Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 216 of 233: Posts 4301 - 4320 of 4652
prev
1 ... 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 ... 233
next

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/7/15 05:10
Kannon is the goddess of mercy.
There is a large statue in Ofuna. You can see it from the train.
I purchased one in bronze, was 2 feet high and sent it to some friends as a gift..bad move..I wish I had kept it, it was beautiful. And was not cheap.

When I came home in 1969 I sent 16 yukatas along with other treasured items.
I have since then worn out all but one.
I should have gone into the export business. Thought once of having my family purchase some 45s and sent me them to resell. Didnt do that, too much risk .
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/7/15 13:14
Kaoru-san....

I have a quick question. I have a friend in Kyoto, who was given an American bank check she would like to deposit into her Citibank account, which she had opened here in NY.

Are there any Citibank branches in Tokyo, or Yokohama? Online they show a branch in Otemachi Park Building, in Chiyoda-ku.........but I read elsewhere that this branch of Citibank no longer exists.

I would like to help her deposit this check without having to send it by mail to NY. She is reluctant to use digital depositing, though that is probably the best way.

Thank you, Kaoru-san, for any information.

Steffi

by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/7/15 15:18
Hello Steffi san

Citibank seems to have changed its business to SMBC Trust Bank. Please go to the sales office on this link and consult with bank employee.
I called Citibank and SMBC, but they didn't tell me the details unless I go to them.

https://www.smbctb.co.jp/en/branch/kanto.html

Cheers,
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/7/15 20:23
Thank you Kaoru-san.

I have passed along the information. I am sure it will be helpful.

I hope you are staying safe. In the US, as they know, the Covid pandemic is growing quickly in the majority of States, which is a shame. I am afraid other states will now be like NY, where we have now had over 400,000 cases. In the US there are now over 3.4 million........hard to comprehend. Some patients see many complications after recovery, even in younger peoole....

Be vigilant and don't take risks, everyone.

Thank you, Kaoru-san, for your help.

Steffi

Lady of Ofuna 2020/7/15 22:41
I remember a "Lady of Ofuna" movie while living in Japan.
There was a scene involving a house fire...
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/7/16 00:10
Ofuna was also the site of the infamous prison camp, featured in the book and movie Unbreakable.
I have the book, it is not for the faint of heart. I visited Ofuna once on my way to Kamakura. The citizens were strangely distant, now I know why.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/7/16 06:02
Hello Steffi-san

Anytime, she can cash a check on SMBC maybe and I hope so.
The number of people infected with the virus are increasing again in Japan, I guess we need to be more careful.

Stay safe,

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/7/18 23:42
by kazu (guest) rate this post as useful

History of Yokohama North Dock 2020/7/26 11:50
by kazu (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks ! 2020/7/29 23:37
Thank you, Kazu, for a trip down memory lane...
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

About Yokohama city 2020/8/3 10:50
Hello everyone,

There are 1082 coronavirus patients in Yokohama city on Sunday, 46 people dead, 811 discharged. And 3 critically ill patients. The Japanese government has not yet issued the emergency declaration again. It delegates to the local government. Tokyo, Yokohama and several prefectures and cities have issue their own warnings. We follow it.
But Japanese has a custom of going home and traveling during summer vacation. We are worried about it.

BTW, I heard the large scale fire near by LA.

God bless you.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/8/6 11:27
Today was the 75th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. We saw the very moving ceremony streamed digitally, with speeches by Prime Minister Abe, the governor of the prefecture, and the mayor of Hiroshima City, as well as childrens' representatives signifying the future. There was a minute of silent prayer observed at 7:15 PM our time (8:15 am Aug 6 Japan time) which was the exact time of the attack. The general message was a pleading for world peace, and world wide disarming of these weapons. May it happen as soon as possible.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/8/7 10:40
Steffi san,

Thank you very much for your posting, Japan is hot today and 75 years ago. Don't use nuclear weapons again. That was enough in Japan alone.
This is a famous Nagasaki picture. A brother waiting for his sister to be cremated, This was taken by an American photographer.

http://www.kirishin.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/yakiba.jpg

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/8/9 18:05
Kaoru-san....

One wonders what happened to the rest of his family? Where were his parents?

Thank you for sending.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/8/9 19:24
Steffi san,

This picture was taken by Marine Corps Sgt, Joseph Roger O'Donnell.
The Japanese boy was piggybacking on his little brother, Joseph had this picture in his trunk box for a long time. And decades later he published. Boy's younger brother was already passed and waiting for cremation.
We don't know detailed about this boy, his parents or siblings probably they were bombed...

Pope told much of misery of the war about this pic.

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/8/11 20:43
I remember carrying piggy-back was called "ombu".....and was very familiar....

Thank you, Kaoru-san, for the picture.

May we never have wars like that again.....

Steffi 2020/8/12 02:36
Back in 1961 I lived at 604 Riverside Drive, Apt. 5N. It was pretty safe back then, although when coming back to the apartment one day a half-gallon milk carton filled with water was dropped off the roof of my building and missed my head by a foot, my trousers got wet when it hit the ground (in more ways than one). However, I heard that crime is skyrocketing on the upper West Side. Is this true?

Wally
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Wally 2020/8/12 05:26

New York City is so highly diverse, and ever-changing, that it's hard to generalize. New York City violent crime numbers as a whole have been going down for many years, and most areas are regarded as very safe. I am not familiar with upper Riverside Drive, where you lived, though I used to live on Riverside Drive, in the lower 70's until 1975, which was lovely.

But we have had a very high rate of infection from the pandemic virus, as you know, almost 500 thousand cases we know of, and the city has been shut down and is just now beginning to open up. We have sacrificed many businesses, stores, tourism, offices, the arts, sports, etc in the interest of public health......we may be the one state where infection rates went down and stayed down since re-opening began but we have paid a price.......hopefully NYC will bounce back once the virus is controlled as it did after 9/11, where many families also fled the City as they have now.

In the general area you are asking about, several empty hotels have been turned into temporary housing for homeless men, some with untreated mental issues, drug addiction, other illnesses and problematic behavior. Reportedly there have been cases of people being accosted in the streets there by panhandlers, or worse, as these things happen where streets are empty of pedestrians, stores are boarded up, and police are few and mostly in cars....

Also, there will be many desperate out of work people, candidates for evictions, etc, which always increases crimes of various sorts. Our unemployment rate is now approximately 10%. That doesn't count those who are ineligible for unemployment insurance, such as small business owners, free lancers, etc.

We are hoping for the best....for government to make wise choices, for cool heads to prevail, for vaccines and better treatments for the virus to emerge. We will see.....

I hope you are well.....where are you? What part of the country?

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/8/12 12:58
I just looked it up.....in NY we have had over 400,000 covid cases, not 500,000. Bad enough....I didn't mean to exxagerate....

Re: Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2020/8/13 01:51
I think the current outbreak of corona virus have left each governments out of control...

There is an urgent need to develop and distribute antiviral drugs that are strong and have no side effects. But preventing infections is difficult, so I think there are important to increase governments spending more on medical facilities and reduce victims as much as possible.

I think this will be a big and long battle between humans and viruses.

Page 216 of 233: Posts 4301 - 4320 of 4652
prev
1 ... 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 ... 233
next

reply to this thread