Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 164 of 233: Posts 3261 - 3280 of 4653
prev
1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 ... 233
next

re-captured penguin.... 2012/6/1 07:21
I read the penguin was too young for aquarium keepers to determine its sex It's name in the meantime is something like ''number 345''. It will be named when it's a bit older.

Poor little penguin - hope its pink-eye heals quickly.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/6/1 07:58
Hi Steffi
345 is not really a name, its a number.

We are trying to presonalize the plight of the pemguin, by naming it.

Whats your offering ?
Something deliourious clever please.

I wonder if this red-eye is from the water or just too much partying in Yokohama. Of course I wouldn't know anyting about that.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Jail Bird 337 2012/6/1 13:49
Here's a link to a story that has a video you may not have seen.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/25/japan-escaped-penguin-reca...
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

"Name the Penguin" 2012/6/3 13:04
How about pin-pin penguin? Pin-pin means lively. I feel he had to be quite lively to escape in the first place and also to avoid capture for so long!
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

speaking of penguins...... 2012/6/4 15:08
If you have any little guys in your life, you may be familiar with little Pengu - the cartoon character...., and his little sister Penga.....here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpSDZQwGRM0&feature=related
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/6/6 11:30
Steffi-san

Thank you funny movie.

My best friends kept pet passed. I'm sad,too.
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Dock From Japan Tsunami Washes Ashore 2012/6/7 22:50

Japanese tsunami debris and invasive species 2012/6/10 03:46
David, Steffi, Kaoru, Peter, Eric, and all -

I'm reminded of the zebra mussels we discussed earlier on this forum:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2012/0609/Invasive-spec...
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/6/12 08:37
Hi, all

I telephoned Eric-san today's morning(Tuesday).
His voice is young and healthy.
I went to Kamakura last night.
We had a good talk.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2012/6/17 06:36
SEA INVADERS FOUND ON TSUNAMI DEBRIS PIER LANDED IN OREGON

Chicago Tribune newspaper, 16 June 2012, by Kim Murphy

SEATTLE -- The 65-foot-long floating dock that washed up in central Oregon last week from last yearfs tsunami in Japan was surprising enough. What proved stunning to scientists who rushed down to examine it was the cargo: About 2 tons of living sea creatures, some of which could devastate local sea life populations.

gThere was a huge amount of stuff. They were very healthy, very reproductive. And included in the list of species that we could identify were some very, very bad characters that we really are afraid of having here \ so yes, this really is a horrible thing,h said John Chapman of Oregon State Universityfs Hatfield Marine Science Center.

The large concrete and Styrofoam pier, washed off the coast of northern Japan during the March 2011 earthquake and subsequent tsunami, contained at least 30 species \ and possibly more. Many were not native to the U.S. coast, said Chapman, an expert in aquatic biological invasions.

The discovery on a quiet beach outside of Newport, Ore., shocked scientists, he said, because never before have they seen a piece of ocean debris wash up with traveling wildlife from so far away.

Usually, debris washes ashore with the kind of barnacles and other sea life common to the deep sea, posing no threat to shoreline populations.

gWhen we walked up to that float on the shore and saw it covered with Japanese organisms, it was the first minute that anybody has really worried about introduced organisms with marine debris. It was like landing on the moon,h Chapman said in an interview.

gIt took us some time to just sort of grasp the enormity of what this was. We didnft think such a thing could happen. And there it was, on our beach.h

Shoreline communities along the West Coast, such as Los Angeles Harbor and San Francisco Bay, are always battling the problem of invasive species to one degree or another. Sometimes theyfre brought in on bilge water from cargo ships, though tightened restrictions in California are making headway on that problem.

Australian officials have been battling the introduction of the Northern Pacific star fish, or Asterias amurensis, in Tasmania for years. gIf the Australians could push a button and kill them all, they would do it. Theyfd push on top of each other to do it,h Chapman said.

Guess what scientists found on the Japanese dock?

Not only the Northern Pacific star fish, but Japanese shore crabs and brown algae -- Undaria pinnitifida -- the kind used for making Japanese miso soup. (California officials already are trying to get rid of the algae near Monterey Bay.)

gWe saw those three things right away, and we thought, eOh, if none of these other characters on there mattered, we knew this was a totally bad crew. And we donft want them,fh Chapman said.

Scientists immediately called the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife and the Department of Parks and Recreation, which oversees the beaches, and told them they had an emergency on their hands.

gWe had to say, ePlease kill this as fast as you can,fh Chapman said.

Within two days, workers were out on the dock, scraping as many of the animals away as possible and burying them eight feet under the sand on the beach. They then attacked the dock with blowtorches to try to kill what was left.

The state is now accepting bids to remove the dock, which has attracted thousands of sightseers since its arrival June 5.

They canft go fast enough for Chapman.

gWhen this thing first showed up, people were trying to figure out where it came from, and it had a plaque with Japanese characters, so they could tell exactly where it came from. But the biologists that were there didnft need that,h he said. gIt was writ large on the float: This is from Japan.h
by wata geiru rate this post as useful

Godzilla's 58th BD 2012/6/17 13:40
We grew seeing this movie.
Probably,I think that this movie is a the first Godzilla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuxVv6GD2-4

Big Lizard 2012/6/25 00:43
We could use a big guy like this to clean up Washington...
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Godzilla 2012/6/25 04:49
I saw Godzilla at Isesaki-cho in 1967, and later I saw the movie.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Godzilla 2012/6/25 11:09
HUN ?

Wal-san, this begs for a little explanation..ne ?

Saw the movie again last week. Had subtitles
perhaps not the best way to brush up on my Japanese but works for me.

Next best 50's campy horror movie..THEM !!

Best movie line.."Make me a sergeant and charge the booze !!!

Now I nderstand 2012/6/27 05:46
Wally
You were comming out of the Peanut Bar at 1 am, Right ??

I see that Absenthe is now legal here.

Kamakura 2012/6/27 10:47
The hydrangea of Kamakura is full bloom.
These are Meigetsuin and Hase temple.
A small train is Enoden.

Please enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR0SLLQr6RI

Kaoru 2012/6/27 11:56
The video of the hydrangeas is beautiful to watch and also to hear the music! Thank you for sharing this with us.
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Hydrangea Video 2012/6/28 06:22
Kaoru, such lovely pictures and music - thank you so much!
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

Mid Atlantic storm 2012/7/3 02:35
The DC and VA areas had a major storm, leaving millions without power.
In extreme heat.
Dave-san, you OK ?

DC Metro Storm 2012/7/4 20:44
Peter-san , We are fine and feeling very lucky thanks to underground wiring in Park Fairfax, the area in Alexandria, VA where I live. Unfortunately many people in the surrounding area, including my step-son, have been without power since the storm came through on June 29th. It seems like everybody we know lost power at least for a day or so. There is more tree damage here than I've ever seen before.
For those of us lucky enough to have power life is pretty normal. For these still without power, AC, refrigeration, it's got to be miserable.

Page 164 of 233: Posts 3261 - 3280 of 4653
prev
1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 ... 233
next

reply to this thread