Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 33 of 33
prev
1 2

Mexican gifts? 2004/6/29 23:16
I'm a Mexican girl that will be visiting Japan on July 2nd 'till July 19th. I'm a bit worried because I know I have to bring a nice gift, but I just can't think of anything nice enough. I mean, Mexican candy is well liked by almost everyone, but... can I take those to Japan? And, Mexican crafts are nice too, but I'm not really fond of them... what should I bring? I'm staying with a couple of grown people whose children are now grown and stuff... :O.
by Kaysa rate this post as useful

. 2004/6/30 14:54
Maybe you could bring a small pinata you could show and play with your host family?

Even if you don't like Mexican crafts, your Japanese host family have probably never seen any (or many) before so would probably be thrilled to have some genuine Mexican crafts.

Maybe a Mexican cookery book for your host mother would be nice as well. I wasn't sure about this, just because *maybe* she'd be offended if she's a 21st century woman, but otherwise it's a nice gift (as long as it's got loadsa pictures!).

Colourful Alebrijes?
by Alec rate this post as useful

homestay gifts 2004/6/30 19:01
i've had many homestays in japan. you need to pack light, i assume? children's books are good (if you're australian, then things like snugglepot and cuddlepie go down well). teatowels or handtowels with aussie prints are also good options. pens and stationery are popular. posters (especially from melbourne zoo and healsville sanctuary) have been well-received, as have framed photos of my own of melbourne city lights etc. CDs of our music go down well with teenagers. beer is good for the dads. stuffed toys for infants. i once gave a set of placemats and coasters to a host mother - she loved them. as for the person from the west coast of the USA, how about a GIANT bag of peanut-butter cups? and while you're at it, send some to me!!!
by lyn rate this post as useful

Wow! 2004/7/1 17:39
Wow! Thanks a million Lyne! I've taken notes and will probably use a lot of those suggestions - they sound great! :D Thanks again!
by Alec rate this post as useful

Gift from Singapore to Japanese Family 2004/7/19 22:25
I am from Singapore and will be visiting Japanese Family in Sendai (Tokyo). I am thinking of giving the family a photo frame with pressed Orchid-flower and Tiger Balm Oinment. Do Japanese know what is Tiger Balm ? Will Japanese like it ? Any advice ?
by Catherine rate this post as useful

. 2004/7/20 00:52
Ooh..tiger balm? Er..maybe not a good idea. tiger balm smells and japanese people don't generally like that sort of medicated smell. But the orchids was a good idea
by yunner rate this post as useful

Well... 2004/7/20 01:03
Tiger Balm was such a popular souvenior back in the 80s, and was known as the magical Asian ointment that can cure almost anything. We'd tolerate the nice but strong smell in order to make us healthy and the ethnic design of the label became so trendy that they started selling non-medical things in that design. Now, Tiger Balm has gotten so popular that it's sold in almost every drug store here in Japan. But I never notice that scent, so I wonder when and where locals are using them...
by Uco rate this post as useful

AUSSIE ICON 2004/7/25 21:03
I can't believe that of all things Australian, you guys have forgotten about VIOLET CRUMBLES!!! I took some over for my friend in the UK and she went absolutely nuts over it...definitely more palatable than vegemite!!!
by VV rate this post as useful

help 2004/9/26 10:27
hey guys.... i am going to japan in 9 days, and i have host family gifts... but what about friends? what will i get my japanese friends? i have NO idea plz help!!!
by surfychicka rate this post as useful

aussie 2004/9/26 10:28
ps im from aus
by surfychicka rate this post as useful

Question 2006/2/16 11:19
I have a question...

My friend was curious, is there a Japanese involving sending someone orchids?

If so, please let me know what it is! Thanks!
by Luna rate this post as useful

German gifts 2006/2/20 00:17
This question has been posed before but I'm quite desperate. I'll study in Japan
the next half year and maybe it'd be a good idea to bring presents, for some helpfull teacher, college friends and my b'friend's family. Now what should I get
them ?? Any ideas? I already decided for some sweets and little stuff.
by an rate this post as useful

British Gifts 2007/9/27 04:36
Some british ideas that we've thought of for when my daughter goes to japan next month- Harrods or London teddy bear, sweets (Smarties, Fruit Pastilles etc), a Beano comic, some english Manga?
by Becci rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 33 of 33
prev
1 2

reply to this thread