Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 26 of 26
prev
1 2

Re: 'The Bad Sleep Well' 2007/8/26 02:22
Since it was very much overshadowed by Jojimbo, it remains fairly little known and doesn't suffer from the 'being a Classic' problem.
There is a really nice Criterion Collection DVD of it available which I manage to pick up for little money on the web.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

I know it! 2007/8/26 17:29
... and I love it - for the same reason!

Actually, my sentimental favourite Kurosawa is Waga Seishun Kui Nashi (No Regrets for my Youth).

Not a rational preference. It is far from his best, dated in every way, and all available prints are not good. But it is partly set at my alma mater, Kyoto University. And it is based on the life story of one of my heroes, Ozaki Hotsumi.

More important, the lead actress is Hara Setsuko, who goes through a transformation - one kind of woman to another - as strong as any of the acress roles in Mizoguchi's films.
by Laughing B rate this post as useful

? 2007/8/26 19:50
Anyone familliar with "Vibrator"?
by . rate this post as useful

Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki 2007/8/26 23:18
In no particular order:

Kiki's Delievery Service, Spirited Away, Whisper of the Heart, My Neighbor Totoro, Laputa Castle in the Sky, Grave of the Fireflies, The Cat Returns.

I LOVE those movies.
by Matt rate this post as useful

films 2007/8/27 18:27
another vote for

Kikujiro
Minbo no onna
Tampopo
Tokyo Story
Battle Royale (but only the first one - the sequel is terrible !)
by gozomark rate this post as useful

.. they don't make movies like that .. 2007/12/10 18:17
Not too long ago I bought some old Japanese classics on DVD - Tokyo Story, Twenty four Eyes and To Live -. They are great movies to watch. The storyline is quite simple. It involves the aging parents and their grown up children in Tokyo Story, twelve elementary school children and their beloved teacher in Twenty four Eyes and a dying civil servant in To Live. A word of caution, be sure you have plenty of tissue paper with you, you need them!
by tju rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 26 of 26
prev
1 2

reply to this thread