Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 30 of 30
prev
1 2

Re: Electricity plug adapter in Japan 2013/1/25 03:45
Hi,

I use this extension cord or powerstrip:
https://picasaweb.google.com/butchijos/24Januari2013#58370862857045327...
Hope it works with this link
(You can also enjoy some of the pictures i took on my trips to Japan ;-).

The extension cord is long because in a lot of hotels the only wall socket is in the wrong location (Murphy's law).
I use the round sockets because some of my equipment has a round plug and these do not fit in the strip shown on the picture in the post a couple back.
The 'Japanese' plug i picked up, i think, on one of the trips i made to the US. It is very simple to mount (cut the cord, slide the cord in the plug and close the plug with a little bit of pressure).

The conversion or adapter plugs you can buy for instance at airports are most of the time bulky and costly.

Have a nice trip

B. Slager
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electricity plug adapter in Japan 2013/1/25 10:37
So if I understand right, then I should bring one of this multi-cable thing(http://www.biltema.se/ProductImages/35/large/35-466_l.jpg) and plug it into the adapter and the adapter goes into the Japanese socket right? And I can plug in several devices on the multi-cable thing and still on one and the same Japanese socket through the adapter?

Yes, that is the easiest way to do it.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Electricity plug adapter in Japan 2013/1/25 20:29
There wont be any differences in charging time in case I plug in a camera and phonecharger at the same time in the multi-plug cord and plug into adapter and into the wall? I will try to post a pic (through a link) later to clearify my meaning of multi-plug. Just to be sure. Not sure if the plug from the multi-plug will fit into the adapter though...
by SweGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electricity plug adapter in Japan 2013/1/26 02:09
There we go. I made a quick picture in Paint. Hope you understand it, then I know I understood your description right :)

http://i46.tinypic.com/x8v8i.jpg
by Sweguy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electricity plug adapter in Japan 2013/1/26 12:21
There wont be any differences in charging time in case I plug in a camera and phonecharger at the same time in the multi-plug cord and plug into adapter and into the wall?

No there is no difference. And just wondering, but have you never used a plug splitter, power strip, or surge protector before?

There we go. I made a quick picture in Paint. Hope you understand it, then I know I understood your description right :)

Looks good to me!

Re: Electricity plug adapter in Japan 2013/1/26 23:18
I have used a power strip many times before. I am just not used to doing it through an adapter. That's why I am new to this.

Re: Electricity plug adapter in Japan 2013/1/27 04:48
Just to make sure.
A plug adapter (if that name is correct) is only a mechanical device. It 'converts' the physical sizes of the japanese plug pins (two flat pins) into the -in your case- the Swedish pins (two round pins spaced differently). There are no electronic or electrical components in the adapter. Also the voltage of frequency or amperage is not changed.

The story gets quite different if you use an adapter that changes the voltage from 100V (Japanese) into 230V (Sweden).

Have a nice trip.
B. Slager
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electricity plug adapter in Japan 2013/1/27 06:20
The adapter was Esther cheap so I guess it is no voltage converter. The chargers however says 100-230 V 50-60 Hz on the backside. I suppose a regular pin converter will be okay. But if I use a power strip like this with the chargers will it still work in Japan you think?

Re: Electricity plug adapter in Japan 2013/1/28 11:24
I have used a power strip many times before. I am just not used to doing it through an adapter. That's why I am new to this.

I see. Well there really is no difference here. You're just changing the plug shape and nothing else.

The story gets quite different if you use an adapter that changes the voltage from 100V (Japanese) into 230V (Sweden).

Just to clarify, those are typically referred to as voltage converters (step up or step down depending on the case) to distinguish them from plug adapters.

The adapter was Esther cheap so I guess it is no voltage converter. The chargers however says 100-230 V 50-60 Hz on the backside. I suppose a regular pin converter will be okay. But if I use a power strip like this with the chargers will it still work in Japan you think?

Yes, no problem. In essence you are turning a Japanese outlet (plug type A, 100v) into a strip of swedish outlets (europlug C or F) at 100 volts. Anything you plug into that strip needs to be able to accept 100v input to work.

Re: Electricity plug adapter in Japan 2013/1/28 19:38
The adapter I got is made for europlug type C apparently. I have quite a hard time to find a power strip with a outgoing plug of type C, only seem to be type F which is quite annoying. I got another adapter with multiple outputs which seems a bit unstable when put into the wall so I would refrain to use it, but I will bring both just in case.

I dont know if there ever were any power strips with a europlug type C as outgoing plug. Maybe I can find an adapter converting from europlug type F to type C. Though it will be a lot of adapters.

I will only bring equipment which says 100-230 V (50/60 Hz) which I guess will work in a 100 V socket without any problem. Guess they were made to be used worldwide anyway (except of the plug). I dont know if there will be any charging time difference however. The speed charger says 1-2 hrs but if that is meant for any voltage or not.

So again, you dont think there will be any problems if I plug the chargers through the power strip, through an adapter and into the Japanese socket?
by SweGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 2 of 2: Posts 21 - 30 of 30
prev
1 2

reply to this thread