Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 2 of 157: Posts 21 - 40 of 3136
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 157
next

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/24 04:55
Keep wasting keystrokes on theories and false conclusions.

Japan government will make a decision when they will open the borders for tourism. Until then, deal with it.
by LOL @ U (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/24 07:27
In reference to Australia, they are a good example to illustrate how/what can happen in a short time. Specifically I am referencing the changes for Victoria (rather than NSW), and while they do have an issue between their Federal and State governments, the changes in the last one month have been dramatic.
To suggest late 2022 or 2023 for Japan is unrealistic.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/24 22:08
I would not say information shared/directly messaged from someone on specific social media is accurate or inaccurate, but would say only information we can trust is official announcement of government. Immigration regulation is not what made by organization.

As mentioned earlier, there is no official announcement yet, even no rumors. What the man said to @Martin seems to be originally someone's prediction or just hope.

I also think this kind of comments they could at least let people from vaccinated countries in might make Japan even careful/conservative. In Japan (not only my country), people who insist that vaccinated means safe are seen negatively, attitude towards vaccines are different from Europe and USA, though I would not write details nor discuss about effect of vaccine here as it is off the topic and it may lead unnecessary conflicts.
by Asiansenior (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/25 17:07
@Asiansenior

But do the people know that keeping borders closed is not a long-term solution?
by ; (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/25 20:23
It will happen by Mid 2022, if nothing else drastic happens globally. I expect a limited number of countries will be able to visit by April time.

People seem to be forgetting there was a plan in place last year, before the alpha and delta variants took off, and importantly, before vaccines. I appreciate those variants changed things drastically, but it shows they weren't as desperate to keep foreigners out as some users believe.

To suggest that Japan won't open their borders at all until sometime in 2023 is, provided nothing major changes, quite frankly, moronic.
Of course book refundable or exchangeable tickets, but I would suggest doing that with any international booking.
by Dave (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/25 21:31
@; I think so, but many people also know that 'long-term solution' itself is different in each country because each country has different situation socially, culturally and legally.

Anyway, I didn't say that Japan would be closed for long time nor would be opened in near future. What I wanted to say was that we should see government's announcement and should not expect other countries decision to be the same as own country's decision.
by Asiansenior (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/26 11:43
No worries, Japanese people know keeping closed for tourists who contribute economy and cultural interaction is not a long-term solution. They just think that letting people who may cause dispensable stay-at-home and crisis of medical services, isn't a long-term solution (Japan had both this summer). For healthy economy, normal daily life with work and consume by locals are important as well as income from international tourism.
by AntiJijikai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/27 08:09
@All, especially those living in Japan

What is your current impression? Does Japanese society want or wish for a new Sakoku era?
by ! (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/27 08:53
In my opinion, a large majority of the population considers the reopening of borders to tourists as premature at the moment. Depending on the developments of the coming few months (inside and outside of the country), this could or could not change.

A huge majority of the population does not wish a new sakoku era. Too many enjoy oversea travel themselves.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/27 09:38
They enjoy overseas travel for themselves. But do they at the same time want to prevent people from other countries to enter Japan for decades or worse?
by ! (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/27 10:26
But do they at the same time want to prevent people from other countries to enter Japan for decades or worse?

Of course not! You are overreacting.

International tourism is regarded as a very important industry, and Japan will certainly reopen to tourists in the relatively near future unless the pandemic is taking another bad turn to the worse.

The vaccination program for the first two shots has not quite ended yet, and the economy-friendly LDP is likely to remain in power after thus weekend's elections. I expect discussions about the reopening of Japan to start within the next few weeks.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/27 11:07
I am not Japanese but as a resident I agree with Uji-san. Even if it is not opened sooner, it doesn't means Japan want Sakoku, it doesn't mean Japanese people don't aware of importance of re-opening, just it is not time for Japan, what should be concerned and done before re-opening are not same in each country.

I understand people pine for the day when it opened but it is not wise to blame Japan who don't do what you want and the others who say what you don't want. We enjoy planning.
by Shimotsuke (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/28 18:25
Appears Japan is on schedule in terms of their vaccination rate, at least according to published public data. Almost November, and just over 70% vaccinated.

Previously, before the Delta variant, 70% was supposedly the magic number for "herd immunity". Reading reports that the new "magic number" is 80% vaccinated. The interesting thing about that is Japan is well on its way of achieving that before the end of the year, if not early December.

With more countries hitting the 70% or above fully vaccinated range, will be interesting how this will affect the rules on travel and tourism.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/28 20:25
It all looks really good now. If it were any other country on current trajectory I would guess that they would be opening up in the next few months. But it's not any other country, it is Japan. Japan has been incredibly reactive (as opposed to proactive) throughout the entire pandemic. I think that even a minor bump in the road will set things back months. I am also not convinced that in Japan there truly exists such a thing as a magic number, even is that is something that people talk about. Ultimately decisions are going to be more political than scientific in nature.

Given the fact that a) there is little appetite for opening back up among the general populace (at least as far as I see), and b) Kishida had a front row seat to watch what happened to Suga and will probably want to avoid doing anything that could expose him to criticisms of being too hasty, I am assuming that wherever a slower, more cautious and conservative approach is available, that is the route they will take.

I definitely hope I am wrong as I am now booked for 2022, but I've been burnt twice already thanks to this pandemic and ultimately nobody knows what is going to happen. Even after they announce something, plans could change overnight. We just don't know.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/28 21:40
@LIZ,
your speculation is really correct, unfortunately. you seem to know Japan more than other foreigners.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/29 10:19
Some argued Japan wouldn't hit the 70% number by November. Guess some don't know their own country, or at least arrogantly think they are always right.

The other factor in this will be economic realities, which will strongly influence politics as well. Not just for Japan, but other countries too. Many businesses want to get back to previous norms and ways of making profits. Conservative groups (in various countries) are often leading the charge in this regard.

Vaccine passports are/were part of those plans for getting back to normal. But it seems many want to go beyond even that, dropping those requirements, and just open everything back up in general once the population hits a certain "magic" vaccination percentage.

As it stands, for those who can prove they are fully vaccinated and show a negative test result, the quarantine period can been reduced from 14 days to 10 days. The pressure will mount next year, with higher vaccinated population percentages, to lower those restrictions even further.

Of course there will always be those anti-foreigner segments in various countries, that prefer a "hermit kingdom", but the issue with that is forming reciprocal business, travel, and tourism agreements with other countries.

Well, as the saying goes, "time will tell". 2022 is sure to be interesting, to say the least.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/10/31 04:33
I was planning to go to Japan before the pandemic and now I am really looking for the borders to get opened. I know that the situation can stay the same for a few years and what we can do is just to wait and not get frustrated or depressed. Sometimes it is hard for me, as I feel like we are in some fantasy movie
by Penelope11 rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/11/1 05:24
Japanese tourism sector = miscule as compared to other avenues of trade. It`s like asking santa if christmas is coming early this year. i.e. not happening.
by thefinalpokedude rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/11/2 11:44
It's not tourists but it is foreign business people and study abroad.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Japan-to-ease-entry-for-...

I would think an article published in the Asia Nikkei is relatively reliable. They are also dropping quarantine for fully vaccinated tourists to 3 days.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2021/11/2 11:46
I mean quarantine is dropping for fully vaccinated foreigners coming for short business trips and study abroad to 3 days. Sorry about that!

Still definitely a positive sign.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 157: Posts 21 - 40 of 3136
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 157
next

reply to this thread