Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 48
prev
1 2 3
next

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/3/26 14:13
We came in two weeks ago and it was 1.5hrs from the plane to exit of customs, then another 45 minutes at least in the line at the JR counter to get our rail passes. It's tough to tolerate after such a long day of flying, and it makes you ponder how the Japanese can be so efficient at one thing, like making cars, and so comically inefficient at something else, like rail travel tickets. But in the end everyone has smiles and there always seems to be room on the train, even if it's leaving in 20 minutes. And, compared to Amtrak it's quite a luxury of services and way less expensive.
by CeeDee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/3/26 21:42
Arrived at 6pm on a Sunday and it took 2 hours to clear immigration and customs. We lived in Japan in the early 2000fs and visited once a year after that and before COVID and had never experienced such a long frustrating time at Naritafs immigration and customs. What happened? It is inexplicable. We hope Narita gets its act together soon. It is not a very welcoming experience and definitely will make us rethink future travel in Japan.
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/3/27 04:44
I mentioned before that we flew through - probably 15 minutes - arriving at 6.30PM, Narita terminal 3.

I probably should have mentioned, we had our vax certs printed out and screenshots of the Japan Web registrations, also we travel with carry on baggage only which for a 2 week trip has its frustrations, but is worth them when arriving in airports and travelling on trains and buses.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/3/27 15:03
2 weeks ago Haneda was very fast (had printouts from VJW).
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/3/30 16:28
@CeeDee:
I've been visiting once at the peak of Sakura season, several years before COVID. The immigration queue was massive, the JR pass queue was massive as well. We completed everything also in almost 3 hrs. I would assume the crowd at your arrival was massive too, considering this is the first sakura season after Japan reopen.

Hard to blame at the effectiveness, the crowd probably is just too big.
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/4/1 08:06
Landed yesterday and was surfing the Web to see if something special happened yesterday.

First time I've landed in Narita after having multiple goodnexperiences with Kansai Airport, and honestly was shocked to find that my 2PM landing took until 6PM to clear my family out. Almost all immigration counters were used too, apart from a couple or three.

Cellular signal and Airport Wi-Fi connectivity was non-existent whilst I waited, too. Seemed like the line didn't stop growing longer from behind, either.

I wonder how people will manage finding out that because their immigration profess took more than double the time they've expected they may miss their last train to the city...
by caines rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/4/1 19:18
is there any experiences for Tokyo (Haneda) International. I'll arrive 17:00 and these readings are worrying for me.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/4/1 20:38
Guests arriving yesterday (Friday afternoon):
Narita, less than an hour (late afternoon). They said their biggest queues were for the train ticket into the city and waiting for a taxi at Tokyo station to the hotel.
Haneda, less than an hour (50 minutes - late afternoon). Five or six flights all arrived at once due to some delays, but even with five plane loads, people were out in reasonable time.
Biggest queues I've seen are for things like the JRP exchange - I would never do that at an airport, and even this evening I went to a spot that is usually quiet (at 6 p.m.) and I was in and out in just under an hour (didn't bother booking any tickets - too painful). Simply, there are lots and lots of people travelling.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/4/2 01:02
My partner has just been 4.5 hours in the immigration queue (fast track) at Narita. He landed at 5pm and finally out at 10pm. This was fast track with all details uploaded on Visit Japan Web etc. He was 2 hours just in a corridor and 3 hours before he even glimpsed an immigration desk. Messed up his onward journey and has been a major stress. I'm flying out to meet him next week but into Haneda so hoping that's better.
by Lucienka (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/4/2 07:19
My family arrived at Narita airport, last night about 8.30pm.
They where in customs for 4 hours with an 8 and 10 year old , with no sleep, flying from Australia.
When finallyout of this ghastly situation , there transfer had been cancelled.
Taxis slow, one every half hour.
Then had to wait toget rail pass.

They are now on way to hotel, on train, feelng very bad.
Great welcome to Japan.
Why the wait3/4 hr wait in customs.
Disgusting.
Never again.
by Dianne Cox (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/4/2 13:51
Hmmm concerning, we are landing at 5.00 pm on a Saturday and the Only reason we ended up getting the JR rail pass was once we added the transfer from the airport to the city it made it cost effective to do so, but if we end up spending hours in the queues at the airport and give up on the train and get the bus or taxi then it defeats the point of having the rail pass.

Does anyone know when the last train from the airport goes into the city?

Do I need everyone with me to get the rail passes or as long as I have the passports and vouchers then it is ok that they are not with me?
by Karen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/4/4 02:07
I hope much of the hassle was due to Hanami and the influx of tourists. I am due to arrive Tuesday, April 10 at 1500. I seem to have all my paperwork in order. I hope the procedure is more expeditiously executed as they get more accustomed to larger crowds.

I also never exchange my pass at the airport. I take the Keisei Skyliner and get the actual pass elsewhere to save time and avoid the annoyance.
by John Braden rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/4/4 05:46
In order to provide a data point, we deplaned at NRT T1 on 3 April, at about 3:10 PM. We had our Covid "blue" screen and two QR codes. We finally got into the main terminal at about 4:20 PM.

The quarantine went very fast, as long as you had the "blue" screen. They hardly checked. I felt very fortunate because by the time we finished the second step, immigration, the queue looked like it doubled! Customs was pretty quick. Clearly, the immigration line was the longest, but it moved fairly fast.

But the area around the JR Travel Center for JR Pass pickup was crazy. Do not try to get your JR Pass if it is a peak time (unless you have absolutely no choice)! We still had to queue just to get to the NEx vending machines for about 15 minutes. It would sure be nice if they could install more than the six (I think that's what they had) machines they had. We caught the 5: 17 NEx. I could have purchased the 4:45 tickets but we'd then have to rush like crazy to get to the platform.

by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/5/8 11:33
I will be arriving NRT tomorrow and need to trf to HND. Any idea how is NRT immigration situation now? Am hoping it will have subsided after the hanami season.. And can anyone pls advise the fastest option to transfer to HND. Is limo bus better option than train?
by Guest (yc) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/5/8 22:00
To yc,

I think it depends on your time range and flight. Just be sure you have all your documents ready at all times. And all travelers must fill out the customs declaration form, even if you have nothing to declare.

The fastest option to transfer to HND, again, depends on your time range and which Narita terminal you're departing to which Haneda terminal. But from train station-to-station, the Keikyu line trains should generally be the fastest and cheapest, although it can be trickier, because few trains go directly to Haneda. You also need to take care of your luggage, and the train stations at Narita are on floors different from the arrival lobby.

Meanwhile, the Limousine Bus only requires an extra 10 minutes, and the ticket counters and buses are right outside customs, regardless of your terminal. It's also impossible to board the wrong bus. The staff will make sure you're on the correct bus and store your luggage for you. But it costs 3,200 yen which is as twice as the Keikyu train.

I hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/5/9 17:07
Thanks so much for the info Uco. That was really helpful.
We just came out of Nartita. The immigration line was not as bad and we managed to get to Q on priority lane due to time constraint.
And took the limo bus to HND since its so convenient to find.
by Yc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/5/21 00:24
We will be arriving at Narita airport on 27 June 5.30pm, check out immigration and check in Peace airline and check in immigration again for 8pm flight to New Chitose airport.
Do you think we have enough time ( 1hr check out immigration, 15min check in peace airline, 30mins check in immigration again)?
Or should we stay one night at Narita and board the plane next day?
Please advise, thank you.
by Jason (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/5/21 00:43
Jason, I'm not sure if I understand your question.

Why do you need to go through immigration two times a day at Narita? Do you perhaps mean "check out/in baggage" instead of "immigration"?

How are you coming to Narita? By train from somewhere in Japan or by flight from another country? Just keep in mind that international flights can quite often delay, sometimes for hours.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/5/21 01:46

and check in Peach airline and check in immigration again for 8pm flight to New Chitose airport.

No, no immigration for your flight to New Chitose Airport.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration situation at Narita 2023/5/21 06:23
Hi Uco

We coming from Singapore by Singapore airlines and arrive at Narita airport NRT T1 5.30pm. We have a connecting flight to New Chitose airport at 8pm by Peach airline at Narita airport NRT T1 too.

Do we need to check out immigration, get our luggage, go to Peach airline counter to check in the luggage and obtain the boarding pass, than check in immigration again?

How to get the boarding pass from Peach airline If we don't check out immigration?
by Jason (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 48
prev
1 2 3
next

reply to this thread