Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 36 of 36
prev
1 2

Re: Is ramen any good? 2016/6/2 12:43
Please check here.
http://www.ramenadventures.com/

It is very objective opinion.
I refer to it though I am Japanese.

by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Is ramen any good? 2016/6/2 18:21
The famous ones are certainly delicious. I just put on 1.5kg by eating one bowl of ramen (and finishing the soup).
I really amazed how Japanese can keep to their waistline considering many eat out.
by chie21jan rate this post as useful

Re: Is ramen any good? 2016/6/4 13:35
Last I saw there were 100 billion servings of instant ramen around the world per year. That doesn't count the fresh (Tampopo is a cool movie too). I did see a comment that Japan had 800,000 ramen restaurants, but seems a little high.

Like most food, some is good, some isn't - depends on the recipe.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is ramen any good? 2016/6/5 03:08
It's pretty much a given that there is at least one Japanese restaurant in one of the major cities in Canada. It's probably far cheaper to try ramen in one these the next time you go instead of flying all the way to Japan.

I've only had "real" ramen twice. I wasn't exactly blown away but it was pretty tastey. If you just want any ramen you can buy that at Walmart. I know Canada has a large asian population so can probably buy the same noodles Japanese people would use at a international market. It'll probably taste better at a restaurant though.
by chrismishima (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is ramen any good? 2016/6/7 18:02
Noodles are made of stardust and unicorn's tears

This is quite a common misconception and one I'd like to (finally) put to rest. Although the taste may well lead you to believe that it's truly stardust and unicorn's tears that you're slurping on, it's actually the lacrimal secretions of the Gnu that gives ramen its distinctive and delicious flavor. This is why the food was originally called gnudles but over time the spelling has been Americanized to its current form.

Source: Was there when gnudles were originally invented. I also have a secret recipe given to me by the inventor. I would share it with you all but I can't obvs because it's supposed to be, well... a secret.
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Is ramen any good? 2016/6/8 08:45
Here i was thinking ramen was a gift from the gods or something xD
Ramen is Wheatian, Ramen is Wheatian, Ramen is Wheatian...
by milkev rate this post as useful

Re: Is ramen any good? 2016/6/10 06:46
Okinawan Soba (which is really ramen because it is more wheat than buckwheat) is a gift from the gods, IMO. Extraordinarily good, for ramen.

And Abura Soba (ramen noodles mixed in oil and other goodies) is pretty awesome too.

Normal ramen is usually pretty tasty. Restaurant bought stuff can give you a bit of urgency as a good stock will have a lot of fat mixed through it for taste. It is really easy to make a decent soy ramen at home, if you have the raw (uncooked) chinese noodles, and you work with a decent chicken stock. The local asian supermarket should have other stuff to put in, eg fishcake or shabu shabu pork slices (mouth waters). Post if you want the stock recipe, it is easy as and a lot of the internet recipes make it look a lot more involved than it is.

Instant ramen can taste pretty good, but it is super fattening, really high in salt, very little nutritional value, and sometimes it has palm oil in it which pretty much stays in your system until the end of time. I think it is best for people looking to put on weight quickly, and even then it isnt good to have a lot.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is ramen any good? 2016/6/10 19:43
The worst ramen I had at Taro in London; instant ramen would have been better :-)
by Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is ramen any good? 2016/6/10 21:23
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Is ramen any good? 2016/6/10 23:57
prious, i didnt know there was different types of noodles! thats pretty intresting, ill have to try all of them now!
Winter, im in a little town called Grande Cache, just south of hinton, if heard we had a sushi restaurant, but idk the name or were it is in town :/

Re: Is ramen any good? 2016/6/15 14:28

i didnt know there was different types of noodles! thats pretty intresting, ill have to try all of them now!

Really? Would you try this?

http://kotaku.com/the-most-ridiculous-ramen-restaurant-in-japan-174486...
by * (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is ramen any good? 2016/6/16 00:00
unfortanutely, I'm really only browsing the internet and forums at school, that site is blocked cus my school hates me and ramen :(

Re: Is ramen any good? 2016/6/21 22:43
depends on your personal preference, if you like noodles then you'll probably like ramen, though it also depends on how it's prepared, just like any other simalar dish from around the world it can be made and seasoned in various ways.
by crwydryny rate this post as useful

Re: Is ramen any good? 2016/6/23 00:15
I kind of think of Ramen like Chicken or Pasta. It's the same base ingredients (noodles and stock) but it can be done so many ways.

I'm not really a fan of soupy meals - but I will say that nothing beats a good bowl of Ramen on a cold day (not the stuff you can get at the train stations!).

On another note - here is a Ramen song I sung to my students who were happy about Tuesday being Ramen day at School.

"I Ramen-ber the time, I had Ramen for Lunch"
" I Ramen-ber, Ramen-ber, Ramen-ber it my Baby"

Lets just say I'm now famous/infamous at my school....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Is ramen any good? 2016/6/24 15:52
US foodies have already discovered the joys of a good bowl of ramen, at least here on the West Coast. The large cereal-type bowl of noodles and broth is delicious with any of the usual additions like Japanese bacon, egg, mushrooms, etc. only adding to the experience. As for Japan, one of the great overlooked joys of most Japanese Cities, Tokyo in particular, is the three-stool ramen bar (or even the no-stool walk-up ramen bar) where you slurp down the wonderful concoctions the cooks make out of very fresh ingredients. This resembles cup o' noodles in the states like a piece of generic beef jerky resembles a 3500 Yen wagyu beef dinner. With Asahi or Kirin; gampai.
by johnnyman rate this post as useful

Re: Is ramen any good? 2016/6/29 02:50
If made correctly, it is exquisite. :)
by SlickEric rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 36 of 36
prev
1 2

reply to this thread