under your control. The same principal applies here. The Mary Celeste, that you mentioned, was returned to its American owners, the cargo was shipped to its intended owners in Italy, and the crew of the salvaging ship was rewarded for saving the Mary Celeste. Who paid? The Mary Celeste owners or their insurers.
Some of the recent tsunami pictures we've recently seen showed pictures of boats that came ashore and caused damage in Japan. I'm pretty sure the owners of those boats were responsible for removing them and paying for the damage they caused. We had the same situation on the Gulf Coast after Katrina when boats washed ashore.
You could run out and secure that boat but the owners would still have title to it and that would probably still be true even if it was to sink. There's no such thing as "finders keepers" under the law where the true owners can be identified.

Page 161 of 233: Posts 3201 - 3220 of 4653
prev
1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 ... 233
next

reply to this thread