Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 55
prev
1 2 3
next

Is the toilet enclosed? 2006/12/11 05:47
Are the toilets in Japan enclosed? You know how in men's bathrooms, the urinals are open and you have to pee right next to someone else. (I bet that is so uncomfortable!) Women have stalls in America. Do women have stalls in Japan?
by Anna rate this post as useful

... 2006/12/11 10:28
Toilets are fully enclosed with doors to the floor, not like in North America where public toilet doors often do not extend to the floor. That is only understandable, since many public toilets are squat type toilets.

As for urinals, it depends on the place. Many have no dividers between urinals, but some do have small dividers that enhance privacy just a little bit.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2007/1/31 06:49
i lived in jp for 2 years and never got the hang of those toilets, i usually ended up crapping on the floor or falling over. :(
by Mark D rate this post as useful

are you serious 2007/2/27 08:11
you have to be kidding, you spent 2 years there and still couldn't manage to hit the toilet? You must have very poor balance or something...seriously it's not that hard.
by Pat rate this post as useful

Urinelle? 2007/3/4 18:24
Where do I buy these and do you dispose of it in the toilet or waste bin?
by ms rate this post as useful

Practice makes perfect 2007/3/4 23:27
Try practicing squatting over a Western style toilet before you head over. Or even just try holding the squat position for a few minutes a few times a day, to get the hang of the balance. Squatting with no support will definately tone up leg muscles :-)
by =^.^= rate this post as useful

japanese toilet 2007/3/5 04:02
in the orphange in japan back in the 50-s thats all that the orphane had and when i came to the usa _huh whats that when i told told to sit to use the bathroom. now i am almost 59 and have trouble with my knees i appreciatew american toilets. ha ha its heck to be getting older!! kimiko kusumoto
by francescaholloway-kimiko kusumoto rate this post as useful

.. 2007/3/6 13:20
The squat style toilets are so rare in Japan these days. You have to go to the rural area to find one. Don't worry about using it, you probably won't see one.
by . rate this post as useful

. 2007/3/6 13:31
The squat style toilets are so rare in Japan these days. You have to go to the rural area to find one. Don't worry about using it, you probably won't see one.

This is a false statement.

Many places still have squat toilets, they're even found on the Shinkansen (though Western Style toilets are there too), train stations and many other public places still utilize squat toilets. Though more newer modern places will have "western" style toilets as well. Toilets designated for Handicap persons are usually a western style.
by John rate this post as useful

Toilets 2007/3/7 09:45
Someone wrote:

What a bizarre statement. You will see Japanese-style toilets as soon as you arrive at Narita Airport.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Not only in the country 2007/3/7 12:39
Yep, they definitely have them at Narita, and the train stations, and high-end department stores like Takashimaya in Shinjuku.

Subway stations in Tokyo and cheaper department stores often have no choice- it's the squat toilet or nothing.

Where it is unlikely you will see one is in people's houses, although I have occasionally. I wouldn't be surprised if houses in rural areas were more likely to have squat toilets.
by Sira rate this post as useful

yea.. 2007/3/8 13:28
To respond to the last comment, I think you can even find them in older apartments. I visited one in Chiba that had a squat toilet in a closet, basically. The front of the toilet literally ran right up to the door so you step in and you're already standing over it. Something I've never seen before in a house...

And yea whoever said you can't find squat toilets has obviously never been to Japan. They are everywhere and there are places where you have no choice even in tokyo.
by Pat rate this post as useful

Got it! I think... 2007/6/26 23:25
1. Look to the front of the squat toilet.
2. Take your pants off.
3. Squat to the floor.
4. Done!
by Richard rate this post as useful

Keep your pants on 2007/6/27 08:04
Richard wrote:

1. Look to the front of the squat toilet.
2. Take your pants off.
3. Squat to the floor.
4. Done!

That reminds me of an episode of "Dou Natteruno?" (the precursor to "Kotaete Choudai!") in which a woman described how her husband always removed his pants before using the toilet at home - usually leaving them outside the door...

by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

squatter pots 2007/6/27 12:38
I was in Japan for 8 months before I had to use one. I live in Tokyo so I never needed to use one. When I went to the Kawaguchiko area I had to go really bad and the public toilet only had squat pots. I knew how to use them but I was always afraid to. So I didnt have a choice. Im a girl, pants were a little under my knees, just make sure the shot path is clear and go. Its really not that bad, and alot of toilets have handles near them. Now I dont mind them, I actually prefer squat pots for public toilets because your not sitting on the nasty seat or having to put paper down. I would never want one for home though, I love my washet.
by Kris rate this post as useful

squat 2007/6/27 16:07
check this page from the site we are all reading:
www.japan-guide.com/e/e2003.html
I was taught by a Japanese to pull my pants down by my knees, place my feet very close to the toilet hood (see photo in above page e2003)and place my pants safely over the hood, out of the way of any liquid. it works for me.
last year I noticed that more and more public toilets in shopping malls, stores etc. in Osaka have modern toilet- bidets. our Kobe Toyoko inn had them in every room and the ones in their main floor public toilet even had a dryer inside the bowl that came in after the washlet was turned off!. Some Japanese friends even have one that plays soothing music...
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Terror. 2007/6/27 16:56
I can't stand squat toilets. Not only is it uncomfortable to be in that position (and painful!), theres always a chance you could miss and hit your clothes.

Often in stalls there will be urine on the floor and I have no choice but to step in it..worse than that, by squatting I have to get close to it and it smells horrible. Sometimes I wonder why it was designed in such a way.
by niko-chan (nicole) rate this post as useful

... 2007/6/28 07:08
I had no problem using the toilet except when wearing high heels or after drinking. Alot of small izakaya and sushi bars I was given no choice, even in Kyoto and Osaka. And after a night of drinking with Japanese, it's hard enough to stand, let alone balance in a squat position while wearing heels. Also, I recommend being careful about what you put in your pockets. My husbands Japanese and after 3 years away, even he managed to drop his wallet in the toilet twice.
by Ashley rate this post as useful

work on flexibility 2007/6/28 08:52
Using the squat toilet is only uncomfortable/ painful if you have joint problems like arthritis or are very stiff in the calves and hip joints.

A young person should not have that kind of trouble using these things- if you do already then imagine how stiff you will be when you are older! Do some stretching, practice squatting, try to increase your flexibility. Once I took up yoga what little trouble I had with that position was gone.

If you are careful then you won't miss- it's a pretty wide target. I do agree with you on the "pee on the floor" complaint- some people, especially in women's toilets because it's a bit harder for us, do miss and it is gross. If they are not well cleaned they can smell quite bad.

However anyone who has travelled in India, China, SE Asia or the Middle East shouldn't find the Japanese ones too bad. I have travelled a lot and have seen some truly awful toilets in my life and none of them have been in Japan!
by Sira rate this post as useful

Just realized 2007/6/28 14:56
Y'know I just realized that maybe I do it wrong. I am young and usually it hurts to be in that position even for 30 seconds, I usually don't squat all the way down but sort of half-way; that could be why.

Basically I squat the same way I would over a dirty western toilet.
by niko-chan (nicole) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 3: Posts 21 - 40 of 55
prev
1 2 3
next

reply to this thread