Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 3 of 3: Posts 41 - 51 of 51
prev
1 2 3

bestfoods mayo 2007/8/24 12:25
i've been using bestfoods mayo ever since for my tuna spread and potato salad and when i came here in japan i was happy to find it in some supermarkets. one time, though, i wasn't able to find one and was stuck with kewpie mayo. i should say the taste was so different because kewpie doesn't have that rich taste that bestfoods mayo have. i must admit though that i like kewpie's packaging than bestfoods. very convenient to use.
by tralala rate this post as useful

Cupid mayonnaise OK for pregnant women? 2008/8/18 09:53
Does anyone know if Cupid mayonniase is OK for preganant woman? I'm prgenant and am a big fan of Cupid mayonnise. In my opinion, it is the best in the world, beating anything sold in the west.
by jessica rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/18 11:54
Commercial mayonnaises in general use pasteurized eggs so they shouldn't pose a salmonella health risk. Unlike western mayonnaise, however, Japanese mayonnaise usually contains a small amount of MSG so you may want to avoid it for that reason. Here's a discussion on MSG and pregnancy:

http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/psafe/0,,45df,00.htm...

Btw, I'm assuming you mean "Kyupi" (or "Kewpie") mayonnaise with the baby on the bottle (couldn't find anything on "Cupid Mayonnaise"), however all Japanese mayonnaises can probably be treated the same with respect to health and pregnancy.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Best Foods, Kewpie, Daikoku 2008/8/25 11:38
WOW! A mayo debate. I like very much (in Borat's voice).

I like the flavour of Best Food's mayonaise for tuna sandwiches, potato salads and BLTs.

Of the 'European' mayonaises, a lot seem lacking in flavour, such as ETA. It's hard to describe what the 'x factor' is but Best Foods has it.

Japanese mayonaise I love with teppanyaki, kaarage chicken, in my california roll, with fried rice/noodles LOL. i can just about eat it with anything plain and savoury. Kewpie seems to be the only commercially available variety and is rather on the salty side. My absolute favourite version is found at the Daikoku teppanyaki branches around Auckland (New Zealand). Freshly made, has everything you want from Kewpie but subtlely salty, you can have it on steak, on fish, on prawns, on chicken, on your fried rice on ANYTHING! DROOOLLLLL... I wish there was a commercially made version available.
by Jean rate this post as useful

Eggless Mayo? 2009/3/6 13:54
Hi,

I am allergic to Egg. Any pointers to Eggless Mayo in Tokyo? If it exists, please post the brand name and a picture of how the Mayo bottle looks like.

Thanks so much.

Sowm
by sowm (guest) rate this post as useful

What an awesome thread 2009/9/27 11:12
To my experience mayonnaise is quite different flavour everywhere even if the same brand - for instance Hellmans' in the UK is not really the same as the one in Czech Republic (for me most British brands are a bit too salty, except the one from Heinz, which seems to have a bit of the Heinz Salad Cream added).
I've finally tried the Japanese one out of curiosity, and found it to be similar to a Swiss mayonnaise sold in aluminium tubes like tooth-paste (forgot the brand tho) and I really like it.
IMHO mayonnaise is one of the larger-than-life subjects which should receive more love :)
by evil_twin (guest) rate this post as useful

Many types of mayo 2009/10/19 09:40
Yes, mayonnaise is very different all over the world. I love Japanese mayonnaise on my rice and with seafood, but I use American mayonnaise (Hellman's is the best) for sandwiches and other things. Miracle Whip is a very gross American mayonnaise. It is the most popular among Southerners, and although I am from the South, I still prefer Hellman's. Miracle Whip is very sweet and thin, while Hellman's is a bit more tangy, less sweet, and has a thick consistency. It is white with a yellowish tint.
by kqbash rate this post as useful

Any North American mayonnaise? 2010/1/14 01:56
I am from North America, and now living in Japan. I notice the difference between the mayonnaise too. I think the Japanese mayonnise has more flavor, but I can not use it in the same way as my American mayonnaise. For example tuna fish and chicken salad sandwichs taste different when I use the Japanese mayonnaise. Does anyone know where I can find North American mayonnaise in Tokyo?
by gaijin111 rate this post as useful

costco 2010/1/16 19:29
costco probably has some

if you don't mind a little work you can make your own.

the only difference between western mayo and japanese mayo is the vinegar that is used. mayo is just eggs, oil and vinegar, and whatever spices you like thrown in (mustard and cayenne pepper are popular options)

if you want a japanese mayo use rice based vinegar. if you want western mayo use white vinegar.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Australia 2010/3/17 12:35
Kewpie is so so great - the best! And regarding mayo in australia, anotehr great brand you can buy here is Thomy brand. it's not sweet at all, it has the traditionaleuropean eggy flavour. You can find it everywhere. Brands like Praise are really sweet which alot of people don't like. But i dont think there is any australian owned mayo company.
by Lily (guest) rate this post as useful

kqbash correction 2010/3/18 11:39
hey kqbash ... just to let you know ... hellmann's mayonaise is canadian not american!
by orangecat3 (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 3 of 3: Posts 41 - 51 of 51
prev
1 2 3

reply to this thread