Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 3 of 7: Posts 41 - 60 of 129
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
next

Liz Dalby... 2006/7/21 11:39
For the second time on the thread, Ms. Dalby didn't actually become a geisha. She went through some of the geisha experience as a sociologist and a writer, but she was not officially affiliated with a teahouse and only served at parties of friends. She made no secret of the fact that she was a sociologist, not a geisha. And again, she spoke fluent Japanese and studied shamisen for a long time before her geisha studies.

Anyhow, I'd have to say it's probably impossible for a foreigner to become a geisha, and if you came to Japan you would probably better understand why. Being a geisha would first force you to become perfectly Japanese in speech and manner, and this is not something many westerners want to do. I live here and love it, but I am proud of my western heritage too and would not want to lose it.

By all means study Japanese and study any Japanese arts you like (I know several people studying traditional instruments), but becoming an actual geisha is probably impossible.
by Kate rate this post as useful

. 2006/7/21 12:06
The above poster has the best advice. Sorry girls, you will never be real geisha, you have to be Japanese, with some kind of family link to a teahouse or geisha house of some kind.

Since you were not born in Kyoto, you can do the next best thing- learn Japanese, come to Japan (whether or not you will like living here is another big question- it is not all tea houses, kimonos and shamisens- there are crowded trains, millions of people in a tiny country, noise, humidity, culture shock) then start learning shamisen, koto, how to put on a kimono (there are schools here that teach that as well!) watching kabuki etc, and you will get the fun parts of being a geisha without the negatives. Since you were not born in Japan I'm afraid that's really the only option.

As above, Liz Dalby trained in the arts of a geisha, as you can if you want, but was never accepted as one by what is an extremely closed society that even most Japanese never see into.
by karan rate this post as useful

All about Geisha. 2006/8/9 00:53
Hiya,
My name is Cherri. I have deeply researched about Geisha.
The do not start at an early age (Thats the old style WWII changed that)
You will train at a special school that helps teach Tea ceremony, dance, music, calligraphy and more.
One you have learnt a massive amount and your Okasaan thinks your ready she will find you a big sister. Once you finish your education you will then get a new name and turn your collar(Turn Geisha)
You will still go to Geisha school, you still have to be learning. You will have different events once geisha with te house partys and much more.
Any questions email me.
I want to own an Okiya when i grow up because i know there will be no chance of me becoming Geisha. (You dont have to be a geisha to own an okiya)

Cherri
by Cherri rate this post as useful

Agree 2006/8/9 01:05
i agree with you kate. although how much i would love to be geisha. It would be impossible for me (and it took a while for me to realize that)

And Shock.
Arthur Golden (Memoirs of a geisha' fooled us all! the events that sayuri took place in are not actual geisha events. and Mineko Iwasaki sewed him (and won). because geisha are not supposed to tell of the inside life she told him stuff and he credited her when she asked not to. she got death threats and all sorts.
by Cherri rate this post as useful

Yes! 2006/8/9 04:11
I've actually seen quite a few non-Japanese people become Geisha, though I highly reccomend that you be skilled in one of the arts. The only way you would be considered is if you have something specail which sets you apart from the Japanese females wishing to become geisha.
by Emma rate this post as useful

Kelli well you can beceom top giesha 2006/8/9 05:56
Hi Kelli well you can become top Giesha because of your form and out surpass the Japanese women because of your form and a Giesha with a very wide and big bottom will be more elegant and more appealing to both Japanese and westerners alike because you are going to be verry high top giesha and that will mark history that it will make you Giesha goddess because that is the top and they makr Africa home of Giesha goddeses because of the rounded bottom and that is will be the main attraction.

A geishg goddess is a black giesha or a giesh that is mixed of Japanese and African decent put a shock to the world and the painting of geisha godesses thats why it will mark history.

Well you are going to put giesha in a higher position Kelli of being African-American and that position is called Giesha goddessand a giesha goddess is a geisha that have more curves than the traditional giesha.

I bet there are Colombian gieshas out there that out performed the Japanese women because that is changing nowadays.

Well good luck and learn how to speak fluently Japanese you could be the only foreginer to put gieshas in a higher position.

Sincerly
Miguel

I am not intrested because I am a man but if a daughter of mne likes to become one when I have one I'll say yes because is a beautiful artistic culuture where I ahve seen in the movie memoriuos of a giesha

first of all good luck
by MIguel A. Alarcon rate this post as useful

.. 2006/8/9 11:18
Well, go to the geisha district of Gion in Kyoto, ans see if you can find any geisha or maiko-san who are not Japanese. I guarantee you that you won't.

If there are foreign geisha you can be sure they aren't in one of the traditional tea houses but a more modern setting, and really they are just dressing up for men who want to see a "geisha" but can't get into one of the tea houses.
by JH rate this post as useful

very slight chance 2006/8/11 23:32
Many of you on here have told us that it is probably impossible, bu that doesnt mean completely that still mens there is a .1% chance. And i know that isnt very big but itis a chance. Now if they all learned Japanese, began learning how to dance, sing, play an instrament, then moved to Japan and became familiar with one of the okias there is a chance although very slight that they could make it. And I know that some ofyou here may live in Japan instead of trying to diminsh thier dream try and help them out even if you dont think they will make it.
by T rate this post as useful

well... 2006/8/12 11:11
If you lived in Japan and knew more about everyday Japanese life, you would understand why we have answered as we have. We are not saying this just to kill people's dreams, we are presenting reality.
by HW rate this post as useful

Dream of determination 2006/8/18 06:22
I know it seems impossible but it is also my goal to become a foreign geisha. I've always been curious of the japanese culture but when I read the book Memoirs of a Geisha,Geisha: a life i melted knowing this is what i've been wanting all along. I'm not letting anyone bring me down because I know what I want and if it takes years let it, because I'm never letting go. I'm 13 and have been learning japanese language and I know pretty much everything about becoming one.It is hard but it takes hard determination. I have brown hair and dark brown eyes and lips that any geisha would hope to have. I know the rules the respect and discipline. I am willing to take that chance. I have one furisode (swinging sleeve kimono) that I bought. I've learned to walk, stand and get up in it. It was difficult at first but know it's a breeze. I have also tought myself to dance emotionally without showing it (only in my dance not on my face). Dancing with fans is somewhat difficult but I've pracitcally mastered it. My hardest goal yet is to learn how to play the shamisen. And having a okiya excepting me. If you know of a okiya willing to except me, email me. please.

thank you
Payton
by Payton rate this post as useful

I think you should go for it 2006/8/31 23:30
wow awesome denise i say ,you should go for it i wanted to be a geisha when i was younger after i read the book memwoirs of a geisha I know were your'e coming from the make-up ,the music,everything about them is amazing,from what i remeber an american women became the 1st un-japanese geisha,she moved the when she was like 11 or 16(always get the two mixed uo :P)so yea give it a shot ,but you know you outta practice the language ,their customs so if you decide to really go through with it, you'll be more at ease
by sOMEbOdY rate this post as useful

Yes, and I too 2006/9/5 12:24
Yes I do pray it's possible. Because I too want to become a geisha. I am probably the first girl who wants to become geisha and is not inspired by Memoirs of a Geisha. I cannot stand this movie. It is very far from reality of the geisha world.
by Mimi rate this post as useful

To put myself in this 2006/9/9 01:49
I think it would be great if non-Jananese people could become Giesha. I have been studying this part of the JApanese Culture and im Obsessed! I love the whole idea! I only wish i was of Japanese inheritence.
by Holly rate this post as useful

Cherri, so you want to own an okiya 2006/9/19 03:27
Please tell us more. Do you currently live in Japan?

I wish we simply had Japanese style okiya and ochaya elsewhere in the world for others who would like to share in these customs and ways of life. Then being or not being Japanese would not be an issue.

Olenka
by Olenka rate this post as useful

every girl can be a geisha 2006/9/20 22:36
dear denise, i opened this site today and saw all the comments, i feel really surprised by your decision to become a geisha and you're just 14, not japanese and know about geisha.
well i am not japanese neither, I am a 24 years old lebanese girl, never been in japan, and don't know japanese language nor traditions.
but i know many things about geisha and read about them, and i think that every girl can be a geisha (not a real one of course) in her country. i mean i want to get married and have children and a nice family and treat my husband as a geisha do . i like to know everything possible, arts, music, singing, dancing, theatre, writing, reading, cooking, serving tea , beeing lovable, i think once i do all these things i could be in a way like a geisha.
and since i know it's impossible for me to be geisha i realized that this was the best thing to do to feel like a one. geisha is a girl willing to be perfect. so that's why i think every girl in a certain way can be or even feel like a geisha.
thought i woud love to go visit japan one day, see a real geisha.
by Pamela(lebanese journailst) rate this post as useful

Not Happening 2006/10/2 09:58
First off, you must be able to go to Japan. Then, learn Japanese in a very short time. When you think about it, it is impossible for you. There are people still enrolling to become Maiko, and because they are in Japan and speak Japanese, they will be chosen. Not you.
I hope you see things logically and not take this as an offense. I'm just giving what I think is good advice. Don't waste your life and pursue a greater career.

Be the best you can be, for that is all there is of you.
by Masha rate this post as useful

i hate to be the bringer of bad news 2006/10/15 06:53
i think its a great dream, wanting to be a geisha, and it makes me happy that there are people so interested by japanese culture. but, the japanese arent as accepting of foreigners.

both of my parents are japanese, but i myself am not. my father and mother adopted me when my father was working in america (he speaks english fluently and thats how i do as well). after my older sister was born, my mother wasnt able to have any more kids, so they decided to adopt me (i am of african and irish decent). they brought me into their lives right after i was born and moved us back to kyoto.

growing up, i was made fun of by other kids for not looking japanese (yes, it does happen) and lived a pretty miserable childhood with no friends but my big sister.

but when we moved to tokyo, that changed a lot. people there were more accepting and i saw kids who were 100% japanese who looked less japanese than i did. it was pretty crazy.

now, i am at college in america and im actually writing a paper on Liza Dalby for my Sociology class (its my minor, psychology is my major) and thats how i came across this thread.

i was happy but sad to see it because the chances are slim to none. the people of kyoto were so unaccepting of me, and i grew up in japan, and i consider myself just as japanese as anyone else living there. and even still . . .

but who knows, maybe things have changed. i havent been to kyoto in . . . wow, almost 11 years. maybe things are different, but probably not.

sorry. but dont give up completely, i mean to anyone who wants to be a geisha and isnt japanese, because as the times change, so do people.
by Ninamori rate this post as useful

I wanna be a Geisha too!! 2006/10/17 04:37
I am from the UK and I am really interested in the Geisha culture!
Maybe you should try reading Memoirs of aGeisha by Arthur Golden!
by Mia rate this post as useful

Me too... 2006/10/21 11:37
I'm 15 aswell but have not a trace of japanese blood. From what I've seen it would be the most inertesting profession. I myself am interested in the arts, including music and traditional arts. I doubt it would ever come true but I think it would be awesome to become a geisha. I with ya all the way.
by unknown rate this post as useful

geisha for me means perfect woman 2006/10/22 01:43
I don't think that someone who is not from Japane could be a geisha.Their culture,dresing,dancing,singing...that is something that nobody else can do it.You can try,you can give all your best,but it's something that is not in your blood.And what would happen if every girl on this planet became a geisha?Whatever,i think that the geishas are the greatest womens on this world.I don't think that i can find the real word to describe them!But i'll try:They are gorgeous,beautifulle,divine...If some woman or girl wants to be perfect,she should take a example from them!
by by sonja rate this post as useful

Page 3 of 7: Posts 41 - 60 of 129
prev
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
next

reply to this thread