Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 215 of 233: Posts 4281 - 4300 of 4652
prev
1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 ... 233
next

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/6/14 09:48
Lake of the Ozarks air temp is close to 90. Water is at 80. Boaters are here plus very noisy jet skis.

We swim beside or behind our boat dock, keeping the neighbor ducks fed with puppy chow.

Wife and I pontooned for a couple hours Friday before the arrival of the tourists. Had a BLT at Fish & Company on the lake.

Therefs no better place to be...
by Eric Davis (guest) rate this post as useful

Kaoru? 2020/6/16 13:09
We haven't heard from Kaoru since the 1st of May; I'm a little concerned.........
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/6/16 13:30
Hi Lori san

I and my family is okay, thank you for your posting. Yokohama city and the number of Japanese coronavirus patients is decreasing little by little.
This summer is hot. My home AC is fully operating.

Stay safe, Lori san and everyone.
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Kaoru 2020/6/17 13:10
Thank you for the update, Kaoru! So glad you and your family are well. I hope your health continues to be good, and that you enjoy the summer. I'm also wondering if all the houses in the Negishi Heights Navy Housing area are all torn down (removed) now. Makes me sad to think about it.

Lori
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/6/20 12:01
Hello Steffi and everyone,

There is Karuizawa live camera on this website where you can watch. Due to the effect of coronavirus, it is less crowded than usual. Many people visit here in summer.
but we don't know this year. Now the rainy season in Yokohama and Karuizawa and will end in mid-July.

https://tr.thread.ne.jp/kto2/c2/tr.cgi/https%3a//www.town.karuizawa.lg...

Stay safe.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/6/20 16:59
I was in Karuizawa today and it was super crowded, especially with people from the Greater Tokyo area who are now allowed to visit other prefectures again.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/6/20 18:12
Uji-san,

Thank you for your correct Karuizawa posting.

Checking In from Alexandria 2020/6/28 14:36
Kaoru-san, Thank you for the Karuizawa links. It is beautiful there like much of Japan that I never visited. Stay well and cool.
Eric-san, I hear there is a rise in the pandemic rate from all the activity at Lake of the Ozarks. Be careful and watch those ducks. I hear ducks do disgusting things in the water where they swim,
Steffi-san, I hope New York is finally opening up a little a little. Where did you work in Newark? I lived there from 1956 to 1959 when it was a much different place. Itfs good to hear that they are turning some of the old stores downtown into condos. The beautiful old church I attended there, Second Presbyterian behind Washington Park near the Prudential Building, is now housing for Rutgers University. I was in Newark on leave during the 1967 riots. Interesting visit. Many neighborhoods near the riots had set up barricades and were armed for protection.
Lori-san, it sounds like you are doing well. I hope your area getting back to normal.
Peter-san, you said in your last post you had not been well. I hope you are doing better.
Things are still going well here in my immediate area. Restaurants and other businesses have opened back up but most of us at-risk folks are still staying in, maybe for a lot longer. We havenft been out to eat since March and I really havenft missed it.
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/6/29 04:53
Dave san sure, any time.
I remember you were a Marine Corps helicopter electronics engineer, am I correct?
I studied in a private boy's jr and high school. I went to on the JR Yokosuka line and sometimes saw marines. The white uniform of the Navy looks nice, and that of Marines is also cool.

I think the most important holiday in the US is Independence Day, how do you celebrate this year?

Hello Lori san,
I was born 1-27 Negishi. It was nearby the fire station, top of long stairs leading to the beach. Now there are high rise apartments. The Honnmoku area was changed a lot. My parents lived in Negishi Heights when they were newly married. I was born and moved to 1-27.

Stay safe everyone.

Negishi long slope 2020/6/29 19:42
Hello again,
I wrote a mistake. That is Negishi's "Fudo Zaka", not a stair.
Japanese character "s" with a picture of stone monument. Zaka means slope.
http://theyokohamastandard.jp/article-6161/

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/6/30 07:56
Came across the following video which may be of interest. There's some footage of Bayside Courts, the housing I lived in during 1968-9. Brought back memories.
"In 1982, Takuo Otani filmed for posterity the official reversion to Japan of Honmoku Dependent Housing Area in Yokohama, including a rare glimpse inside the 200-acre complex. This is an edited and enhanced version of his film"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdxjJTzC2wM&list=FLZ4d2JA2KzdioD_y8dh9...
by Joe G. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/6/30 08:16
Here's a large collection of Yokohama photos, many from the 1960's.
https://s231.photobucket.com/user/Lola92677/profile
by Joe G (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/6/30 22:35
Dave-san...I worked in special programs for children and families all over Newark...I learned a great deal, including that people are basically very much the same, whether from Japan, Newark, or the world over, in spite of their outward differences, languages, histories, customs, reputations....

In New York things are opening up very carefully and gradually, depending on local circumstances so as to prevent resurgence in infections. We are down to fewer than ten covid deaths per day, which is good, and cases are still increasing, but at a less than 1% rate. No one fusses about wearing masks, and people do social distancing as much as possible. Bars and cafes are setting up tables for outdoor dining on closed off streets. Beauty parlors are open and very busy by appointment. Liquor stores never were closed at all, being considered an "essential business". Many of us older folks manage with deliveries and still do not go into stores, banks, post offices, or free public transportation in spite of the sterilizing precautions taken there...restrictions on numbers of people entering at one time, plastic shields, etc. No one knows what will be done in September about safely educating our 1.1 public school children in the fsll....not in private schools, colleges and universities. Many when possible will continue to do their jobs from home, which is an interesting development. My husband and I take early morning multi-mile walks in our parks, woods, quiet streets, and our own building grounds....we are lucky in being able to do that, even in this major city.

Stay safe, everyone.....

by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you Joe G. 2020/7/4 12:06
I lived in Yokohama from 1952 to 1954 as an army dependent and was able to visit Yokohama many times during 1964 and 1965 when I was a Marine stationed nearby at Atsugi. The old Photo Bucket pictures bring back many memories of a great place and goods times.
by Dave-san (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/7/4 22:56
On this 4th of July I would like to say thanks for the memories to the friends I served with at the 106th U.S. Army Hospital, Yokohama, Japan. Also, thank you Japanese people for your wonderful hospitality, and God Bless America!

Wally
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

4th of July in 1950s Yokohama 2020/7/6 00:43
My mom and dad reserved seats to watch fireworks on the deck of a family occupied river boat in Yokohama. Others were doing the same thing nearby on other boats.

Someone told me the river had been channeled into a series of aluminum tubes and covered over to make space for more buildings near the bayfront.

I don't know what happened to the boat people...
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Eric 2020/7/7 22:50
Back in the 1960s I was a student at the University of Missouri, and a lot of students worked at the Lake of the Ozarks during the summer. My girlfriend worked at the Holiday Inn, and I would go visit her on the weekends. When she got off work we would go to this huge rock that was at the edge of the Lake. A lot of kids would go there, and we would party the night away! Have you heard of this rock, and is it still there? If so, do kids still go there to party?

Wally
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Lake of the Ozarks 2020/7/8 00:01
The "big rock" is still here.
The Holiday Inn has been renamed to another brand.

We were swamped with visitors over the 4th of July weekend.
The beer trucks were running (seemingly) 24 hours a day...

Att: Dave 2020/7/14 07:40
Your welcome. I still have a Kimono doll, encased in glass and a 18"tall, beautifully carved wood Buddha that I got in Yokohama in'68.
by Joe G. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/7/15 03:27
I still have a Japanese doll like you describe but the glass enclosure is long gone.

My dad acquired a wood Buddhist statuette sometime in the early 1950s. Itfs about 40 inches tall in one piece, with the exception of the lotus flower held in one hand.
An expert on Japanese art told me the statue is of gKanon.h

Page 215 of 233: Posts 4281 - 4300 of 4652
prev
1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 ... 233
next

reply to this thread